• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bentos (2003-2008)

Great aluminum bento boxes! I use one for one of my sons, as the flat shape fits into his over-stocked school bag much more easily. Aluminum also disperses heat much faster than plastic, and important point in summer.

Reheated rice - I read that it's best to freeze rice, even for overnight storage, and then reheat it thoroughly in the microwave. I agree - but from a taste point of view rather than a hygiene point of view.

Microwaving frozen rice makes it hard to use an aluminum box, and it's easy to warp a plastic bento box that way, so these days I just mold the rice in the box, then freeze it separately. With 3-4 lunches to make every morning, I usually cook fresh rice these days.

Summer bento rice - drop an umeboshi in with the raw rice, when the rice is cooked, break it up and mix into the cooked rice. Or grate some ginger into the rice, or mix sushi vinegar and/or chopped Japanese pickles into the hot, freshly cooked rice.

Western graiy mustard - I usually use it as a dressing, with soy sauce and vinegar. I don't find it pungent enough to cut through the mellowness of white miso for karashi-miso etc.

Great aluminum bento boxes! I use one for one of my sons, as the flat shape fits into his over-stocked school bag much more easily. Aluminum also disperses heat much faster than plastic, and important point in summer.

Fabulous! Now I have an excuse to buy another bento box for my rapidly-expanding collection....mwahaha....

I love the styling of the aluminum. I saw one in Kamakura with a Totoro theme that I'd really like to get.

I also have "portable" miso soup which I will talk about on another thread.

I do this! I mix up mugi miso, chopped green onion, and some powdered dashi, and then wrap it up in individual portions to pop in my lunch bag. I got the idea over on Just Bento. Great with a couple of tuna-mayonnaise onigiri for lunch.

• 2 months later...

This year's Sports day bento

gallery_6134_5519_628242.jpg

Sort of a Mediterranean twist this year with albondigas, caponata and balsamic roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow, you have to be the bestest Mom ever! Can you come over to my house and pack lunches? I see there are some onigiri in there - were they plain, or did they have a mediterranean flair as well?

What kind of sausages were they? I struggle to find a sausage I enjoy in Japan.

I haven't posted any of my bentos lately, I'll have to get out my camera.

I'm humbly asking for some ethnological/culinary advice here, and admit that my passion for all things Japanese, kawaii and bento still leaves big big holes in my understanding.

My question: Altho I have the hard boiled egg presses, the tiny rectangular "omelet" pan and the cute fake grass, I'm no Japanese cook. Kris, your Sports Day Bento was (as Charlie Trotter used to say) pushed toward Mediterranean. Is there any school of thought about making bentos with Western food? Is this a crime against bentos, or a permissible variation?

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

youre really not limited to shaped hard boiled eggs and tamagoyaki!

western food is DEFINITELY allowed!

im no kristin but in general you need to be able to pack food that can be kept and eaten coolish and it shouldnt be too moist. that and you need to think about balancing proteins vs veggies vs grains/starches. its a plus if the foods are more bite sized.

other than that, youre pretty free to do whatever you want.

substitute bread for rice and frittatas for tamagoyaki and so on...

if you do want to go the route of more moist dishes or dishes that need to be eaten hot like curries and soups, then youd want to think about maybe adding a food jar.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Wow, you have to be the bestest Mom ever! Can you come over to my house and pack lunches? I see there are some onigiri in there - were they plain, or did they have a mediterranean flair as well?

What kind of sausages were they? I struggle to find a sausage I enjoy in Japan.

This was actually one of the simpler bentos... :biggrin: and also remember the Sports Day bentos are only once a year.

Those are my favorite sausages they are parsley-lemon, I buy the 3 pack at Costco because they are really cheap but you can find them at bigger supermarkets. There is also a fried garlic version that is really nice. Since I have moved here I have had to readjust my thinking of sausages, they are quite a different product in the US.

The onigiri were just grilled salmon, I struggled for a while to come up with something more Mediterranean but that was the closest I could get.

