• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Revolving Restaurants

snowangel

On our way to the cabin this past weekend, we passed a billboard advertising the revolving restaurant in the Radisson Hotel in Duluth.

Peter (age 7) asked what a revolving restaurant was, and we explained it to him, adding that when Diana was baptized in Duluth, we had brunch following the service at the revolving restaurant. He was mighty jealous, especially when he asked, and we explained, that the meal following his baptism was catered, in my folks house.

Diana asked how the food was, and, quite frankly, I can't recall a thing about the meal. Paul and I seem to think that it was a Sunday buffet thing with forgettable food, but we recall very clearly the view. Lake Superior was not frozen (it rarely totally freezes) and given that it was 26 degrees below zero, there was steam hanging over the lake. It was breathtaking. As the restaurant revolved, we were treated to almost equally breathtaking sights of the snow-covered hill.

I seem to also recall eating in a revolving restaurant when I was a child living in Thailand, but my food memories of this time revolve around markets, not restaurants serving continental food.

How many revolving restaurants are there? Do they rely on the novelty and views as opposed to good food? Are there any new-construction revolving restaurants?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes, Seattle does have one at the top of the Space needle. I have not been since I was about 10 years old though. All I remember about that meal was looking at the center area that was not revolving and also getting a roy rodgers in a Space needle shaped cup.

From what I have heard locally, the Space needle restaurant is mediocre and overpriced.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

From what I have heard locally, the Space needle restaurant is mediocre and overpriced.

Agreed, but then with a view like that, who's there for the food? They don't have to have good food, and they can charge outrageous prices to see the same shade of grey nine months out of the year. :wacko:

I've eaten there twice. The first time when I moved here in '91. The second time was a 'thank you' dinner in '99 for letting a friend from Oz stay with me for a month while visiting the states. He paid for it. I think the food was better in '99, but then I don't remember what I had. I do remember thinking it wasn't half bad.

I think people that eat at these places are there to entertain out-of-town guests or to celebrate something really special.

To give the Space Needle credit, I've heard that it revolves faster when Ballard comes into view of your table, and it slows down when Rainier appears.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think it is in the Days Inn or Holiday Inn in Chicago with a great view of Lake Michigan. We went for Sunday brunch and the food was pretty good but it was hard to make it back to your table after loading up on eats. Note to self: bring a vase with flowers or something to hail you in after loading up. It's hard to enjoy your meal when other patrons are asking to actually sit at their table - how can they tell?? The view was awesome and food was good - but I love buffet and brunch all in one!!

We were at the Seattle World's Fair when I was a kid, and all I really remember eating is the Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. But we did go up. Last year at Bumbershoot I walked over to the base and read the posters about it being the 40th anniversary (World's Fair in 1962, this was 2002...math seems right), so I went up again.

Didn't eat anything, but the views are still cool. Next trip, 2042.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I think it is in the Days Inn or Holiday Inn in Chicago with a great view of Lake Michigan.  We went for Sunday brunch and the food was pretty good but it was hard to make it back to your table after loading up on eats.  Note to self: bring a vase with flowers or something to hail you in after loading up.  It's hard to enjoy your meal when other patrons are asking to actually sit at their table - how can they tell??  The view was awesome and food was good - but I love buffet and brunch all in one!!

Days Inn (surprisingly) for sure.

Isn't it dizzying though? I'm getting unglued just thinking about trying to eat with everything going around and around and around... :blink:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

To give the Space Needle credit, I've heard that it revolves faster when Ballard comes into view of your table, and it slows down when Rainier appears.

How does that work? Wouldnt the side opposite you get shafted on their Rainier view?

:shock::smile:

Ben

:laugh: Sorry, it's from an old Almost Live skit. They had guys with big wrenches at the base of the needle...

Well, let's just say it's about the only memorable skit from that program.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Isn't it dizzying though? I'm getting unglued just thinking about trying to eat with everything going around and around and around... :blink:

Revolving restaurants always make me queasy, and I have a pretty strong stomach -- for the first couple of bottles of wine, anyway. Also, if you spend any time drinking in them, finding your table can be troublesome towards the end of the night.

And I've never been to a restaurant with a view that serves anything above barely decent food. I guess with everyone there for the view there's no point flying in fresh loup de mer from Mareseilles when frozen shrimp will keep the place packed.

Of course, I'm a sucker for a good view and will always buy an overpriced cocktail or two just to see what I can see. On my way to another restaurant.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think it is in the Days Inn or Holiday Inn in Chicago with a great view of Lake Michigan.  We went for Sunday brunch and the food was pretty good but it was hard to make it back to your table after loading up on eats.  Note to self: bring a vase with flowers or something to hail you in after loading up.  It's hard to enjoy your meal when other patrons are asking to actually sit at their table - how can they tell??  The view was awesome and food was good - but I love buffet and brunch all in one!!

The Days Inn (where guests for Jenny Jones used to stay) is now the chic W.

link to restaurant

It says it still rotates, anyone been there?

There's one in Florida at the Tampa airport called CK's. I've eaten in that a few times. Shitty food. My grandparents made me do it; I was too young to know better.

