• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morels

Jim Dixon

Well, maybe as big as your fist...

morel.jpg

that's an 8-inch knife.

I got these from Gene Theil, potato grower to the stars, who drives in from Joseph to the Portland Farmers Market every weekend (that's about 6 hours one-way, maybe more in Gene's old suburban loaded with a couple tons of spuds). He picks a few mushrooms on the side.

Last year's fires are having an early and impressive impact on the eastern Oregon morel crop. They love burned-over Ponderosa and lodgepole pine forests.

I sliced these, cooked them in olive oil and butter for a few minutes, added a splash of wine (an inexpensive Portugese vinho verde) and reduced it to almost nothing, tossed in a few shallots, scraped the last half-cup or so of creme fraiche out of the French jelly glass I use to make it, and sprinkled in a little parsley. Then spooned in some penne, heated it for another few minutes, and ate.

pasta_morels.jpg

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I should've noted that the two morels (one is sliced in half) weighed in at just under a half-pound and cost about $9.

When they have these at the market, and it's only for a few weeks in the spring, I usually buy a few every Saturday and just go home and eat them right away...sauteed in olive oil with a piece of toast.

These big ones were sort of thick and had a meaty, sunstantial quality. I ate the entire half-pound myself and din't regret it one bit.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Morels that size are great stuffed with cooked forcemeat and then sauteed.

I've been finding smaller ones, hopefully more today. Tonight I am hoping to integrate some with mashed potatoes sothered wth a wicked gravy made from last night's left-over drippings from ameatloaf experiment. Might try a slice of the meatloaf to, along with a couple of glasses of a nice syrah.

dave

I'd say the flavor was about the same as the smaller morels. I sliced the halves shown above into strips about 1/2 inch wide, and I liked the texture of these a lot. The smaller morels I usually cook whole or just sliced in half lengthwise (not a bad idea...there are often bugs inside).

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food