• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Give us a peek into your kitchen, please

Welcome to egullet.com, Mark. I am a fan and own "How to Cook Everything" and have paid enough in overdue fines at my library to own your other two "Minimialist" books!

Can you give us a brief look into to your kitchen and your cooking day? Tell us what your kitchen looks like and contains in the way of equipment, counterspace, etc. And give us a glimpse into a typical day when you are working on recipes you intend to publish. Do you have help of any kind or do you work strictly alone? How do you stay organized if you are working on multiple dishes?

Many thanks for your participation in this Q and A.

Anna N.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My kitchen was built in 1973; it has not changed. I have an electric stove and oven and formica countertops. I have painted the room so it looks nice. I have decent pots, pans, appliances, and knives, but they're not over the top by any means.

I mostly work alone. I test an average of two recipes a day; there are days I do ten, and days I do none, of course.

Organization is a constant challenge, but there is some economy of scale in cooking several dishes at once. For example – you cut up all the onions, then all the garlic, and so on.

Fortunately, at this point, I kind of know what I'm doing.