• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How did you know?

Thank you very much for taking the time to come and chat with us here at egullet!

I am curious about how and when you decided this what you wanted to do for a living. Did you grow up as a picky child or one who ate everything? Did your love of food come about at an early age or not until later in life? Why writing over teaching or restarant work?

Whenever I read your books or columns, I am amazed by your depth of knowledge on various topics, where does the inspiration for your topics come from?

It is a lot of questions I realize,

sorry! :unsure:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I grew up eating everything that tasted good. When I went to college I could find nothing good to eat, so for about a year I drank Coke and ate vanilla ice cream. Then I started cooking. When it was time to write – I always wanted to be a writer - cooking was what I knew the most about. They say 'write about what you know' so I have. And since then I have continued to learn. And since I spend all my time doing this, I have had plenty of opportunities to learn a lot, and from the best people.