• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Lynes

Ideas for Cookbooks

An difficult question I know, but how do you come up with ideas for cookbooks when it appears that everything has been done over and over again? (This from someone with a fairly serious cookbook habit that finds it a physical impossibility to walk past a book shop in case there's a cookery related volume he hasn't seen before or already purchased).

I'm not sure what I do is really 'new.' I think I do it in my own time, in my own style, and that's what makes it different. That and the fact that it was impossible to be quite as multi-national in previous generations as it is now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)