• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we eat when nobody's looking . . .

Nero: Was this preceded by inhalation of a controlled or illegal substance?

hahaha. Well, Nero, was it?

:laugh:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

or I'll get the toast munchies and go through three or four slices of sourdough with plugra.

Toast munchies. Yes, I get this every few months.

Oh. Tinned mackerel sandwich. Probably with kimchee or togarashi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Nero:  What is "big momma" wine?

Nero is all crazy busy now with school, and I know she can't peruse egullet like she used to. So, since I was with her on the night of the Cracker Trio, eight million potato chips, mini-cakes and Philly cream cheese bars, washed down with Big Momma wine ( :blink: ), I can tell you all about that special vino.... it's one of those super corny wines with cartoon labels... this one had a cheerful, plump matron on it, I believe she was offering up a steaming bowl of pasta. It's sort of in the vein of that Old Fart wine, if you've ever noticed that stuff. Basically it was glug to help the dairy and carb mania down our throats... :smile:

Cheers,

Fritz

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Just now, it's 8:30:

Can of Maroccoan skin-on bone-in Sardines in Olive Oil, two slices WASA Knaeckebrod and Giffords of Maine French Vanilla Ice Cream with Romanian Blackberry Syrup. Malox. :biggrin:

Peter

or I'll get the toast munchies and go through three or four slices of sourdough with plugra.

Toast munchies. Yes, I get this every few months.

So do I. When I was pregnant with my daughter I could eat 6 slices of toast on occasion. It still happens even when I'm not expecting.

Some other weird likes:

sardines with jalapeno slices and saltine crackers

deviled ham (from a can) on crackers

slice of american cheese rolled around a slice of bologna, with a sweet gherkin in the middle

tomato eaten like an apple, with salt

cream cheese and green olive sandwiches

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• An entire can of smoked baby oysters (Santa used to bring them for my stocking!)
    An entire can of garbanzo beans. Plain.
    Canned beets. Love 'em. Pickled or not.
    Chive cottage cheese with toast and jam (for breakfast)
    An entire head of cauliflower, steamed, topped with a curry/cheddar/mayo blend, and browned.
    Fresh dates stuffed with chunks of havarti or monterey jack
    Egg noodles and a bit of onion tossed into Campbell's Cream of Mushroom, thinned (!) with a tad of sour cream or quark.

My weird danger food: Kraft Singles. Can't eat just one. It's almost obsessive. :wacko: ...and Velveeta does NOT have the same mouth "feel." I think this must be a past-life passion.....(we never had this kind of stuff when I was little....perhaps it's a literal taste of the forbidden!). Or a couple of boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese, with a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

I can eat a whole packet of ham by itself, just standing in front of the fridge. Roll them up and stuff them in my mouth one by one.

I also use a spoon and scoop out all the soft parts of brie.

at about 3 am last Saturday night:

--a bowl of instant noodle soup -- very spicy kimchi version

--half a pint of godiva white chocolate raspberry ice cream, eaten with the occasional handful of microwaved "movie theater butter" popcorn

--samuel smith's oatmeal stout

All this consumed while discussing the relative merits of cooking eggs-and-cheese on english muffins. Laziness won out, although I did make said sandwiches the next morning.

I didn't feel sick at all.

Iron stomached-ly,

Allie

Dear old Dad, weighing 140 lbs. dripping wet and as self-possessed as Fred Astaire on downers, used to take the bone out of Mother's pot roast after dinner was over and shmear the grey marrow on a buttered bit of monkeybread/roll/biscuit, to the utter horror of my sister and myself. Now after the dining room is emptied out from a similar meal and I've finished swabbing down the kitchen, I stand next to the sink in the semi-dark and repeat this bizarre ritual. Only I look much more like Ginger in her later, pineapple-blond* portly years.

*hair color term lifted from this month's Vanity Fair.

• 2 weeks later...
way back when I had metabolism on over ride I used to snack on cream cheese wrapped in pieces of salami

I do that, but that soft herby garlic cheese (boursin?) instead.

Have also been known to dunk squares of dark dove bar into the peanut butter.

Cottage cheese mixed with mayo and ketchup and stuffed into a hot dog bun...

Triscuits and Cheeze Whiz... If there is devilled ham, also good...

Ramen packet noodles cooked up with extra broth, and add egg yolk and lemon squeeze...

I also belong to the camp of ham & cheese slices rolled up, sometimes, if it's avavilable, with bologna instead...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

You're scaring me, Shaw.

Nero: Was this preceded by inhalation of a controlled or illegal substance?

Illegal!

No wait. I mean, controlled.

What was the question?

:unsure:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Nero:  What is "big momma" wine?

Something that I buy at Pepe's across the street from my house.

EDIT: good, I see Fritz has covered my ass, yet again. Carry on.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

I had hot dogs for lunch. Anyway, aren't potatoes and cabbage pretty good protein sources?

cabbage ~22%

potatos ~10%

You would neat to eat a hell of a lot of them :laugh:

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

As a child I used to make peanut butter and spaghetti sauce sandwiches. Not sure I would still like them though... :wacko:

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Usually nothing really exotic -- Kellogg's Special K with Strawberries is often a quick in a hurry before I run out the door to work, no matter what time of the day, or when I don't feel like cooking or lifting a finger.

While at work, despite everyone knows I pick out onions in every dish, I will snack down almost a whole jar of our Gibson cocktail onions. I'm hooked on their pickleness and crunch.

Lastly, and if my relatives remember me, I will recieve an unexpected "southeast" goodies package. Then I will devour the dried alder smoked salmon jerky, from the moment the box is opened, along with buttered Sailor Boy pilot bread crakers until every crumb has vanished. NO one dares to sample a single morsel for fear of loss of a limb and I don't share either!

Dear old Dad, weighing 140 lbs. dripping wet and as self-possessed as Fred Astaire on downers,

Jess: That's some writing.

OK. I buy the packs of Maruchan Noodle Soup mixes when they are 10 for a dollar. Thow out the broth mix packet and eat the noodles raw.

Yum.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com