• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mos Burger

tissue

The latest:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/041220/focaccia.html

BBQ Focaccia

grilled sausage on focaccia with wth a smokey BBQ sauce and a sour onion sauce

They also have a habanero focaccia which is the same as above but with a habanero sauce, scroll down to see it.

Scroll down some more and there is a corokke focaccia too...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

Not having been to MOS Burger in quite some time, I stopped by one of my local outlets today. I had forgotten what a good product they produce! I did have a couple of questions that I couldn't ascertain from their website due to the language barrier.

1. The Bun. The bun was an exceptionally fresh wheat bun that had black specks throughout. Does anyone know what these are?

2. The Sauce. I had a MOS Cheesebuger with a large slice of the freshest tomato I've had in awhile. The sauce that comes on the burger is chili-like in it's consistency and I believe is a thick concoction based on tomato sauce and finely diced onions. There is also a spice in there which may be nutmeg but I couldn't be sure. Anyone know??

The menu offerings and their marketing style, right down to their menu boards, was impressive to me and I've been in the Restaurant business going back further than I would like to comment. They do it right.

Sorry can't help you there but I love MOS burger.

I think MOS burger is the most freshest burger I've tasted ever. My favorite was the beef teriyaki burger and the other one which has beef strips and 'rice' bun.

Too bad they closed shop here several years ago. :sad: I wish someone would bring it in again.

1. The Bun. The bun was an exceptionally fresh wheat bun that had black specks throughout. Does anyone know what these are?

You mean the wheat germ?

2. The Sauce. I had a MOS Cheesebuger with a large slice of the freshest tomato I've had in awhile. The sauce that comes on the burger is chili-like in it's consistency and I believe is a thick concoction based on tomato sauce and finely diced onions. There is also a spice in there which may be nutmeg but I couldn't be sure. Anyone know??

According to this webpage

http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/calory/h_09.html

This cheeseburger consists of an upper bun, a slice of tomato, meat sauce, diced onions, mayo, a slice of cheese, hamburger patty, mustard, and a lower bun.

Sorry, no detailed information on the meat sauce.

The sauce that comes on the burger is chili-like in it's consistency and I believe is a thick concoction based on tomato sauce and finely diced onions. There is also a spice in there which may be nutmeg but I couldn't be sure. Anyone know??

I know, I love this sauce. Mos Burger and fries from First Kitchen are just about the only fast food I miss from Japan. In fact, its the only fast food I miss from anywhere in the world (except for papaya king hotdogs in NY and hotdogs in Chicago).

Its funny, I'm looking forward to getting to eat at these two places (we're coming to visit this spring) as much as our high end dining!

I love MOS Burger's iced milk tea!! :wub: Perfect not overly sweet iced tea with half n half yummmm :wub: The other food item i like is their chunky fries.In S'pore, most of us have it with chilli sauce. :laugh:

I have never had they milk tea but their regular tea is the best I have ever had in a fast food place and actually better than most restaurants......

• 2 months later...

Mos's newest is the Takumi Judan burger that is selling for 1,000 yen (just under $10) the most expensive burger in Japanese fast food history.

Takumi Judan

This is the fourth round in the “Takumi” series of burgers, which started selling from August, 2003. The bun is made by an expert craftsman, with Australian beef, tomato, lettuce, bacon, egg, and more. Ten ingredients are piled on to make a 10 centimeter thick bacon and egg hamburger.

A Japanese-style demiglace sauce made from ingredients such as Kinzanji miso is included separately, and you can even eat with a knife and fork. A card with the name of the egg farmer and chef also accompanies the meal.

more from here

Interesting marketing from MOS. As they'll only sell 10 of the Takumi Judan burgers per day in each "Green MOS" location, they are obviously going for the marketing angle versus a sales generator. It seems to follow the lines of the US a few years back as more expensive burgers with exclusive ingredients starting showing up in the higher-end, chef driven restaurants, such as the Father's Office $10 burger in Los Angeles. I love the MOS touch of adding a card with the egg farmer's name...classic!

Is the translation of Takumi as "artisanal" correct?

Mos's newest is the Takumi Judan burger that is selling for 1,000 yen (just under $10) the most expensive burger in Japanese fast food history.

Takumi Judan

This is the fourth round in the “Takumi” series of burgers, which started selling from August, 2003. The bun is made by an expert craftsman, with Australian beef, tomato, lettuce, bacon, egg, and more. Ten ingredients are piled on to make a 10 centimeter thick bacon and egg hamburger.

