• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mos Burger

tissue

Come on down! There are plenty of A&W's in Okinawa but I would stick with the Onion Rings and not their burgers which are sub-par at best. Their Chili-Cheese Fries do remind of home though!

I agree with Kris about Freshness Burger. I visited one in Shinjuku during a recent trip up to Tokyo and really enjoyed it. They are very similiar in size to MOS but the quality of toppings seemed higher. They also had a superior bun. It seems like MOS is heading more into the mainstream fast-food sector with rigid uniformity while Freshness Burger was like going to your neighborhood buger joint where everything was homemade.

Kua'Aina is good but I just find their prices to be too high for what you get but it is a cool theme. Now that I figured out their "taste" secret I can make them at home!

But as my time in Japan comes to a close, I'll rest easy knowing that I'll soon be in the epicenter of hamburgerdom.....California! I look forward to waiting in the drive-through of the greatest burger chain in the world....In-n-Out! It makes leaving bearable somehow :biggrin:

Is  there an A&W in Japan?

I had them for the first time ever in Bali, their onion rings were quite good.

There was A&W in Bali!!??? Crap! I'd have made a special trip if I had known, but I never left Ubud...

The A&Ws in Japan are all in Okinawa. They do have onion rings, and root beer, so I guess it's time I visited Okinawa!

I really wish I had a Kua'Aina close by.....

They're opening new ones all the time, so you never know when it might happen!

Maybe I'll hit Mos Burger after I go to the gym today (bringing this back on topic). I can burn all those burger calories more efficiently if I eat after I exercise! :biggrin:

All of this onion ring talk made you go to Outback Steakhouse for lunch yesterday to eat their "Bloomin Onion"! :biggrin:

I hadn't been in there in about 5 years, it is so overpriced and the food meiocre at best....but it did satisfy my onion ring craving. :laugh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

This summer, Mos Burger has naan: Naan with curry on top, naan with avocado on top, and naan with taco fillings(!) on top. They also have lassi drinks. With the heat right now, I could definitely go for a Mos Burger lassi (if I were anywhere near Japan...)

Mos Burger Naan

This summer, Mos Burger has naan: Naan with curry on top, naan with avocado on top, and naan with taco fillings(!) on top. They also have lassi drinks. With the heat right now, I could definitely go for a Mos Burger lassi (if I were anywhere near Japan...)

Mos Burger Naan

How did you know all about that when you are so far away? :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
MOS is moving away from burgers ....

Speaking as someone who once glimpsed a MOS sign from a JR train and then on an impulse jumped off (at the next station) to get an urgent raisubaagaa fix, the world as we know it is now coming to an end.

• 1 month later...

MOS burger's menu seems to keep getting longer and longer..

Added to the line-up are now their Focaccia Burgers

Currently they have 3, mushroom and cream and BBQ both include a smoked sausage. The third is a corokke. On 1/12 they will introduce a chicken with mustard sauce version...

While McDonald's and MOS burger seem to be adding new items to their menu every month, Freshness burger never seems to change. They do add to their drink menu, and they do have a very impressive drink menu which actually outnumbers their food items. The newest are some hot drinks they added this winter, a pumpkin latte, chocolate latte and soy latte.

The spam sandwich at Freshness Burger is relatively new, no?

My favorite recent new burger is the maguro burger with wasabi dressing and shiso, at R Burger (branches in Roppongi and Gaienmae so far). I also like their crabcakes, and their chicken burger with ume sauce has a certain appeal.

Edited by thelobster (log)

• 11 months later...

I was passing by a Mos burger a little while ago (ok, over 2 months ago!) and I noticed some new rice burgers. A kalbi yakiniku and a tori tsukune. The tori tsukune sounded really good and I made a mental note to get back and try it, however a little over a month later it was already gone. :angry: The kalbi is still there though....

I wonder why they pulled it. Since it is no longer on the MOS homepage, I found some great pictures of it here (scroll to the last burger). The picture isn't as pretty as the one in the flyer I got from the MOS shop but it still looks pretty good.

Their homepage shows their latest (regular) burger, a curry chicken burger, but you will need to hurry as it says through the middle of December.

• 2 weeks later...

theres more than 20 outlets of MOS burger in Singapore.

id love to have understood the nihon-go menu but i cant read.

have a look at the singapore mos franchise in english. mos burger sg

damn im hungry!!!

no naan stuff here yet. but i like the ever loved ebi rice burger and the hot croquette. unlike japan its hard to find them korroke just anywhere! i love mos. i need mos. now. i want.

:sad:

.jedi pocky.

yum...

• 5 months later...

Somewhere in eG, bluelotus mentioned the fish burger at Mos Burger. A few weeks ago, in the interest of science, I gave it a try.

It's definitely fresh. I love hot fish sandwiches, and this one was so hot I had to wait a couple of minutes before I could really eat it. The bun was good, but my fish was very very fishy. It tasted like old fish. But the outside was crispy!

Also, it seems they don't use tartar sauce, but mayonnaise with a loooooooot of onions. I didn't care for that too much. Tartar sauce is what makes a fish sandwich (at least for me), but the mayonnaise that gooped out made for a nice dipping sauce for the fries. :smile:

Now that McD's filet-o-fish is only Y100 (for a limited time or forever, I do not know), I'd rather go to McD's. A filet-o-fish followed by a fried apple pie for dessert...what more could a person want? Other than a freshly-cooked filet-o-fish, that is...