• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese interpretations of other cuisines

I make those japanese hamburgers quite often. I make them with either 100% chicken or 100% turkey bc I can get it at the military base for less than $2 a package (pound). very very cheap.

I don't know if it's authentic, but I add ponzu, garlic, lots of ginger, pepper, and sometimes an egg yolk.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 7 months later...

I loooove yoshoku food! In fact, I think Japanese style cheesy gratins are superior (of course, it's a personal preference thing). Also love Japanese spaghetti and have been looking for a solid recipe.

Not that anybody cares, but I'll be going to a yoshoku-style restaurant later this week for dinner -can't wait!

Heard there's plenty of pasta, a particularly good tofu burger and interesting interpretations of desserts, amongst others.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 6 years later...

I'm doing a research project on foreign influences on Japanese food, and I've got one item on my research list that is stumping me. Does anyone know where Carrot dressing came from? It seems to be a Japanese invention, as far as I know, but raw salad is definitely an import... Anyone know of its origin?