• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we eat when nobody's looking . . .

26th Birthday dinner: 4 alligator bites (shots) french fries, baked brie, a bottle of MD-20/20, 2 vodka & red bulls, and the cracker from an MRE.

I had fireguard that night from 12 a.m. til 2 a.m. and we left for a week in the field the following morning. I gave more than a 10% donation to the porcelain altar

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I just realized how much of this thread I've read with a horrified look  :huh:  on my face.  But who am I to talk!

I went through it getting eating alone ideas! :biggrin:

Bread, gooey cheese and lime pickle followed by chocolate.

I just realized how much of this thread I've read with a horrified look  :huh:  on my face.  But who am I to talk!

I went through it getting eating alone ideas! :biggrin:

Bread, gooey cheese and lime pickle followed by chocolate.

Make that into a sandwich and you've got it right.

• 7 months later...
But then way in the back of the pantry I spotted a box of cake mix that I had bought to make a Sherry Wine Cake.

So I got a spoon and brought the box of dry cake mix back to bed and sat there crosslegged and started eating.

I turned on the TV - no longer sleepy - but the only thing on was the Home Shopping Network.

I did finally fall asleep.  The next morning, I realized to my horror that I had eaten half the box.

And ordered a tacky fake emerald ring as well.

:laugh:

That's . . . whoa.

Word.

A related story about a friend of mine--sad, but funny. I never realized why she always bought lunch in the school cafeteria until we had a field trip where we had to bring a lunch from home. Her mom packed her two Jell-O packets, one orange and one lime, and she ate them like Pixi-Stix.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

ripe banana, butter, dark brown sugar and a little vanilla all mashed together then wrapped in spring roll pastry and deep fried :wub:

.... but only late at night when my husband is on night shift

Whenever I am recovering from my medicine's ability to kill my appetite, I have a small ritual of food progression back to fullon porkout.

First, I start out with chicken broth. The magnesium and potassium are a safe way to bring my blood back up, and waken sleepy tastebuds. Now to the weird progression: I make a salty lemonade, with lemon juice, salt, and good bottled water. I crave this..and after I have it heated or iced, I can move on up to FOOD. Usually it's a whitemeated fish, or chicken, but I also crave chiles at this time. So my first meals are quite spiced.

Then, it's on to traditional foods such as game and porkroast. Last to be able to digest is beef. But that's just my weird craves.

My favorite game animal is now antelope, then elk, bison, venison. Javalina is excellent! Russian hog is also A-1 if cooked properly. Razorback as well.

Now to the weird progression: I make a salty lemonade, with lemon juice, salt, and good bottled water.

Screw that, just get some margarita mix!

Ok, my weird food confession. One of them, anyway. Lunch today: Leftover chicken pot pie (cold) with kosher salt and tortilla chips crumbled on it. Leftover grilled hamburger with habanero sauce (homemade) and mayo (not homemade). Bread & butter pickles eaten from the jar and three sugar cookies my daughter made as a school project.

Top that, Mr. Kimchee!

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

When I was small, my favorite thing in the world was a teaspoon of Crisco, dipped in plain white sugar...now it makes me shudder.

I used to know a guy who would do that with a stick of butter. Butter, dipped into sugar, then either licked or bitten, redipped, continue until the remote is extra greasy...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

When I was small, my favorite thing in the world was a teaspoon of Crisco, dipped in plain white sugar...now it makes me shudder.

My mother used to dip little balls of butter in sugar and give them to us. She called them sugar plums.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

Baloney, kraft yellow slice, french's mustard on white bread washed down with hot chocolate

. .*shudder*

I usually take this sumptious meal on the bank of a creek while in between attempts to catch trout.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I was all about the toasted peanut butter and cheese sandwich...open face.

White bread

+

Creamy peanut butter (chunky if you prefer)

+

Slices of cheddar cheese to cover

Pop in toaster oven until cheese bubbles.

Eat carefully because the peanut butter is like napalm.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Consecutively ate within 2 hours:

A cheeseburger-flavored hotpocket

A half a box of TLC (Tasty Little Crackers)--cheese flavored and dipped in homemade pimento cheese spread

6 peeled, baby carrots doused in aged balsamic vinegar

2 deli-style pickles

A handful of pimento-stuffed olives

A slice of Private Selection brand swiss cheese from Kroger

Strawberry-Kiwi sugar free Jello-cup

A half-bottle of White Bordeaux

The Accidental Chef

I hit one of the greasy fried chicken franchises (pardon my redundancy), buy a bucket of chicken and a dozen biscuits.  Once home I tear pieces the skin/crust and a little bit of the meat of the chicken and insert it in the still warm biscuits.  Thighs work best for this.

The remaining chicken goes in the fridge for quick snacks.

I always manage to eat all the skin off the chicken (no matter what kind, from Popeye's to home-roasted) as I put the leftover chicken away after dinner. I figure it won't be as good the next day anyway, so I might as well enjoy it while it's still nice and crispy.

And if I happen to use skinless chicken in a recipe, I take all the skin, cut it up, and render the fat. Don't usually use the fat, but I eat all the crispy skin-bits sprinkled with kosher salt. Very evil.