Maggie,

Like melonpan said there is no problem with western foods in bentos, many a kid has gone to school with chicken nuggets and french fries in their bento. The important thing is that they taste good cold or at room temperature (and also can be held at that temp for a couple hours safely). I personally find cold french fries disgusting ( and don' think they go well with rice) but they are a very common addition to children's bentos.

Nuh no: Wasn't thinking fries or nuggets! Gag! Perish the thought!

But maybe a slice of frittata, a fruit salad, a couple of slices of rare steak en vinaigrette?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

As embarrassing as it is I am going to show you the bento products in my freezer, these are almost all for my 12 year old daughter who takes a bento to school every day. I also make my husband's bento but almost never but these items inside.

The western style products

gallery_6134_5519_247603.jpg

top from left to right:

German potato, kabocha (Japanese squash) gratin, corn creamy croquette*

bottom left to right:

shrimp gratin*, Scotch egg, chicken nuggets shaped like drumsticks

Except for the Scotch egg these can all be heated in the microwave, the Scotch egg is heated in a hot water bath. Those with the asterisk * can be placed into the bento without heating, they will defrost in about 3 hours--just in time for lunch.

Nuh no: Wasn't thinking fries or nuggets! Gag! Perish the thought!

But maybe a slice of frittata, a fruit salad, a couple of slices of rare steak en vinaigrette?

I guess I have kid's bentos on my mind,not that my daughter wouldn't love that.... :biggrin:

I put frittatas quite a bit, the really work wonderful in a bento.

Maggie's example of a "western" bento just got me thinking, just when is a bento no longer a bento? When does it just become a packed lunch? What exactly is it that makes a bento a bento?

It isn't necessarily the rice, the Japanese-ness, or even the box...

Why does Maggie's example have me thinking, "but that just wouldn't be a bento any more".

To continue on with the frozen bento foods..

Did you really think that was all I had?? I stocked up 2 weeks ago when a local supermarket had all their frozen foods 50% off.

These are the more Asian type foods:

gallery_6134_5519_133692.jpg

top from left to right:

sweet and sour pork (with carrots and pineapple), deep fried tofu balls with shrimp, hijiki (type of seaweed) and 5 vegetables*, Korean style kalbi beef with a dollop of mayo in the center

bottom left to right:

shrimp with a chili sauce, cheese filled hamburgers (these probably should have gone with the western style foods), tonkatsu with a sesame-miso sauce

All can be heated up in the microwave but that one with the asterisk * can be placed into the bento frozen and it will defrost in 3 hours.

Except for the Scotch egg these can all be heated in the microwave, the Scotch egg is heated in a hot water bath. Those with the asterisk * can be placed into the bento without heating, they will defrost in about 3 hours--just in time for lunch.

I've seen these before in the shops, but...do they taste good?

Maggie's example of a "western" bento just got me thinking, just when is a bento no longer a bento? When does it just become a packed lunch? What exactly is it that makes a bento a bento?

There's your moment of zen for the day! :biggrin:

I don't know. But to me, the thoughts and traditions behind a traditional style bento focus more on health and nutrition more than Western-style boxed lunches might. I mean - who doesn't like a fried chicken, potato salad/slaw, biscuit boxed lunch? But how much thought has gone into the nutrition balance of that box? I'm not sure if people still worry about that as much in Japan anymore, though.

A Japanese style lunch box is certainly different in shape and design from a Western one. When I first bought my bento, I was sure it was too small, and could never properly feed me!

(sorry for the awkward double-post)

Here is a picture of my daughter's bento today to show how the frozen foods are used. I try to limit the "instant" foods to 1-2 per bento and try to add 1 to 3 homemade dishes. I don't want to look like a completely lazy mom... :biggrin:

I had two slices of omelet (leftover from yesterday's bento that I was going to add but my daughter said there was no space and asked to eat it for breakfast.

