• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bec-Fin at Rittenhouse Row Festival

Andrew:

Only if you were dressed in satin boxing trunks and Beth dressed like a "round girl" could this have flown, so to speak... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Heh.  Well, that still would have gone over better than my other idea for a theme wedding: "The Four Bridesmaids of the Apocalypse."

and what, pray tell, might that have appeared to be?

paint me a vision please, my imagination about the world ending isn't as strong as it is otherwise.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

glad you're tight.  key point, we never said chicago was cool, although it probably is and i want to visit sometime within next 12 months.

Chicago is a freakin blast. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's one of those places I've had to go back to every year and a half or so since the first time I went, just because I have so much fun every time.

* There's a giant clothes pin, and it's rusty.

yup, one of the most well known outdoor sculptures in US, from what i hear.

most people refer to the building it's in front of as the clothespin building.

didn't know it was rusty though, i figured they woulda thought of that ahead of time when building it.

Yeah it's a pretty famous sculpture, by a guy named Claes Oldenberg, who has done many sculptures of large versions of everyday objects. There's a giant broken button up at Penn that's also by him. And I don't remember if it's rusty or just painted brown--I think the latter, although if it's rusty, it's on purpose.

I mean, not that anyone cares. OK nevermind, who wants to hear about the copper river salmon that just came in while we were in Seattle? no one? OK nevermind.

And lo, I saw the angel open the seventh seal.  And the sky turned black and the earth shook.  And behold, a voice spake unto me:

"CHICKEN OR FISH?"

but what hapened to the four bridesmaids?

nobody works their reception into the ceremony, do they?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thanks for all the "Chicago is cool" accolades.  You warm our hearts.  It's an interesting group, and we're pretty tight.

glad you're tight. key point, we never said chicago was cool, although it probably is and i want to visit sometime within next 12 months.

we said the chicago group on egullet was cool, b/c from the posts it looked like you're having a blast. the fact that you're tight and pretty passionate about stuff, willing to organize things, etc. is what makes it all work.

Not to drive this thread toward the subject of Chicago, but I when I wrote "Chicago is cool," I was referencing Chicago as a group of people on eGullet like, "Chicago Chapter" or something like that. I must get a nod in for the home team whenever I can. See, we were actually on the same line of thought. You must draw your own conclusions about Chicago, the city. But still, Chicago, the city is also pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

* There's a giant clothes pin, and it's rusty.

yup, one of the most well known outdoor sculptures in US, from what i hear.

most people refer to the building it's in front of as the clothespin building.

didn't know it was rusty though, i figured they woulda thought of that ahead of time when building it.

It's not rusty? :wacko: Many apologies, I thought it was rusty. Unlike the tourists that think Benjamin Franklin stands atop City Hall, I fall into the tourist camp that thinks the clothes pin is rusty.

* Philadelphia was the home of "Angie."

no idea what movie that was until i googled it. geena davis did it, and it came out in '94, and i don't remember it at all.

I was talking about Angie, the 70s television sit-com set in Philadelphia starring Donna Pescow, Robert Hayes, and Doris Roberts who is currently Ramond's mother in Everybody Loves Raymond. Donna Pescow played the girl who so badly wanted Tony Monero (John Tavolta) in Saturday Night Fever, and in the process of trying to win him over, sadly got way more than she was asking for. Robert Hayes went on to be the accidental hero in the movie Airplane. Remember the scene where he is finally landing the plane and he sweats?

anyway, whenever i go to chicago, you can help me plan my trip. :laugh:

You're on. I will drag you to every greasy spoon and hole-in-the-wall in town, but mind you, only the good ones. :wink:

It's not rusty? :wacko:  Many apologies, I thought it was rusty.  Unlike the tourists that think Benjamin Franklin stands atop City Hall, I fall into the tourist camp that thinks the clothes pin is rusty.

no need to apologize. it may well be rusty. should stop by sometime and take a gander.

I was talking about Angie, the 70s television sit-com set in Philadelphia starring Donna Pescow, Robert Hayes, and Doris Roberts who is currently Ramond's mother in Everybody Loves Raymond.  Donna Pescow played the girl who so badly wanted Tony Monero (John Tavolta) in Saturday Night Fever, and in the process of trying to win him over, sadly got way more than she was asking for.  Robert Hayes went on to be the accidental hero in the movie Airplane.  Remember the scene where he is finally landing the plane and he sweats?

i gots no clue what that is.

You're on.  I will drag you to every greasy spoon and hole-in-the-wall in town, but mind you, only the good ones.  :wink:

does greasy spoon refer to diner/coffee shop? i do love holes in the wall. hopefully they're all holes in different walls.

i always tell people that my favorite places in hong kong are the places you dump the tea you washed your plate, bowl, chopsticks, and teacup with into a small tub under the table.

also called dai pai dong in cantonese.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.