• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton go Boom?

=Mark

Just got thru an episode of Good Eats where Alton was grilling pork chops. During the show he proceeded to light a propane grill by turning on the gas and pressing the igniter button with the grill lid closed! He even comments that he preferrs to light the grill with the lid closed because he claimed he could hear the "whoosh" better as the burners ignite.

Isn't this risking at least a minor explosion? The instructions for every gas grill I've ever owned emphasize that the lid should be open when lighting the grill. In fact my current MHP natural gas grill outside my back door has the admonition "OPEN LID BEFORE LIGHTING" stamped right on the lid.

So, is Alton giving possibly dangerous advice, or am I a paranoid grill dweeb?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Alton's gone over the edge.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Alton, his majesty of all things dweebonic, has been over the edge since day one. Has the equation Alton=level-headed been established. I think the guy probably has young corpses under the floor boards in his basement. Anyone who cooks everything with teaspoons, measuring cups and an endless array of precision measuring devices must have some kind of necromantic fantasy life that they never show the world. Maybe he's like Hanibal Lecter on amphetamines. I hear he's quite uncomfortable with the whole fame thing which, I think, backs up this whole character sketch. Something ain't right with Altonius, but that's why I like him so much. He's safe but creepy. It flirts with mania in my book.

I just got through watching this episode on Tivo at 10AM on a Saturday, and it appears that =Mark did the same thing.

So who is truly unbalanced, Alton or those of us who record the show, watch it and then go on egullet to post about it?

BTW, I also thought the same thing about opening the lid.

Bill Russell

every year, you read literally thousands of stories in the papers about people who were blown up or who blew up their deck from this practice. it has reached epidemic proportions. open your lids, people, for the love of all that is holy, OPEN YOUR LIDS.

I hear he's quite uncomfortable with the whole fame thing which, I think, backs up this whole character sketch.

Maybe that's why he dissed Bourdain at the Beardies... :hmmm:

=Mark

I hear he's quite uncomfortable with the whole fame thing which, I think, backs up this whole character sketch.

Maybe that's why he dissed Bourdain at the Beardies... :hmmm:

That, and Bourdain has made himself diss-able to the dweeb set. Alton, being the "genius" food scientist his is, probably doesn't appreciate Tony's swash-buckling, look for the entrails on the hog first, measure nothing, scab-picking schtick. I can see Alton sitting in a board room with Eclair Boy and the big wigs demanding that they move Tony's show to the informercial hours because a 1/3 of his show is bleepable. It's easy to form alliances against those who threaten the status-quo. A and E are probably beggin' the suits for more pastel and jazz bands. Someone has to represent the other side though, and who better than Tony?

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

I can see Alton sitting in a board room with Eclair Boy and the big wigs demanding that they move Tony's show to the informercial hours because a 1/3 of his show is bleepable.  It's easy to form alliances against those who threaten the status-quo.  A and E are probably beggin' the suits for more pastel and jazz bands.  Someone has to represent the other side though, and who better than Tony?

If you are not a Smug Scientific Bastard, I don't see the appeal that Alton Brown's show holds. Unless I am baking, I rarely measure exactly.

I don't really understand why people don't take Bourdain seriously or don't give him any respect because of his bleeped out monolouges or honesty on t.v. Some choose wisely to ignore him since they'd rather watch the Halycon antiseptic likes of Sara Moulton (whom I am sure can actually cook), but give me a broken down scarred chef any day.

I can see Alton sitting in a board room with Eclair Boy and the big wigs demanding that they move Tony's show to the informercial hours because a 1/3 of his show is bleepable. It's easy to form alliances against those who threaten the status-quo.  A and E are probably beggin' the suits for more pastel and jazz bands.  Someone has to represent the other side though, and who better than Tony?

If you are not a Smug Scientific Bastard, I don't see the appeal that Alton Brown's show holds. Unless I am baking, I rarely measure exactly.

