• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If not Tignanello then what?

Alex F

I like very much red wines from the DOC area of Montecucco, Tuscany. :wub:

It's located few miles south of Montalcino but it's not very well known around the world.

This kind of wines are mainly made with Sangiovese, aged in barriques, very high in alcohol and fruity.

Some producers make also a red very similar to the Brunello di Montalcino at 1/4 of its price (about 10 Euros here in Italy).

It seems that people around the world are happy to pay for the name on the label and not for the content of the bottle. :wink:

Last night had the '99 Capezzana Carmignano and thought I'd mention it here as it's voluptuous, balanced and at +-$20, an exceptional if inexpensive Super Tuscan.

that's funny. i just opened that this weekend, too. i was surprised at how much it had evolved. very lush but still with enough backbone to match food. i had tried the 2001 a couple of weeks ago and was not very impressed ... go figure.

as long as we're chipping in on sangiovese, my all-time benchmark is castello della paneretta. that's the only chianti i buy every year, both regular and riserva.

ps: re: sono magnifico, if you were talking about yourself, that would be correct (sono is either first person or third person plural). if you were talking about the wines, it would be magnifici. i don't know you so i won't presume to judge either the intent or the accuracy of the statement.

ps: re: sono magnifico, if you were talking about yourself, that would be correct (sono is either first person or third person plural). if you were talking about the wines, it would be magnifici. i don't know you so i won't presume to judge either the intent or the accuracy of the statement.

That was regarding the wines. And tho certo sono, odd for one to still be magnifico though the single feminine :cool:

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

anyone else fallen for Travignoli's 97 Tegolaia? :wub:

imho at $38 (at vino in nyc) it's still worth the price

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

On the same web site I note they have some wines from Petrolo -- particularly  Terre di Galatrona which is pretty good. I bought a bottle from Alastair Little's shop in London (Tavola) -- he recommended it and it was delicious. It has some Merlot and Cabernet in, and is IGT. £100 a case.

Ohmigosh! This was my absolute favorite wine last autumn! The PLCB had apparently bought up a ton of this and were selling it in one of their "Truckload" sales for the ridiculous price of somewhere in the neighborhood of $14/bottle (I don't remember exactly). It was transcendently good for the price. Actually, it was just plain freakin' delicious - no qualifications necessary. It tasted like it cost $50/bottle. I fooled quite a few of my friends with it. I must have drank at least a case and a half of it, before other folks got wise and it sold out :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...
On the same web site I note they have some wines from Petrolo -- particularly  Terre di Galatrona which is pretty good. I bought a bottle from Alastair Little's shop in London (Tavola) -- he recommended it and it was delicious. It has some Merlot and Cabernet in, and is IGT.   £100 a case.

Ohmigosh! This was my absolute favorite wine last autumn! The PLCB had apparently bought up a ton of this and were selling it in one of their "Truckload" sales for the ridiculous price of somewhere in the neighborhood of $14/bottle (I don't remember exactly). It was transcendently good for the price. Actually, it was just plain freakin' delicious - no qualifications necessary. It tasted like it cost $50/bottle. I fooled quite a few of my friends with it. I must have drank at least a case and a half of it, before other folks got wise and it sold out :angry:

Just got back from Tuscany, where we stayed a few minutes up the road from the Fattoria Petrolo. The Terre di Galatrona was €9 a bottle at the fattoria! Stupidly, we hoovered up the six (wonderful) bottles we bought while we were there and just brought back a bottle of their Torrione 2000. Aaargh!!! If I had three legs, I'd use two of them to kick myself with!

My girlfriend and I got engaged while in Tuscany and had a bottle of Tignanello with our celebratory dinner, so it'll always be a special wine to me. As for other Tuscan wines, I think the Tenuta di Valgiano Palistorti from the Lucca area is a pretty damn good bottle.

Edited by spanky (log)