• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Kitchen Store

Any suggestions on a local kitchen supply store that is not Sur La Table?

I will be coming into a little bit of $$$ that I will (finally) be able to buy some Le Creuset and a good stockpot with.

If you want a good stock pot go to Cash and Carry in Bellevue. They have 18/10 grade stock pots at 20-30-40 quart sizes at a fraction of the price of City Kitchens or even the used section of Bargreen and Ellison.

that wine was so big it should have its own zip code!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 1 month later...
City Kitchens downtown is pretty good , though I have not noticed the prices on Le Creuset or stockpots. They always have good deals on knives and other random items (calaphon cookware), so I would guess that they might be pretty fairly priced. . .

I'd have to recommend any local kitchen store besides City Kitchens. Every time I've been in there I've had to pull teeth to get them to help me (even if I'm the only one in the store) and when they do, they've not had what I was looking for.

My take has been that since I'm often dressed in working-man's attire, I'm being ignored because their staff assumes I'm not going to spend tons of money. I've not faced that problem at Sur La Table--they've been more than helpful every time I go in, and their helpfulness has earned them my money and my loyalty.

On the other hand, a friend went in to City Kitchens covered in flour while on a break from work. They fell all over themselves to help him, so YMMV.

Huh. I've always had great service in City Kitchens. They are good ( in my opinion) in that they ask once if they can help, then back off, so maybe that's what happened? I don't like being hovered over, but they are always happy to help when I need it.

I always hit their sale in September, and usually drop around $500. They have great, quality stuff (none of that cheap Progressive brand crap), and the sale prices are terrific. One of my great finds last year was a 16 qt calphalon stockpot for $60.00. Currently, I don't have much use for this, but next time I need to make a mondo huge stock, or boil up more than one crab at a time, I'm ready! They let you play with all the knives as much as you want before buying. And I found the flatware of my dreams, after searching for years. And each year, I buy one new Le Creuset piece. Oh, and I love the olive wood utensils (functional, comfortable, and beautiful!), and the le creuset silicone spatulas. After 6 years of this, my kitchen is just about done...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I'd have to recommend any local kitchen store besides City Kitchens. Every time I've been in there I've had to pull teeth to get them to help me (even if I'm the only one in the store) and when they do, they've not had what I was looking for.

My take has been that since I'm often dressed in working-man's attire, I'm being ignored because their staff assumes I'm not going to spend tons of money.

I've been to City Kitchens dozens of times and have always had excellent service, even when they're swamped. And I'm certainly not dressed up when I'm there. Give it another try.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Kinch about City Kitchens and the "customer service". Sometimes I know I may have to end up going there because I know they may have a good price on a specialty item, but I end up gritting my teeth as I go in because I know it's hard to get someone to help me.

I was just in there this week to buy a gift for someone (a digital scale for someone who likes to bake often). It was a good deal on the scale -- digital Salter with an 11lb. capacity for $49.95 -- but as I came in I couldn't resist getting some Emile Henry ovenproof bowls on closeout (they'd be nice for individual cobblers maybe?). I didn't see any shopping baskets around, so having stacked them up tall and doing a balancing act with my hands while at the same time trying to look around for about 20 minutes, someone finally asked if I wanted to put them behind the counter. Of course I would! I admit it should have occurred to me go up to someone and ask if they could help me with the bowls, and maybe this should not have been a really big deal except the store was not that busy, there were at least four people on the floor doing NOTHING except walking around, and the store is not that big. I'm all for the laidback/low pressure sell and I'm sure they're knowledgable, but please at least notice your customers and not try to avoid eye contact with them! This is not my first occurence of this type there (maybe it's time to send these posts to their manager). Sadly, I'm sure I'll have to go back in there someday, but I will definitely try to look at one of the other stores that you lovely people have posted here first.

• 2 months later...

For old time's sake my wife and I dropped in to City Kitchens and again, I walked out with a new knife. They currently have open stock tonkatsu knives for 1/2 off. I picked up a Messermeister that's quite attractive and a joy to use for only $49. There was a Henckles for only $35.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that I now hit Sur la Table more often as I work next door to it and they give a 15% professional food worker's discount, which is enough to make a lot of their prices more reasonable.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I love City Kitchens and Seattle Reaturant Supply, I also find myself buying many items of of Amazon.com, some really incredible fell off the back of the truck type prices sometimes. Picked up a ten piece set of Anolon ware at 80% off once.

Rocky