The shrimp gratin in the corner is completely frozen and should be defrosted by lunch time. The other foods are the sweet and soup pork and a spinach with sesame sauce.

gallery_6134_5519_448335.jpg

Maggie's example of a "western" bento just got me thinking, just when is a bento no longer a bento? When does it just become a packa Lunchableed lunch? What exactly is it that makes a bento a bento?

It isn't necessarily the rice, the Japanese-ness, or even the box...

Why does Maggie's example have me thinking, "but that just wouldn't be a bento any more".

Kris, that's exactly what I want to know.

Take one pretty bento box, try to arrange Western food as beautifully, nutritionally sound and varied as a Japanese bento, and is it still a bento? Try to make it as amusing and varied and healthful as the boxes you send your lucky kids off to school with, even including the Hello Kitty molded hard boiled eggs and rice. What I don't want it to resemble is that crime against kids, budgets and nutrition -- the plastic coffin called "Lunchables" here -- some cheese and crackers, a little ham or turkey breast. The horror. (Had a nice dinner with Charlie Trotter's accountant -- our foodwas from Trotters to Go. His kid was eating a Lunchable)

I think that we in the West can learn so much from bento culture. Care, cute, healthy. And I like the concept of competitive lunches -- parents caring.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I make one for my husband most days, which never fails to amuse and surprise our co-workers. I just can't abide combini food most of the time. Especially with our schedule - by the time I get to it, all of the good stuff has long been picked over. The problem is time, of course. I have to add at least another 30 minutes to my morning routine to get them put together, unless I'm using all leftovers. I'm not sure most people in the West are willing to devote that much time to cooking anymore - lunch or whatever meal, based on my (admittedly brief) visits back every few years.

And of course, kids are notoriously picky eaters, aren't they - that's what some parents claim is behind their motivation for making cute character bentos - to get their kids to try a variety of foods.

. . . . I think that we in the West can learn so much from bento culture. Care, cute, healthy. And I like the concept of competitive lunches -- parents caring.

I've visited this topic on and off for a few years now and I always gain something from the discussion. I've only ever consumed bento during urban business lunches but I've never prepared or enjoyed a homemade one. I've searched my city for a traditional box to make at home but all I find is this disappointment.

I love the concept of a lunch vessel with compartments. Taking a moment to balance a meal, to recognize the food guide, to outdo the Joneses. Food always tastes better when the author has made an effort.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yes, Peter, I agree that the effort is everything..

The PC bentos sure outclass Lunchables, but it's the same lack of understanding -- a real person packs a bento, just as our Mums wrapped up a tuna sandwich, an apple and a couple of Peak Freans Nice cookies -- in a brown paper bag. God bless them.

But a bento box is a thing of rare beauty, and I think we gaijin can think outside and within the box to delight our kids and ourselves. And as in Japan, a real person has to pack it.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I admit, looking at some of the bento, I've thought "that stretches my idea of what is a bento". But what IS that idea?!

Although all kinds of things can be sent AS bento, not all of them ARE bento. I think I define it as...

* rice and things that are either refreshing, or seasoned heavily enough to taste good with rice

* essentially, food to eat cold

* foods that will not spoil without refrigeration

* stuff to eat with chopsticks (or maybe hands).

* ideally, shows the classic contrasts - some dishes fried, some with dressing, some grilled etc, and displays contrasting colors.

* seasonal

* Foods are not so sloppy that they MUST be in separate containers - the basic bento has a divider only between rice and subdishes. Food preparation emphasizes ways to get rid of moisture (grill) or absorb (add ground seeds or dried seaweed) moisture.

This is a fairly "western" bento with a hamburger patty, carrots, smashed potatoes and a green bean salad. The rice is topped with a tarako (cod roe) furikake (rice sprinkles) that my daughter begged me to buy.

gallery_6134_5519_697261.jpg

• 1 month later...

My husband is writing the Japanese Language Proficiency test this weekend, and has to bring a boxed lunch to the test site. He has requested a lucky bento, but I'm not sure what to put in, aside from a Kit Kat bar.

Ideas? Help!