• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we eat when nobody's looking . . .

It's those colourful sprinkles that you sprinkle on top of your ice cream.

Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.hatziyiannakis.com/sprinkles.html

Thanks... it's definitely a better name than just plain "sprinkles" as they're called in the US. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I am very much impressed with some of the weird combinations thus far, so mine will be rather tame by comparison.

I don't so much do this when "no one" is looking, but anything that is outside of its normal preparation/consumption parameters (note, I've never liked cold pizza - that's just wrong! :grin:):

-thick-rolled slow cooking oats (dry)

-frozen peanuts

And then of course, vastly huge quantities of crystallized ginger. Yum.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I was working an office job in Lower Manhattan and I developed a horrible low-budget progressive walking lunch ritual when I needed to run an errand to the bank:

I worked on the Hudson River and would walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and back along Chambers Street, all alone, enjoying my lunch. I would start with a hot dog with kraut and mustard from a cart on the West Side Highway. As I opped the last bite of hot dog into my mouth I would be walking into McDonalds, for a $1 Double Cheeseburger. I would continue eating an walking to the bank for a break. After the bank it was either a slice of pizza from one of 3 pizza places depending on who had the freshest plain slice in the window, or a couple Croquetas De Jamon from Sophies Cuban. At Broadway I would smell the peanut vendors and buy a bag of hot honey roasted nuts that I would eat as I walked back across the island. Just before I went back into my office I would spend 50 cents on a small Coconut or Vanilla Chip Italian Ice which I would finish at my desk.

*sigh* Sounds about perfect.

[

-frozen peanuts

That reminded me that I love frozen peas. My mom used to give them to my sister and me as snacks when we were little, in little orange cups.

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

peanut and bacon.umm um..that sounds so good...do you grill it?

Ohh, man, I love peanut butter and bacon. Bread (whole wheat is nice here), peanut butter, bacon, grape jelly if you're feeling really decadant, lots of cracked black pepper. Grill in a little butter till the peanut butter gets melty and hot.

step 1. Cook up a batch of annie's mac and cheese:

step 2. add condiment of choice ~

Me: a good dollop of annie's Goddess Dressing

Larry: about a cup of Catsup (ewww)

or

a plate full of sliced apple, olives, pickles, and all the different cheeses and mustards in the refrigrator.

Robin Tyler McWaters