Someone should market chicken-skin bits, like bacon bits!

morda

I'm dating someone that consumes an occasional spoonful of barbecue sauce when no one's looking.  Or even when they are looking.  He doesn't care.

Hell, I eat barbecue sauce all the time.

We made some at school a few weeks ago, and I ate half the saucepan.

Condensed Chicken Broth. I'd stick my finger in, savour, grimace, and then come back for more.

There was once when I even packed a chicken stock cube to school just in case I needed something salty. :shock:

I don't know if this is as weird as all y'allz, but I LOVE Kewpie mayo and Sriracha on white bread. I've tried it on whole wheat, but the WW takes away some of the condiments' flavor.

Along those same lines, I love Miracle Whip with Sriracha on bread, but I only eat that when I'm in my parents' house. :shock:

Kraft singles drizzled with the Kewpie mayo and Sriracha, or Kraft singles with Heinz's new spicy ketchup. So awesome.

I can eat the Kewpie mayo by itself. Ugh... but soooooo gooooood.

When I was younger, my mother would make us hot dogs in buns. I'd pull the hot dog out with my teeth and eat it first. Then, I'd tear up the bun, piece by piece, smush it around in my fingers until each piece became a little ball, and then dip it in ketchup and eat it.

And, this isn't so weird, but it's delicious: when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, my mother made me her incredible egg salad. I mixed Sriracha with that, and it was a dream.

*Edit fo' spellage*

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

• 4 months later...

I was working an office job in Lower Manhattan and I developed a horrible low-budget progressive walking lunch ritual when I needed to run an errand to the bank:

I worked on the Hudson River and would walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and back along Chambers Street, all alone, enjoying my lunch. I would start with a hot dog with kraut and mustard from a cart on the West Side Highway. As I opped the last bite of hot dog into my mouth I would be walking into McDonalds, for a $1 Double Cheeseburger. I would continue eating an walking to the bank for a break. After the bank it was either a slice of pizza from one of 3 pizza places depending on who had the freshest plain slice in the window, or a couple Croquetas De Jamon from Sophies Cuban. At Broadway I would smell the peanut vendors and buy a bag of hot honey roasted nuts that I would eat as I walked back across the island. Just before I went back into my office I would spend 50 cents on a small Coconut or Vanilla Chip Italian Ice which I would finish at my desk.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

I hit one of the greasy fried chicken franchises (pardon my redundancy), buy a bucket of chicken and a dozen biscuits.  Once home I tear pieces the skin/crust and a little bit of the meat of the chicken and insert it in the still warm biscuits.  Thighs work best for this.

The remaining chicken goes in the fridge for quick snacks.

I always manage to eat all the skin off the chicken (no matter what kind, from Popeye's to home-roasted) as I put the leftover chicken away after dinner. I figure it won't be as good the next day anyway, so I might as well enjoy it while it's still nice and crispy.

And if I happen to use skinless chicken in a recipe, I take all the skin, cut it up, and render the fat. Don't usually use the fat, but I eat all the crispy skin-bits sprinkled with kosher salt. Very evil.

Someone should market chicken-skin bits, like bacon bits!

morda

A bunch of us gather in a local watering hole on Sundays to watch golf and eat chicken wings; the "good" girls pull the crispy fried skin off their wings (too much fat) and I (the "very traditionally built" one) have been known to snitch it off the "bone plate". Also still love a childhood treat: butter a slice of Pepperidge Farm white bread, sprinkle with white sugar and eat with "cambric tea" (weak tea with milk & sugar) It was my Grandmother's recipe for a treat, and the first thing I craved when I was preggers! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any of these are wierd at all... i eat bizarre things all the time... that's probably because there is no one looking all the time :wink:

I eat powdered milk (Nestle) right out of the can when im watching t.v. It has a nice dry crumbly texture that melts in your mouth.

I also make buttered white toast with 1cm thick of peanut butter and sprinkle generous amount of pork floss which you get in chinese supermarkets. It's gross, but to me, it's a little piece of heaven.

I also make buttered white bread sprinkled with hundreds and thousands (this is not extrodinary because Australian kids eat this all the time, it's called fairy bread)

I used to know a guy who would do that with a stick of butter. Butter, dipped into sugar, then either licked or bitten, redipped, continue until the remote is extra greasy...

I do it all the time... i buy the single pack butters, take it out of the package and roll it over sugar and eat. Sometimes i just eat it as it is with the salted type. My favorite are the whiped butter, i can go through a dozen tablespoon, no problemo!

When i have some leftover roasted chicken, i shread them into tiny pieces and mix it into vanilla or mango flavoured yogurt and stir in some peanut butter and chopped strawberries. It's like yogurt with a meaty texture! :raz:

I very often make peanut butter sushi without the rice, by using wrapping peanut butter in Korean chilli oil infused roasted seaweed.

I could go on and on... but these are what i eat very often :huh: Does this make me a weirdo?

EDITed to say, i just made some microwaved cheese and marshmellow sprinkled with hundred and thousands as a dip for nacho chips... absolutely devine. :biggrin:

Edited by Phish (log)

I also make buttered white bread sprinkled with hundreds and thousands (this is not extrodinary because Australian kids eat this all the time, it's called fairy bread)

what are hundreds and thousands? sorry if this has been explained previously. (i love the term fairy bread.)

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs