• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go for a Birthday lunch?

Now that the Fat Duck lunch is behind us, my thoughts are turning to my birthday next month. Judy will undoubtedly want to take me out for a meal somewhere, so I thought I would ask here for suggestions.

It should be somewhere reasonably easy to get to from South Oxfordshire, and I guess we would most probably go for Saturday lunch, so it has to be open then. First thoughts are l'Ortolan at Shinfield, or maybe The Vineyard at Stockcross, we haven't been to either of these. Which would eGullgetters recommend?

Also possible would be getting the train down to London, which means we could avoid driving, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

More locally there's the Beetle & Wedge, but we went there for Judy's birthday last year (at short notice when the Gousse d'Ail in Oxford closed suddenly), and there's Le Manoir of course.

We have family just across the river from Cookham, and I was looking for somewhere to go for lunch a couple of months ago. Thought about the Inn on the Green - have you seen the prices? (see website). It looks great, but it's bloody expensive.

Adam

Inn on the Green would be a good call and is on our list ,but what about The Riverside Brasserie, Bray marina?

We had a quick (as in one course) lunch the day before the Fat Duck meal. The room is quite small, with an open kitchen at the back of the room to the left. I had the Rib eye steak with marrow bone sauce and thrice cooked chips - sauce and steak were impeccable and the chips were fantastic too. Still crunchy at the end of the meal The Moo cow will tell you what she had, I think it was John Dory.

The setting is lovely as well, right by the river, although the weather was pretty atrocious the day we went. If you manage to get a warm and sunny day you'll be laughing. I swiped a menu so I can post the menu if you are interested.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Yes, Riverside Brasserie is pretty good. Would be lovely on a sunny day ...

I had confit of sea bream on galette of crushed potato with fennel puree - which was amazing cos it was the colour of pea puree but tasted definitely of fennel without being too strong. Perfect fish and a nice bit of intense tomatoe gunk as well for a bit of bite.

Recommend.

Plus quite a few nice wines by the glass ...

You could always go back to Bray and try the Waterside.

The Good Food Guide says that ladies are given menus without prices at the Waterside. I wonder if they can cope if Judy books there?

Riverside Brasserie is already on our list of places that we really must go to, and from the sound of it we can add Inn on the Green as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you all know what we decide.

Inn on the green - just posted, nice place to spend some time (and money) good food, enjoyable to eat, nothing stunning.

L'Ortolan - very nice space, good food (Manoir light), overpriced in the evening though. (Chocolate truffle dessert is very interesting and worth having)

Vineyard at Stockcross - outside of Bray, the best food in the area, has the capability to produce stunning dishes, like everywhere else round here overpriced though, don't go too hungry (bit small) and the room is hideous, think Dynasty, white grand piano etc (fun though if you're into that sort of thing).

Paul