• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we eat when nobody's looking . . .

Spoonfuls of sour cream dusted with kosher salt and puffy Cheetos.

that is nasty.

i shudder thinking about it.

Ummm: I don't shudder. Sounds good. Yes, yes! Puffy Cheetos.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yeah, well, I didn't expect to find compadres when I posted that.

What can I say? I stumbled on that taste treat when I was about 10.

Table salt really doesn't do the combination justice.

Hey, it's late. There's sour cream in my fridge right now.

I'll be right back... :biggrin:

Spoonfuls of sour cream dusted with kosher salt and puffy Cheetos.

that is nasty.

i shudder thinking about it.

Ummm: I don't shudder. Sounds good. Yes, yes! Puffy Cheetos.

puffy cheetos are quite tasty. not as good as potato stix or pork rinds or shrimp chips, but tasty nonetheless.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

Once many years back when I was much younger - okay, last June - I had been feeling really sick for about three days. Stomach flu. Couldn't keep anything down. I spent most of the time in bed, sleeping, when I wasn't running to the bathroom.

So about 2am on the fourth day, I woke up. I felt great. But I was STARVING!

I went out and dug around in the fridge - nothing. Freezer - a frozen roast, coupla chickens. Everything hard as, well, frozen roasts and chickens.

Pantry - not even cans of soup. Nothing.

But then way in the back of the pantry I spotted a box of cake mix that I had bought to make a Sherry Wine Cake.

So I got a spoon and brought the box of dry cake mix back to bed and sat there crosslegged and started eating.

I turned on the TV - no longer sleepy - but the only thing on was the Home Shopping Network.

I did finally fall asleep. The next morning, I realized to my horror that I had eaten half the box.

And ordered a tacky fake emerald ring as well.

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that, of the more than 5 billion inhabitants of Earth, I was the only person eating this dinner tonight. In fact, I bet I'm the only person in the history of the universe to eat this international-eclectic meal:

- Sliced cabbage kimchi (eaten directly from the jar with a fork)

- Samuel Smith's organically brewed lager

- Pringles (Original)

Disregard the knife and the little bits of cheese -- those are for Momo-the-dog.

By providing details, I don't mean to indicate that my standard for determining whether anybody else has ever eaten this meal requires great specificity. In fact, I'm willing to go with just kimchi, Pringles, and beer as an unprecedented combination. Three simple ingredients; history in the making.

Cannot say as though I can quite top that combination... but back in college I used to eat turnip kimchee (eaten with chopsticks out of the jar), thai ramen (i forget the brand, but was a wonderful spicy shrimp/lime flavored ramen, and guava Jarritos (mexican fruit soda) for a meal.

I'm a very non-outdoorsy girl who hiked 12 miles yesterday (at least 4 miles of that straight uphill), so today all I could do was lie on the couch and eat whatever was easily in grasp. That ended up being the contents of my hiking backpack from yesterday. I think I had four Quaker Oats Chewy granola bars and half a bag of dried apricots. I also dragged myself to the freezer on my currently useless legs to finish off the rest of my Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream pint.

This might be a new low point. But I've also been known to consume whole 1-lb. pound tubs of cottage cheese for lunch, sometimes paired with Oreo cookies.

My husband can't stand to see this, so I wait until I am alone: Steam a hamburger or hotdog roll or other white bread until warm, soft, and pillowy. Take the one-pound block of Plugra butter out of the freezer and slice off a 3/8"-thick slab. Slap the frozen slab of butter in the warm bread and eat at once. Feel the butter melt on your tongue.

Feel the butter melt on your tongue.

I used to do this with croissants and baguettes just pulled from the oven.

I haven't done it with mushy white bread though.

Sounds appealing. (Like a wallet bulge looks to a pickpocket.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

oscar meyer cheese dogs (the kind with the little gobs of cheesefood interspersed) nuked til it's almsot hard (on purpose) and dipped directly into frank's red hot sauce.

have loved it since i was a kid. and it only got better when i realized the damage i could do to the dog by nuking it.

Strawberry or Lemon yogurt with sour cream and onion potato chips.

My husband once caught me eating this and was throughly disgusted. Personally, I like the contrast of the creamy and crunchy, the salty and sweet/sour and the cold vs. room temperature (provided you did the chips in the yogurt).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Yesterday I ate Wavy Lays Hickory BBQ chips dipped in cottage cheese. Followed later in the day by Beef Ramen. Drained of all water. Mixed with butter, seasoning packet, hot sauce and adobo. Dinner was a lovely concoction of leftovers. Pot roast, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy and veggies. Microwaved and combined. Threw in some sharp cheddar for good measure. Eaten on potato bread.

I was all alone all day, my boyfriend had to work. So, I didn't have to hear him say " Eww, how can you eat that ?".

I also love Flamin Hot Cheetos. I eat them plain or sometimes dipped in ranch dressing.

I have many, many more weird combos but cannot possibly remember them all.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Last Saturday, all consumed within a half hour:

roasted nori

pistachios

peppermint tea

white nectarine

instant pancit canton with shredded cabbage, scallions, leftover roast pork and a scrambled egg

tomato sandwich (mushy white bread, tomatoes and Hellman's mayo)

But then way in the back of the pantry I spotted a box of cake mix that I had bought to make a Sherry Wine Cake.

So I got a spoon and brought the box of dry cake mix back to bed and sat there crosslegged and started eating.

I turned on the TV - no longer sleepy - but the only thing on was the Home Shopping Network.

I did finally fall asleep.  The next morning, I realized to my horror that I had eaten half the box.

That's . . . whoa.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I did finally fall asleep.  The next morning, I realized to my horror that I had eaten half the box.

That's . . . whoa.

Word.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A spoonful of Hershey's syrup when no one's looking! :shock:  :laugh:

Oh, that's relatively normal. I'm dating someone that consumes an occasional spoonful of barbecue sauce when no one's looking. Or even when they are looking. He doesn't care. He's also been known to sample little sips of Worcestershire sauce, salad dressing, and soy sauce. (He keeps saying that Kikomann tastes like chicken bouillon, in an effort to get me to try it, but I just tell him I'll take his word for it and have politely declined.)

Speaking of Hershey's syrup: When I was a child, mom used to make us chocolate milk with Bosco syrup. There always was a puddle of syrup in the bottom of the glass, so I used to mix in hot water to drink down the last dregs. Everyone told me it sounded gross, so I shrugged and started calling it "yucky tea."

I'm dating someone that consumes an occasional spoonful of barbecue sauce when no one's looking.  Or even when they are looking.  He doesn't care.

Hell, I eat barbecue sauce all the time.

We made some at school a few weeks ago, and I ate half the saucepan.

Noise is music. All else is food.