• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Labneh Sandwich

I've gotten hooked on a wonderful openfaced sandwich prepared by the Philadelphia Java Company on 4th Street just north of South

The call it the Labneh Sandwich and credit it to the Levent district of Istanbul. A bit of web searching indicates this sandwich is popular throughout the Mideast.

Lebneh is yogurt cheese, prepared by adding salt to fresh yoghurt, placing it in cheese cloth and letting it drain overnight. The Philadelphia Java company lays a thick layer of labneh on a thick slice of french bread, arranges marinated olive halves on the labneh, sprinkles with mint, and drizzles the sandwich with olive oil.

It's a clean tasting, tangy sandwich, perfect for awakening one's tastebuds on a Sunday spring morn.

LabnehSandwich.jpg

Photo Copyright 2003 - HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Sounds like a cool alternative topping for Sunday bagels instead of the standard cream cheese and lox.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

it is interesting, not much for olives myself.

used to like phila java. then a few months ago, sometime after the renovations,

stopped in for coffee, barista guy was completely inhospitable.

wouldn't answer questions, surly service.

will probably give it another chance when i'm in area, because i always like the independents.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Very surprised to hear the barista guy was surly.  I've found them all to be darn friendly.

Eat your olives.  They're good for you.

was my first surly one. coulda been bad day or something, just doesn't excuse it.

i eat lots of stuff that's good for me.

i also eat lots of stuff that's bad for me.

i eat what i like.

some of it happens to be good for me.

some of it ain't so healthy.

fruit, vegetables, water, olive oil

pork fat, butter, bread

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm confused. I thought labneh was a pizza looking deal. Hunh?

Same answer I gave you before on Cinco de Mayo. Not in Philadelphia :smile:

Actually, Labneh is the fresh cheese made from yogurt. It has a cream cheese like texture. In the Middle East I suspect they often spread it on pita, giving it a pizza like appearance. Perhaps that is your experience. I think I prefer it on the bread used by Philadelphia Java Company. Pita would be heavier I suspect.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm confused.  I thought labneh was a pizza looking deal.  Hunh?

true, it looks like pizza to me too, before reading.

but the cheese ain't melted enough.

didja look at holly's description?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Cheese isn't melted at all.  Just slathered on like cream cheese.

i wasn't sure if it was melted at all, at least on purpose.

so labneh is a type of cheese, non-solid enough to be spreadable when cold.

is that correct?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm confused. I thought labneh was a pizza looking deal. Hunh?

Same answer I gave you before on Cinco de Mayo. Not in Philadelphia :smile:

Actually, Labneh is the fresh cheese made from yogurt. It has a cream cheese like texture. In the Middle East I suspect they often spread it on pita, giving it a pizza like appearance. Perhaps that is your experience. I think I prefer it on the bread used by Philadelphia Java Company. Pita would be heavier I suspect.

You're right. I was thinking of lahmejun --which is a pizza.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

That sandwich reminds me of the cream cheese and olive sandwiches I ate as a little kid. Haven't had one of them since, probably, fourth grade... but they were good... probably fell out of the dietary habit as my mom got turned off to fat as the health craze spread across the mind of America.

That really looks like a grown-up version of food I ate long ago. Now that there are better olives than just the pimento-stuffed brine-in-the-jar kind, I might have to start experimenting with that sandwich again. hmmmm...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

That sandwich reminds me of the cream cheese and olive sandwiches I ate as a little kid.

to my chinese-american sensibilities, that sounds nasty. but i'm sure i've had tons of stuff others would consider inedible.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

That sandwich reminds me of the cream cheese and olive sandwiches I ate as a little kid.

to my chinese-american sensibilities, that sounds nasty. but i'm sure i've had tons of stuff others would consider inedible.

Speaking of Chinese, Ruen Pair (Thai) in LA makes something called Chinese Olives and Pork--very tasty.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.