TPAAPE01.jpg

Edited by pixelchef (log)

How does that work? Wouldnt the side opposite you get shafted on their Rainier view?

Ben

:laugh: Sorry, it's from an old Almost Live skit. They had guys with big wrenches at the base of the needle...

Only memorable skit? What? Have you forgotten the High Fivin' White Guys? :laugh:

In the 80s they had an infamous "The Space Needle has collapsed" episode. (It began as a "Breaking News" piece.) Quite a few people freaked out, and I think thereafter there was a tighter line drawn between the graphics used by the news dpt. and the show.

Ben

Heh heh heh, good ol Almost live.

They sure loved their ballard jokes.

I did really like the Burger Cannon Sketch though.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Days Inn (surprisingly) for sure.

It doesn't go that fast! But I guess it would be pretty bad if the timer broke and it was like a merry-go-round!!!

There is one in New Orleans..have never eaten there but the martini's were good...and without disparaging one of my favorite places to visit, the truth is there is not too much to llok at...lots of gridded suburban areas, the River, the congestion of the quarter and environs...the green of the Garden District. NOLA is a walking town, not a bird's eye town, in my opinion.

Only memorable skit? What? Have you forgotten the High Fivin' White Guys? :laugh:

Almost Live did get kind of lame at the end of it's run, but had a few funny skits along the way.

Speedwalker in which a superhereo played by Bill Nye (The Science Guy) has on some balltastic nylon "Speed Walking" shorts

Kegger in the Field which was just an excuse to make fun of South King County allegedly being full of rednecks.

Oriental Rug Mart is having a going out of business sale....again....and this time they really, really mean it.

A lot of it was not so inside jokes about the region that were lost if you were watching on Comedy Central while living somewhere else. If it hadn't been for Almost Live I never would have known they had keggers down in Kent and speaking of South King County....

While the Space Needle may get all the revolving restaurant glory in Seattle, just a short drive south in beatiful Seatac is the area's best revolving restaurant. The Seatac Holiday Inn sports a casual dining room on it's top floor where you can enjoy a revolving meal for far less than it would cost at the Space Needle. Not to mention, that after dinner entertainment is just a short, safe walk down the street as everybody knows that all the area's best exotic dancers work in and around International Blvd.

US15319_0_s.jpg

Seatac Holiday Inn

Full Service hotel with 260 well-appointed deluxe guest rooms, located across from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Complimentary 24 hour shuttle to/from the airport for hotel guests. Free parking during your hotel stay. Order room service or Dine in our beautiful revolving restaurant on the 12th floor with spectacular views of Mt. Rainier, and enjoy singing servers.

The more it turns.  The worse it tastes.

I agree completely. There's two in Sydney and neither are good. I'd probably go a bit further and say that if the place moves, the food will probably be bad. I've never had good food on a boat trip or airplane either. But then I haven't flown first class or cruised on the QE2.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Almost Live did get kind of lame at the end of it's run, but had a few funny skits along the way.

Speedwalker in which a superhereo played by Bill Nye (The Science Guy) has on some balltastic nylon "Speed Walking" shorts

Kegger in the Field which was just an excuse to make fun of South King County allegedly being full of rednecks.

Oriental Rug Mart is having a going out of business sale....again....and this time they really, really mean it.

A lot of it was not so inside jokes about the region that were lost if you were watching on Comedy Central while living somewhere else. If it hadn't been for Almost Live I never would have known they had keggers down in Kent and speaking of South King County....

While the Space Needle may get all the revolving restaurant glory in Seattle, just a short drive south in beatiful Seatac is the area's best revolving restaurant. The Seatac Holiday Inn sports a casual dining room on it's top floor where you can enjoy a revolving meal for far less than it would cost at the Space Needle. Not to mention, that after dinner entertainment is just a short, safe walk down the street as everybody knows that all the area's best exotic dancers work in and around International Blvd.

US15319_0_s.jpg

Seatac Holiday Inn

Full Service hotel with 260 well-appointed deluxe guest rooms, located across from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Complimentary 24 hour shuttle to/from the airport for hotel guests. Free parking during your hotel stay. Order room service or Dine in our beautiful revolving restaurant on the 12th floor with spectacular views of Mt. Rainier, and enjoy singing servers.

Their take off on Cops was always my favorite, especially "Cops in Kent" and "Cops in Mercer Island"....

I've eaten at both the SeaTac Holiday Inn and the Space Needle. The food is worse and the view not nearly as good at the Holiday, it is a hell of a lot cheaper. :smile:

Random, are you another South King County resident? Our numbers and powers are growing daily....

Edit to add: when I was a little kid, my parents took me to a revolving restaurant in Vancouver, couldn't tell you anything about it, but I believe its still there...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Random, are you another South King County resident?  Our numbers and powers are growing daily....

I live in NC these days. Those gray days finally wore me down.

When I lived in WA it was out near Sammamish as I wanted an East / West commute to work.

I'm not sure how anyone could stay sane traveling the dreaded S-Curves on I-405 everyday!