• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working with Chefs

I've enjoyed your books with Jean-Georges Vongerichten a great deal.

Can you discuss the challenges and rewards on working on this style of chef-driven book? More specifically, how do you go about it? Do you sit next to him in the kitchen typing on a laptop as he goes along? Or do you work with recipes he supplies?

Is it difficult to break down such complicated cooking into simple recipes?

I've enjoyed your books with Jean-Georges Vongerichten a great deal.

Can you discuss the challenges and rewards on working on this style of chef-driven book? More specifically, how do you go about it? Do you sit next to him in the kitchen typing on a laptop as he goes along? Or do you work with recipes he supplies?

The biggest challenge in working with JG was finding the time; we're both pretty busy. When we do, we cook together, with me scrambling from stove to laptop (I lost one laptop to vinegar spillage). Every recipe we've published was cooked by us, side by side, or at least by him with me by his side (and occasionally vice versa).

Is it difficult to break down such complicated cooking into simple recipes?

Quite easy, actually, as long as he is willing to take the guidance of a home cook, which he always has been. If something is crazy difficult I tell him so and we either skip it – that is, discard the notion of doing the recipe – or try to figure out a way around it.