• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fizz has gone from champagne market

Craig Camp

Craig

"The Datamonitor research into the global wine industry shows new world wines gaining increasing status over French champagne. Fewer and fewer people consider it worth paying an average global price of $25 (£15.60) for a bottle of champagne compared with $4.80 for a sparkling wine equivalent."

Can you or anyone else give me an example??? French Champagne and $4.80 equal.

Please list both.

Thanks

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

I've noticed a LOT more Italian prosecco and other spumantes in stores lately. Prices have been real good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have never had a 'sparking wine' from anywhere that challenged Champagne for quality that also did not not charge Champagne prices.

There are a lot of nice wines with bubbles, but few with the complexity of Champagne.

That being said there is a lot of crap coming out of Champagne these days.

Craig

And after all these hours no one took the challenge. The article was flawed in my humble opinion. There is no $4.80 bubbly equal to a $25.00 Champagne.

And if Champagne sales are off there may be much simpler factors than the article suggested.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

There is no $4.80 bubbly equal to a $25.00 Champagne.

There is also no $14.80 bubbly equal to good $25 Champagne and not many $24.80 bottles of sparking wines that offer the complexity in a good bottle of Champagne.

Having sold Champagne and sparkling wines at a retail level for the last six or seven years, I think most of the problem revolves around the fact that sparkling wines from California (Roederer Estate and Domaine Chandon come to mind) are not half the quality of, for instance Louis Roederer Brut NV or Moet Brut Imperial NV, but they are half the price.

Lost in the shuffle are truly remarkable Champagne houses like Billecart-Salmon and Bruno Paillard. I won't even touch on the challenges of selling RM or "grower" Champagnes, despite the fact that they can be some of the finest out there.

The industry needs to start actively promoting the quality rather than the brand.

I have never had a 'sparking wine' from anywhere that challenged Champagne for quality that also did not not charge Champagne prices.

There are a lot of nice wines with bubbles, but few with the complexity of Champagne.

That being said there is a lot of crap coming out of Champagne these days.

Craig,

Agree 100%.

And then there is the question of if you are paying top dollar for an imitation champagne, is there any point buying it?

I am not totally sure how it all works and who does what, but the price of a kg of grapes is set by some body and this sets the price. There are 110 houses and 11000 growers. The growers demand higher and higher prices and this is what sets the high prices.

At the Lauber Imports, Grand Annual Tasting held yesterday in NYC I had a Champagne Montaudon, Reims, Non Vintage, Brut. I am told by friends that at discount houses in NJ it can be purchased close to $20.00.

This champagne drank very well. Was packed with flavor and was very refreshing.

I think a very high quality to value ratio.

Did not find that $4.80 equal!!

Viejo

I frankly would rather drink brut Freixenet than some of the recent one-dimensional fizzy gunch with French labels. But on most days I'd rather spend a few more $$, drink Veuve Cliquot, and by damn knowthat I and/or my guests are getting the good stuff.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I assume this is directed at me???

First, guys named Baruch don't say Y'all at all :biggrin:

Second, beyond that tiny island you live on is a place called New Jersey. You need to go through a tunnel or use a bridge. You may wish to fly into Newark. :blink::blink::rolleyes:

Third, plenty of places out here across the border -- suggest you get a visa -- sell real Champage well under $30.00. That is US$, you don't need to do a currency exchange.

I can easily find, for example, Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Premier Cru NV for $20.00 at super discounters. May even find their Blanc de Blanc NV for about $22-$23.

Veuve Clicot (yellow label) can be purchase under $30.00.

And the Montaudon I mentioned earlier lists at the Distributor for $20.00, not sure of retail, and received 90 Points from WS Dec 31, 2002 issue.

I would think, taxes aside, you should be able to find like values on your Island. :biggrin:

Speaking of your Island, I grew up in the Lillian Wald projects and use that as an excuse as to why I am like I am today.

Viejo