• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If not Tignanello then what?

Alex F

I wasn't sure whether to post this question or not but here goes.....

Tignanello, Sassicaia, Solaia = expensive and over-rated some say !??

So...

In terms of non DOC or DOCG wines from Italy, can we suggest some wines that are Sangiovese blends that are in-expensive, widely available and well worth drinking? Not necessarly Tuscan but interesting all the same.

Are we being watched :unsure:

There is nothing wrong with these wines except the price. Tignanello is not on the level of Solaia or Sassicaia.

They are all certainly expensive. Overrated is another question. The 1998 Sassicaia was amazing, but the wine varies a bit much in quality from vintage to vintage for such a high price. They are all capable of excellence.

They also are very different wines with Tignanello and Solaia being from Chianti Classico and Solaia from the warmer Maremma. Also you ask for Sangiovese based wines but Tignanello is the only one of the three defined by Sangiovese (80%) with the others primarily based on Bordeaux varietals - Sassicaia has no sangiovese in the blend.

For some other wines with a real sangiovese character here is a short list of wines I personally like to drink:

Monsanto Il Poggio Chianti Classico Riserva

Riecine Chianti Classico Riserva and La Gioia (could be the best values in Toscana)

Costanti Rosso di Montalcino an and Brunello

Montevertine - Le Pergole Torte and Il Sodaccio (some of the finest sangiovese produced)

Fattoria Zerbina - Marzieno and Pietramora (Emilia Romagna)

As long as we're noting stratospheric price levels I believe that Rampolla's Vigna d'alceo should be included. A notch lower in price but almost as good is Frescobaldi's new Giramonte which is outstanding. I actually prefer both of these to Solaia including the '97 which is outrageously expensive while the '99 Vigna d'alceo seems to be challenging it in some restaurants.

I've always been a fan of Castello di Fonterutoli. Chianti Classico or the Reserva. Both good wines.

Lots of non-reserva Brunello's on the market at half the price of Tig. Mind you, I like Tig and buy a few bottles every year.

slowfood/slowwine

Craig

Your answer was correct and consise as usual, it my question that was vague. You’re right of course, Tignanello is the only one that is ‘defined’ by Sangiovese with it’s 80% content, Solaia at 20% and Sassicaia having none at all.

The question I was trying to ask was, which of the Tuscan IGT wines offer good value for money when compared with the more pricey ‘Super-Tuscans’?

May’s Decanter magazine published a buying guide to Tuscan IGT wines from 1999. Only one received 5 stars, which was the Azienda Agricola Il Lebbio by Polito. However a good number were given 4 stars and ranged from £7.14 for a Testardo from Sensi to a £52.30 bottle of Vigorello from San Felice.

Your thoughts...?

Edited by Alex F (log)

The question I was trying to ask was, which of the Tuscan IGT wines offer good value for money when compared with the more pricey ‘Super-Tuscans’?

The IGT only continues to confuse. Super Tuscans are Toscano IGT. The name Super Tuscan does not exist in any controlled context. Click here for my IGT TDG article.

Are you looking for good values in modern (read barrique) styled sangiovese? What price range?

The best value in a Super Tuscan styled wine may come from Emilia Romagna - Fattoria Zerbina Marzieno (belend with cabernet) and Pietramora (100% sangiovese).

The 1997 Campaccio is great; however imho the Campaccio wax seal reserve is not worth it. On the other hand the Ceppate, which is about twice (?) the price of the [magnificent] Campaccio, is a great, great wine. If money's not an issue, do give it a go.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The 1997 Campaccio is great; however imho the Campaccio wax seal reserve is not worth it. On the other hand the Ceppate, which is about three times (?) the price of the [magnificent] Campaccio, is a great, great wine. And if money's not an issue, do give it a go.

I could not agree more.

Excellent deal Alex. Enjoy!

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Ok, I've found Campaccio 97 at www.everywine.co.uk for £101.87 for a case of 12 (under £9 a bottle) which sounds good to me.

I think that price is for 12 half bottles, not full bottles.

On the same web site I note they have some wines from Petrolo -- particularly Terre di Galatrona which is pretty good. I bought a bottle from Alastair Little's shop in London (Tavola) -- he recommended it and it was delicious. It has some Merlot and Cabernet in, and is IGT. £100 a case.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of personal favorites (in terms of price/quality) are:

- Fattoria Monsanto Sangiovese Fabrizio (1999, hard to find)

- San Felice Vigorello (1997 and 1999)

- Avignonesi Toro Desiderio (OK, not Sangiovese but Oh My!!)

- San Fabiano Calcinai Cerviolo (1999)

- Fattoria Corzano e Paterno Il Corzano (1999)

- San Vincenti Stignano (1999)

- Isole e Olena Cepperello (1997 and 1999)

Mmmm...

And to be honest, I have to dispute the "over-rated" tag on Tignanello. Perhaps this is due to my own good fortune (I was lucky enough to get a case of the 1997 upon release while in Italy at a now excellent seeming price), perhaps it is just personal taste - but I find it a truly wonderful wine.

fanatic...

Malachi: I take you 're not the Art Ensemble's bassist, Mr. Flavors? :wub: Anyway I'd concur with Avignonesi and Isole e Olena Cepperello, 1997. Sono magnifico.

-Beaumarchais

Heh... no, just a humble fisherman.

I had a bottle of the 1997 Cepperello at a little place in Volterra with a magnificent Cinghiale Salame and some Peccorino Toscana.

Mmmm....

fanatic...

they're all good :blush:

but in my defense: i dont speak italian. just french, spanish, portuguese, czech, and a wee bit english. plus i'm taking mandarine now.

xxxox

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

they're all good :blush:

but in my defense: i dont speak italian. just french, spanish, portuguese, czech, and a wee bit english. plus i'm taking mandarine now.

xxxox

Impressive line up. Madame de Stael said that a man who can speak five languages is worth five men. She didn't talk about someone who can speak only one and two bits though like me :sad:

• 1 month later...

Last night had the '99 Capezzana Carmignano and thought I'd mention it here as it's voluptuous, balanced and at +-$20, an exceptional if inexpensive Super Tuscan.

-Beaumarchais