• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we eat when nobody's looking . . .

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that, of the more than 5 billion inhabitants of Earth, I was the only person eating this dinner tonight. In fact, I bet I'm the only person in the history of the universe to eat this international-eclectic meal:

dinner051103.jpg

- Sliced cabbage kimchi (eaten directly from the jar with a fork)

- Samuel Smith's organically brewed lager

- Pringles (Original)

Disregard the knife and the little bits of cheese -- those are for Momo-the-dog.

By providing details, I don't mean to indicate that my standard for determining whether anybody else has ever eaten this meal requires great specificity. In fact, I'm willing to go with just kimchi, Pringles, and beer as an unprecedented combination. Three simple ingredients; history in the making.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had hot dogs for lunch. Anyway, aren't potatoes and cabbage pretty good protein sources?

Can anybody top my meal, or even come close?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No, can't top it, but last night for dinner we had:

1. A few bites leftover from 2 little cakes: chocolate tiramisu mousse and New York style cheesecake;

2. Chunks of Gruyere and white cheddar cheese with those butterfly crackers (from the Cracker Trio collection);

3. Yukon Gold Onion and Garlic chips, Yukon Gold Salt and Vinegar chips, and Kettle Chips Honey Dijon chips, dipped into Philadelphia Cream Cheese;

4. "Big Momma" Merlot;

5. Philadelphia Cream Cheese White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake bars;

6. Leftover chicken and basil curry with toasted coconut and basmati rice, eaten cold, straight from the Tupperware.

We ate the chips course sitting on the kitchen floor.

I have many, many more such as these.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I just ate some organic peanut butter out of the jar, then I had 3 Strub's pickles. All washed down by the remnants of a bottle of Moscato D'Asti sitting in the fridge from earlier in the evening.

Did I come close?

... I also must admit, I don't feel too hot right now.

You're scaring me, Shaw.

Nero: Was this preceded by inhalation of a controlled or illegal substance?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bottled Kimchi - Are they any good ?

How is this - Flat bread (pita) from Toufayian bakery (sp?) Spread of Tarragon Mustard, and Jar of Chutney picked up from Brooklyn Botanical Garden's gift shop, zapped for 25 sec in the microwave to form a post-midnight snack.

Great thead by the way :raz:

anil

I had an odd late night snack:

Diced summer sausage

1/2 can of deviled ham

1/2 can of cheese soup

a few lines of squeezable sour cream

a couple of teaspoons of fish sauce

all wrapped up in a large sized rice spring roll wrapper.

It was messy as I forgot to 2-ply it for the soup which sort of melted/liquified out of the can on the warm wrapper. :blink:

Bottled Kimchi - Are they any good ?

The refrigerated ones can be. They maintain their crunch, kind of like refrigerated half-sour pickles. The stuff I got at Hanahreum in Little Ferry, NJ, is close in quality to what you'd get as part of the pan chan at a typical NYC Korean restaurant.

Kimchi and mashed potaoes with English bangers.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I hit one of the greasy fried chicken franchises (pardon my redundancy), buy a bucket of chicken and a dozen biscuits. Once home I tear pieces the skin/crust and a little bit of the meat of the chicken and insert it in the still warm biscuits. Thighs work best for this.

The remaining chicken goes in the fridge for quick snacks.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Actually, a favorite:

Toast a pita, stuff with cottage cheese mixed with horseradish.

For lunch or a snack, I'll pull a spinach or mixed vegetable paratha out of the freezer, defrost it and heat it in a skillet and then fold it over some fresh local ricotta.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Today for lunch while watching very old episode of Law & Order:

1. Coupla slices of proscuitto, bits of fat pulled off (but not all and put back with rest of slices for cooking later).

2. Veggie burger

3. After the Fall blueberry juice mixed with Gerolsteiner.

I am feeling a tad sick but I brought to work Kettle Garlic and Onion Black Bean and Brown Rice chips.

Nero: What is "big momma" wine?

wellllllll.... at the moment am alone eating a sandwich of metropolitan french country bread w. mustard aioli, cave aged cheddar, radishes, &smoked sauage. most of which was culled from the salad station...however some of my favorite alone meals include:

Salt & Vinegar potato chips, dill havarti ,hummus & baby carrots

all the skin from a whole roast chicken, the wings, the neck,the tuchkis & one drumstick & macaroni salad

15 oreos & some skim milk

left over white rice w. 2 eggs & a lot of butter microwaved till eggs just cooked w. lots of crystal hot sauce

grahmn crackers in a bowl w. skim milk

cold macaroni & cheese

and my v. favorite leftover sandwich which I am will ing to share but only w. memebers of my family:

Cold chinese roast pork on garlic bread w. lots of duck sauce & a tiny bit of chinese mustard.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

just yesterday i ate

a hardboiled egg dipped in chili garlic sauce (not the sriachca), but a similar one

(I put shiracha on bananas all the time)

then some halava (halawa)

followed by my ghetto quesodilla-some shredded kraft cheese on a torillia nuked for 40 sec

and I wondered why i woke up in apin.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Often times when I get the "munchies" I'll attack the can of Nesquick with a big ol' spoon of peanut butter; or I'll get the toast munchies and go through three or four slices of sourdough with plugra.

Spotted in the kitchen here not long ago: A young lass, washing down flamin' hot cheetos and Gedney Jalapeno Baby Dills with strawberry-flavored Quik milk. A quick glance on my part brought forth a profusion of excuses...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Spotted in the kitchen here not long ago:  A young lass, washing down flamin' hot cheetos and Gedney Jalapeno Baby Dills with strawberry-flavored Quik milk.  A quick glance on my part brought forth a profusion of excuses...

Was that a glance in the mirror? :wink: Man, those hot cheetos are HOT!!!!!

Spotted in the kitchen here not long ago:  A young lass, washing down flamin' hot cheetos and Gedney Jalapeno Baby Dills with strawberry-flavored Quik milk.  A quick glance on my part brought forth a profusion of excuses...

Oh my. That ACTUALLY made my stomach roll over. :wacko:

way back when I had metabolism on over ride I used to snack on cream cheese wrapped in pieces of salami, some how I lost my metabolism on my 33rd birthday and I can't seem to find it again! :huh::shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

flamin' hot cheetos and Gedney Jalapeno Baby Dills

We used to like pickled jalapenos with cheese doritos, best eaten on a sandy river beach leaning against a sun-warmed rubber boat and drinking very cold beer. Something about that hot-cheesy thing, though.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food