• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Al Fresco

guajolote

Got this idea from NYC

My favorites:

Cafe Bolero - Cuban on North Western (2300 or so)

Pastuer - Vietnamese on North Broadway (5500)

Moodies - Great Bar Food, especially burgers, on North Broadway (5900). They have a nice, quiet garden. There is usually a buy one, get one free coupon in the Friday Tribune

NoMI on Michigan Avenue (800) in the Park Hyatt. Haven't been to the terrace yet but really want to go.

How about Rinaldi's on Lincoln Ave. just south of Armitage. I used to think their beer list was great, now it's just for tourists. The food's not bad, but the best part is sitting outside, it's a perfect location.

John Barleycorn's (also on Lincoln, nearer to DePaul) has some outdoor seating. And there's nothing like a pint and chips slathered in vinegar.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Ah, Ranalli's. The food is very mediocre. But the patio on a warm summer evening is perfect. I live a block away and can be found there most Friday nights all summer long. The nicest thing about Ranalli's is their willingness to throw out a few tables and chairs anytime the weather permits. Get one really mild day in March, and good old Ranalli's will be slinging a few chairs out. The thin crust pizza is okay. Their famous Panzerotti is large and bland. They do an acceptable Italian Beef if you need a little nosh while downing a bucket of six Coronas. I usually stick to the Pommes Frites. You need to ask for them specifically, but they're worth it. Not quite Belgian quality frites, but after a few beers I'm not choosy.

Thank you, victoria. I was reasonably confident that I didn't spell Ranalli's correctly. Too lazy to look it up first.

And after a few beers, we're all not choosy. That's why places like Taco Burrito King (no outdoor dining, unless you count sitting on the curb) stay in business (come on all, admit it, we've all been there...drunk, hungary and not choosy..."um, I'll have the beef burrito that's the size my head will be tomorrow morning...")

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about outdoor dining earlier today and--sure enough--we already have a thread on it, so I'm bumping it back to the top in hopes that we can update it a bit.

What are some of the best places for outdoor dining in and around our fair city?

Rosebud in Highland Park has a nice outdoor seating area. So does Hot Tamales, also in HP. I happen to like the food at both these places, so we do hit them fairly often.

2 others which have nice, outdoor dining areas are mk North in Northfield and Hackneys on Harms but I'm not crazy about the food at either place.

Any favorites? Please share.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

is there anything al fresco "downtown"? this is the phrase people keep using and i am guessing that this is where i live (n michigan) and work (w.washington)

i really must have a look at a map this weekend.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Metromix on al fresco

i just found this

Nice listing. Thanks Suzi.

One of the places listed at Metromix is one I forgot, Wishbone (on Lincoln, not W. Washington). Twisted Spoke also gets a mention--and IIRC, they received 4 Forks (highest rating) in a Chicago Tribune Cheap Eats review, fairly recently.

=R=

is there anything al fresco "downtown"? this is the phrase people keep using and i am guessing that this is where i live (n michigan) and work (w.washington)

Tarka,

This might help with the neighborhoods.

I second Dean's recommendation from last year RE Cafe Bolero.

Also Twisted Spoke, always reliable.

I like the Pontiac in Wicker Park. Burgers are decent, and sitting outside on a Saturday afternoon has got to be some of the best people-watching in the whole city.

Noise is music. All else is food.

For "downtown" al fresco, it seems like every one of the restaurants on Wells St. in Old Town (between Division and Lincoln) has outdoor seating. When it's nice out and we can't decide on somewhere to go, my wife and I head there and pick a place.

Also, over at Erie and the river (about 500 W.), Erie Cafe has a nice set of outdoor tables right next to the water...

Speak of the devil. This list popped up on my Yahoo homepage today...

Best of Citysearch - Outdoor Dining, Chicago

Again, Twisted Spoke gets a mention, as does Hackney's on Harms.

=R=

I drove by 312 Chicago today (LaSalle at Randolph, supposedly good Italian) and they had tables outside--don't recall seeing this before.

Took myself out to dinner tonight to Cafe Bolero, to commemorate my graduation from c. school and my unfortunate leaving of this wonderful neighborhood and city.

Dined "al fresco," of course.

Their roasted pork as always is fantastic, comes with congri, rice, and beans.

And their mojitos :wub: , mixed by one of the most disconcertingly beautiful men in this city . . . :wub: , also fantastic.

Took myself out to dinner tonight to Cafe Bolero, to commemorate my graduation from c. school...

Congrats! :smile:

Sounds like a wonderful way to begin the celebrations.

=R=

And their mojitos  :wub: , mixed by one of the most disconcertingly beautiful men in this city . . .  :wub: , also fantastic.

*grabs coat, runs to cafe bolero*

Seriously. He--I mean, the mojito--is SOMETHING ELSE.

And their mojitos  :wub: , mixed by one of the most disconcertingly beautiful men in this city . . .  :wub: , also fantastic.

*grabs coat, runs to cafe bolero*

Seriously. He--I mean, the mojito--is SOMETHING ELSE.

He must have a way with mashed mint...

:rolleyes:

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

• 4 weeks later...

i got over to thyme earlier this week. it's a completely lovely patio once the sun goes down, although the art is a bit questionable. i didn't think the food was anything to write home about either, but they could get away with a lot, lot less with a setting like this.

it is a perfect date place.

unlike cafe bolero which i went to the week before. i took my friend who was over from london and having been to pasteur the night before (which also has a small patio although we didn't sit there) she demanded to know if i knew any restaurants that we're actually within walking distance of either where we were staying or where we work. she makes a strong arguement.... again we sat outside (no sign of the sexy barman..i need to have words with nero w) but this place is less romantic and more like being on holiday. i tried goat for the first ever time (deeply delicious) and would definitly go back if it wasn't so far from my adopted 'hood. i'll remember gossiping and sipping mojitos here for a long, long time.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

i got over to thyme earlier this week. it's a completely lovely patio once the sun goes down, although the art is a bit questionable. i didn't think the food was anything to write home about either, but they could get away with a lot, lot less with a setting like this.

it is a perfect date place.

unlike cafe bolero which i went to the week before. i took my friend who was over from london and having been to pasteur the night before (which also has a small patio although we didn't sit there) she demanded to know if i knew any restaurants that we're actually within walking distance of either where we were staying or where we work. she makes a strong arguement.... again we sat outside (no sign of the sexy barman..i need to have words with nero w) but this place is less romantic and more like being on holiday. i tried goat for the first ever time (deeply delicious) and would definitly go back if it wasn't so far from my adopted 'hood. i'll remember gossiping and sipping mojitos here for a long, long time.

One word: Meritage. On North Damen.

And North Pond - in Lincoln Park on, you guessed it, the North Pond.

I returned to Chicago two weeks ago for a visit. Ate at Blackbird outside and had a great dinner with a friend . . but they have a very few outdoor seats. We went on a thursday evening at 9 and it worked for us. The following night I ate outdoors at Feast in B-Town. Much easier to get a table as they have a failry large outdoor seating area. . . a fine roast chicken with parmesan crust.