A Japanese-style demiglace sauce made from ingredients such as Kinzanji miso is included separately, and you can even eat with a knife and fork. A card with the name of the egg farmer and chef also accompanies the meal.

more from here

• 3 months later...

MOS is now introducing three new chicken burgers:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/050825/index.html

tandoori burger topped with white asparagus

teriyaki chicken burger (topped with plain old lettuce and mayo)

mustard chicken burger with a root vegetable salad and plum sauce

MOS is now introducing three new chicken burgers:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/050825/index.html

tandoori burger topped with white asparagus

teriyaki chicken burger (topped with plain old lettuce and mayo)

mustard chicken burger with a root vegetable salad and plum sauce

My husband had the tandoori chicken one a few weeks ago. It was good.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Newest from MOS

Katsu curry rice burger!

A deep fried pork katsu is deep fried and placed between two rice "buns" but not before being topped with a special curry sauce made with almonds, cashew nuts, edamame, raisins, tomato, etc. If that wasn't enough they also cram some shredded cabbage and macaroni salad on there as well.

It sounded good unril I got to the pasta part....

the rest of the current menu

• 1 month later...

I think I saw that being advertised at the local Mos Burger.

I've been eating at Mos Burger more frequently (well, twice in the last two weeks, compared with not at all the last two years). I've been getting the Spicy Mos Burger. I like the jalapenos, but that Mos sauce is just like bad Japanese spaghetti sauce. I'm going to have to start trying their other stuff. I used to like their chicken burgers, so I'm thinking I might try their fish burger, too.

Their fries and their onion rings suck, though.

Their fries and their onion rings suck, though.

Their fries are really bad but I guess I liket he onion rings because they are the only ones I can get!! Why don't more places do onion rings here??

I was at MOS a couple weeks ago and personally was quite disappointed, they seem to be going downhill.

About a month ago I had a great burger (Classic Burger) at Freshness Burger and will currently always choose them over MOS.

MOS seems to really be reaching, this new burger sounds quite gross and it is interesting that they put out a shrimp katsu just as the shrimp burger seems to be doing so well at McDonalds...

By teh way the new ebi-fileo with sweet chile sauce at Mac is quite good you should give it a try if you haven't yet. If you look at their website they have coupons for 100yen off the set.

Their fries are really bad but I guess I liket he onion rings because they are the only ones I can get!! Why don't more places do onion rings here??

Kua'Aina, baby. They've got much better onion rings than any other place I've tried. You can even get onion rings instead of fries there, but you only get 3 (sometimes 4 if a couple are small). I'm out to find an A&W with onion rings. There must be one somewhere in Japan!

I was at MOS a couple weeks ago and personally was quite disappointed, they seem to be going downhill.

About a month ago I had a great burger (Classic Burger) at Freshness Burger and will currently always choose them over MOS.

I like the buns at Mos because they toast them. That's the best part of their burgers.

I'll have to try Freshness Burger. I've only seen a picture of a Freshness Burger, and it wasn't pretty so I've resisted going there. But maybe it's time to give them a try.

Is there an A&W in Japan?

I had them for the first time ever in Bali, their onion rings were quite good.

I really wish I had a Kua'Aina close by.....

Is  there an A&W in Japan?

I had them for the first time ever in Bali, their onion rings were quite good.

There was A&W in Bali!!??? Crap! I'd have made a special trip if I had known, but I never left Ubud...

The A&Ws in Japan are all in Okinawa. They do have onion rings, and root beer, so I guess it's time I visited Okinawa!

I really wish I had a Kua'Aina close by.....

They're opening new ones all the time, so you never know when it might happen!

Maybe I'll hit Mos Burger after I go to the gym today (bringing this back on topic). I can burn all those burger calories more efficiently if I eat after I exercise! :biggrin:

fellow onion ring lovers who are disappointed by MOS burger's lack of onion rings should check out sasebo burger. There is one in Osaka and I think a few in Tokyo I have a picture of their menu but I cant get to it right now in Korea. Their burgers looked really good, but I had just eaten so I didn't get one. After reading a few Japanese sites people seem to like the burgers but complain that they take a long time to prepare them.

I guess Sasebo is a region famous for hamburgers?

I guess Sasebo is a region famous for hamburgers?

We discussed the Sasebo burger in a different thread somewhere. Sasebo has a large US military base and the burgers were created over 50 years ago for US soliders. They are recently experiencing a comeback though. I need to find myself a shop except they all seem to be on the opposite side of Tokyo.