• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's next?

Welcome to eGullet, Mr. Bittman.

I have two questions that I hope you will comment on. First, what thoughts or advice do you have for those here who are passionate about food and cooking, but who want to write about food, rather than work in restaurants? Second, you have had such a productive career so far, what projects do you have in the works or are you considering for the next few years?

Thanks for spending some time with us.

RK

Having never worked in a restaurant, or had any desire to, I understand the sentiment. But there are only a few dozen people in the country making a living as food writers. Corny as it is, a lot of success is about persistence. If you want to write about food, start with a local paper and see if you can work your way into bigger venues. Don't expect to make a living for a long time, or big money ever.

I'm working on a big international book, and have been since I finished How to Cook Everything. I'm at the stage where, frankly, I think it will stink. But every book has that stage, so I'm not too worried.