• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Restaurants

Suvir Saran

As we speak of Indian restaurants across the many regional US and other forums, it gets difficult to keep track of them without making it an ordeal. The system is great, if you know the name, you can search easily, but I think this thread could serve the novice well, by giving links to the many Indian restaurant threads we have had in the past.

Please take time and post a link (or two) to the Indian restaurant (s) that you may have started a thread on, or remember reading about on eGullet.

Maybe you can say a few things as you post the link as to why that particular restaurant works for you. Or just why you have taken time to post about it.

Thanks all for contributing to this thread. :smile:

Thali

AddressYellow.jpg

Fat Guy had started this thread about Thali

What do you all think? Please post about Thali on the link above.

Thali is serving some amazing dishes in a very beautiful setting. A grand bank building houses the restaurant. The restaurant has what some find to be a well thought out wine list. The restaurant also has a sommelier. Not many Indian restaurants have one on staff.

Peter Beck the chef from Tamarind (NY Times 2 Stars) is the chef at Thali and Hemant Mathur (NY Times 2 Stars) is billed as consultant for Tandoori foods.

Our very own prolific Indian forum eGulleteer, Prasad2 is the owner.

I have enjoyed 2 meals at Thali. Upon my return, I am hoping to make a trek into CT and try the food again.

Click here to check out Thali's website and to see some of what is being cooked in the kitchen.

Since we know Prasad2 is the owner, please feel free to question him on here about Thali and any other questions you may have. I am sure Prasad would be happy to share his side of things.

Bukhara Grill, NYC (has two locations)

217 E 49th St

New York, NY 10017

(Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues)

and

230 E. 58th Street

Between 2nd and 3rd Ave.

New York, NY 10022

The management and some of the chefs had worked for years in Bukhara, New Delhi.  It is the restaurant that has defined the Indian food movement for the most part across many countries.

While Bukhara serves mostly foods from Northern India and that too from the North West Frontier, it has gained immense popularity amongst Indians from many different regions.

Link to thread on Bukhara Grill, NYC

Bombay Clay Oven, Denver, CO

165 Steele Street

Cherry Creek North

303-377-4454

An imposing facade leaves a lasting impression on most that will drive by this important street. In fact that is exactly what made us go back to it for dinner. The visual impact of the free standing restaurant was enough to leave us wanting to come back to try the restaurant.

More attractive than the other Indian restaurants we have visited, Bombay Clay Oven has the best food yet of the restaurants we have visited.

I most enjoyed the food coming out in ceramic bowls (nice white ones) instead of the usual (unfortunately all of their charm has died because of the over use in the Sub-Continental restaurants from India in the US and other countries) copper and stainless ones.

CLICK HERE For link to the thread on Bombay Clay Oven

Diwan Grill

148 East 48th ST (Between Lexington Ave & 3rd Ave)

New York - 212-593-5425

This spacious East Midtown Restaurant serving authentic Indian cuisine popular with the locals and the EGulleteers will satisfy the most sophisticated Indian food lovers as well as initiate and convert the most stalwart of skeptics.

Definitely best in New York. A perfect balance of spices and a haven for kababs impressed me at Diwan Grill. A real jewel in the crown is the best Lamb Chops you will ever encounter from the Tandoor, made by Chef Hemant Mathur.

Hemant Mathur cooked at Bukhara in New Delhi. First time I have been there after scoring Two Stars from the NY Times by Eric Esimov, I was more thrilled and moved with the food and in my opinion Diwan Grill truly deserves Three Stars.

CLICK HERE to read more about Diwan and chef Hemant Mathur.

Edited by Suvir Saran (log)

In the Seattle area-

Raga

Kirkland, Wa (Downtown Kirkland)

Taste of India

Seattle, Wa (Roosevelt Ave near University District)

Shamiana

Seattle, Wa (Ravenna area)

and

Kirkland, Wa (Houghton Market area)

Thread with discussion of these restaurants

Sahib

Redmond, Wa (Redmond Town Center)

No Discussion link for this one, but they put out some nice stuff.

