• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Dining Room

Hello Mark

What is your opinion on an excellent Dining room / Restaurant?

Where do you start and where do you finish. When you review a restaurant how much importance do you give to the food & beverage, service and decor? How important is each one for you? How do you select which restaurant to review.

Your job (which I envy :wub::wub: ) for a living - do you still enjoy the food or do you enjoy it for the doing sake.

Being a writer, a cook, travel writer and a critique what do you think about the resaturant business in general and would you ever plan or dream of opening your restaurant, and if so what kind and what rating would you want to achieve?

Thank you so much, I really enjoy reading everything you write and you did on NBC the other day.

Reviewing restaurants is overrated, believe me. Four out of five restaurants are not worth reviewing. I like good atmosphere, but the food has to be good for me to appreciate it. One of the reasons I'm so devoted to home cooking is that I truly believe good home cooking is better than most restaurant cooking, in almost every regard. The dynamite restaurants are the rare exceptions.

To your second question:

Being a writer, a cook, travel writer and a critique what do you think about the resaturant business in general and would you ever plan or dream of opening your restaurant, and if so what kind and what rating would you want to achieve?

No.