• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Revolving Restaurants

snowangel

My sister & I gave my parents a gift certificate to The View in NYC one year. It was a really bad idea. My mother got motion sick, and hated the experience.

Upside: she was too queasy to eat her dessert, so she brought it to me: a tiny piano constructed entirely out of chocolate. It was wonderful.

Follow-up thought: A friend who attended a corporate event, also at The View in NY. The outside of the restaurant revolves, but the inside is static.

While talking with a colleague, my friend (standing on the static portion) put down his drink on a table (on the revolving portion). When he finished talking and looked to pick up his drink, it had rotated halfway across the room! :biggrin:

We have two in Toronto. The restaurant 360, at the top of the CN Tower revolves. The food there seems to be hit or miss, and it takes forever to get the elevator to get to the top.

The Westin Harbour Castle's restaurant used to revolve, but I don't know if it still does.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Follow-up thought: A friend who attended a corporate event, also at The View in NY. The outside of the restaurant revolves, but the inside is static.

While talking with a colleague, my friend (standing on the static portion) put down his drink on a table (on the revolving portion). When he finished talking and looked to pick up his drink, it had rotated halfway across the room! :biggrin:

I've had a buffet lunch there on a Sunday before attending a Broadway show. It can be confusing when you get up to fill your plate, then try to find your table again. :wacko: The waitstaff is used to this and somehow can guide patrons back to their correct tables.

Used to love the revolving bar at the Marriot in NYC till last visit when sat facing the wrong direction and got sick, went to a reviovling restaurant in Toronto which just plain sucked (and Toronto has some great food Farnies Oyster bar!!!)

One thing about revolving resataurants I do enjoy is watching the people who have left thier tabel try to find it again also think it woudl be a fabulous setting for a Body Heat style murder mystery...\

nighttime...

the cityscape slowly revolves out of view we see a window in an apartment house lit up slowly we come upon th balcony curtains open soft conversation tinkling of glasses fill the room with the music of upscale dining when BAM gunshot body gets thrown off the balcony..Of course this is when our hero gets up from the bar nods to the shill and thus begins a very complicated who dunnit and why..

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Perhaps they are turning the wrong direction.  Clockwise is the key!

the thing is, in north america, if it spins clock-wise, the toilets don't flush. that's a problem.

the one in Vegas (on the needle - i fergit the name) has a wonderful view of the city and desert, as opposed to dessert. didn't eat there, but by the time i left, the room was spinning. :blink:

nighttime...

the cityscape slowly revolves out of view we see a window in an apartment house lit up slowly we come upon th balcony curtains open soft conversation tinkling of glasses fill the room with the music of upscale dining when BAM gunshot body gets thrown off the balcony..Of course this is when our hero gets up from the bar nods to the shill and thus begins a very complicated who dunnit and why..

Sounds like a scene from Point Blank--good one if you haven't seen it.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Only memorable skit? What? Have you forgotten the High Fivin' White Guys? :laugh:

Yeah, I guess there were some good skits. The chicks from Kent with the high hair and beercan earrings. Cops in Redmond...

Unfortunately for me, the good ones were too few and far between.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I've been to one in Kuala Lumpur. Overpriced but the food was quite delicious, buffet style. Malaysian, Chinese, Western...

Well, there's this one. http://www.asiatravel.com/malaysia/federal...restaurant.html

And there's this one. http://www.genting.com.my/en/leisure/food_...seriangkasa.htm

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one at the top of the Hyatt here in Louisville. My story about your friend's drink is similar, but opposite. I didn't get up from my table, but i did put my purse down by my right foot next to the exterior wall as the meal began.

Obviously, only the "platter" middle of the restaurant turns, not the outside edge, so, when it came time to settle the bill, i thought my purse had been stolen. Luckily, it was just on a short holiday under someone else's table by then...

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 3 months later...
I used to eat at a great revolving place in Nashville, I think it was at a holiday inn downtown...

Nope, it was the Hyatt Regency. Holiday Inns would never be that daring. (And now it's a bar in the hotel, which isn't the Hyatt...called "The Pinnacle" or something.)

I had one of the best days of my life in Nashville, and it all started with a ride in a black Porsche, which took me to lunch at the Hyatt.

Oooh la la. Who remembers the food? :wub:

I used to eat at a great revolving place in Nashville, I think it was at a holiday inn downtown...

Nope, it was the Hyatt Regency. Holiday Inns would never be that daring. (And now it's a bar in the hotel, which isn't the Hyatt...called "The Pinnacle" or something.)

I had one of the best days of my life in Nashville, and it all started with a ride in a black Porsche, which took me to lunch at the Hyatt.

Oooh la la. Who remembers the food? :wub:

Nashville is a great town, with some great places to eat. I sure miss Cracker Barrel and Waffle house for those interstate highway breakfasts!..I loved walking along the market street area and going to all the neat places.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 1 month later...
We have two in Toronto.  The restaurant 360, at the top of the CN Tower revolves.  The food there seems to be hit or miss, and it takes forever to get the elevator to get to the top.

We ate lunch at 360 last week. I thought the food was good, and the service was good too. We enjoyed it so much that we planned to go back later in the week with some friends who were also from out of town, but cancelled because the weather was bad.

I've eaten at two of them, though I really only remember one. When I was about 10 we went to one in Atlanta. I want to say it's at the Peachtree Plaza. Mom has no distinct memory about it. I do remember her complaining about her purse moving away.

My wife and I went to Tower of the Americas in San Antonio on our honeymoon. Tower of the Americas is owned by the city of San Antonio. I just found that odd. The food was okay at best. $80 for 2 people, and the only thing I can tell you is whatever I ordered had too many capers in it. But the desserts were pretty good. Although I'm not sure how much of that was caused by the stomach lurching ride to the top. I do remember being charged for the elevator ride.

Thinking back, we should have just found a little Tex-Mex place. The pictures from the top were outstanding, though.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.