Udupi Palace

Bellevue/Redmond, Wa (Crossroads Shopping Center)

Udupi Palace Discussion

Edited by Schielke (log)

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Clay Pit, Austin, TX

Situated in a landmark building, it offers what many believe to be some of the better rendering of Indian dishes in North America.

CLICK HERE to read about our very own eGullet dinner at Clay Pit. You will have to check page 5 onwards of the linked thread.

Banjara, New York City, NY

First Ave and 6th Street

"I went to Banjara tonight, for the first time in several months. It was a date. As far as I'm concerned, the food was the same as ever, i.e. very good, and one helpful thing that was done was to fulfill my date's request to have Chicken Mahkani to be made. The menu offers Dal Makhani but not Chicken Makhani, and the result of the substitution was good." - From eGulleteer Pan

CLICK HERE to read more of what Pan has to say and others as well.

All India Cafe, West LA

"If you like Indian food , and want a great place on the west side try All India Cafe on Santa Monica Blvd at Bundy in WLA. its on the second floor.

Whats great about this place, is that the food is very fairly priced, and the quality is excellent. If you like good spices and less of the oil this is the place to go.. This is a great place to eat indian food multiple times a week.. I wouldnt call it a place to impress a client or date, but you'll always come back for more."

- From eGulleteer bperlow

CLICK HERE to read more about All India Cafe and what bperlow and others had to say about this restaurant.

Saffron

338 Bloomfield Ave,

Hoboken, NJ

(201-892-5854)

"The food was very good. I definately recomend checking it out sometime. The prices for the menu dishes also seem reasonable, especially compared to either India on the Hudson or Karma Kafe. They also apparently do delivery themselves, unlike Karma Kafe/India on the Hudson, who do only deliver via the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" delivery service."

- from eGulleteer klemmerm

CLICK HERE to read more about this restaurant.

Dimple Chaat House, New York City, NY

30th Street, between Broadway and 5th

"Loosen up folks !! That you get a semblence of chaat in NYC,

and kosher on top, should be a blessing.

Yes, its not Mumbai, or Dilli (just waiting for the fourth city to go native ) and yes, the chaat is made with a gujurati tint....

I still prefer it to anything in the public-transport-accessible tri-state area.

The best time of go to Dimple is in the weekends, around noon -

You get to chat with the ladies behind the counter and get some tips on where to get hard-to-get ingredients. "

-from eGulleteer Anil

CLICK HERE to read more about Dimple in NYC and Jackson Heights.

Tokyo/Yokohama

Moti

4 locations in Tokyo and 2 in Yokohama

Northern India homestyle cooking

http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g247000/

Japanese only

Yokohama

Raani

http://raani.org/

some English/mostly Japanese

A group of friends and I just had a cooking class with the owner Hari Om today. Really, really great stuff!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

In EZE

Katmandu

3547 Cordoba,

Buenos Aires

Tel: 4963-1122

Open only for dinner, and closed on Sundays. I go there every time I am in town, not because it is very good, but many of the local folks insist I accompany them there. Portenos, are not very advanterous with spices and exotic is what indian food is characterised as.

Bengal

837 Arenales

This restaurant is not really Indian in the traditional sense. An Argentinian diplomat who was posted in New Delhi for a long time, came back and opened a restaurant in the Center of the City, catering to essentially the business folks with one page of the menu devoted to Indian cuisine. So if there are a bunch of people ina group, and some want to try indian entrees while others don't - this is a gentle introduction in a city known to have the best beef in the world.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

In London

Zaika

Kensington High Street

London W8 5SF

I like this restaurant a lot. The menu is very ecelectic. It is expensive by the standards of curry houses in London. Last time we ordered the tasting menu, which is not so common amongst Indian restaurants that I've been to.

I'll wait for our resident 'bhadrolok to fill in all about the scene in London :biggrin:

anil