I don't really understand why people don't take Bourdain seriously or don't give him any respect because of his bleeped out monolouges or honesty on t.v. Some choose wisely to ignore him since they'd rather watch the Halycon antiseptic likes of Sara Moulton (whom I am sure can actually cook), but give me a broken down scarred chef any day.

In defense of Altonius Dolby....

He makes difficult techniques and esoteric concepts a lot more accessible by using those visual aids--the creep-o-matic oriental kitchen supply Nazi being my fav. It makes it a lot more interesting....

Alton, being the "genius" food scientist his is, probably doesn't appreciate Tony's swash-buckling, look for the entrails on the hog first, measure nothing, scab-picking schtick.  I can see Alton sitting in a board room with Eclair Boy and the big wigs demanding that they move Tony's show to the informercial hours because a 1/3 of his show is bleepable.  It's easy to form alliances against those who threaten the status-quo.  A and E are probably beggin' the suits for more pastel and jazz bands.  Someone has to represent the other side though, and who better than Tony?

profound insight from someone who probably never met alton and most likely doesn't watch his shows.

Alton, being the "genius" food scientist his is, probably doesn't appreciate Tony's swash-buckling, look for the entrails on the hog first, measure nothing, scab-picking schtick.  I can see Alton sitting in a board room with Eclair Boy and the big wigs demanding that they move Tony's show to the informercial hours because a 1/3 of his show is bleepable. It's easy to form alliances against those who threaten the status-quo.  A and E are probably beggin' the suits for more pastel and jazz bands.  Someone has to represent the other side though, and who better than Tony?

profound insight from someone who probably never met alton and most likely doesn't watch his shows.

Tommy, while I appreciate your consistent CWS bashing for what it is, I'm starting to think you're just a tad bit jealous (of what I have no idea). Have I "hacked" my way on to your bad side. If so, may I suggest a nice bath in some hot Crisco, a long walk off a short pier, a tennis match in traffic...Atonius and I are most certainly on speaking terms...And my book is about to blow wide open. What are you going to do about it? :laugh:

Tommy, while I appreciate your consistent CWS bashing for what it is, I'm starting to think you're just a tad bit jealous (of what I have no idea).

:laugh:

perhaps i thought you were needlessly bashing alton. upon review, pehaps you weren't. your irreverent and wacky analogies get in the way of clear writing.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, while I appreciate your consistent CWS bashing for what it is, I'm starting to think you're just a tad bit jealous (of what I have no idea).

perhaps i thought you were needlessly bashing alton. upon review, pehaps you weren't. your irreverant and wacky analogies get in the way of clear writing.

so that means you're not going to buy my book? i may have to give you one for free (with translations of course).

I liked his thumbtack studded styrofoam balls in the Mayo episode... :raz:

=Mark

perhaps i thought you were needlessly bashing alton. upon review, pehaps you weren't. your irreverant and wacky analogies get in the way of clear writing.

so that means you're not going to buy my book? i may have to give you one for free (with translations of course).

I'm a product of too many obscure Dennis Miller rants and Ignatius Reilly's dirty hunting cap. Forgive me for appealing to the intellectually dysfunctionals in the audience. They outnumber the straight guys however, three to one.

The outdoor gas grill that I've been using for several years now, a Char-Broil, included in the instructions to light the grill with the lid closed.

I've a strong suspicion that the difference in instructions may have to do with differences in the venting of the grill itself. In any case, Alton's research staff (and lawyers) should have realized these differences, and recommended checking the instructions for the specific grill make and model.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

I'm a product of too many obscure Dennis Miller rants and Ignatius Reilly's dirty hunting cap.  Forgive me for appealing to the intellectually dysfunctionals in the audience.  They outnumber the straight guys however, three to one.

umm...you do realize that Reilly's gone, and Dennis Miller is a sportscaster now? And the intellectually dysfunctional don't buy as many books as the "enjoy a coherent sentence" crowd, CWS. So, do you like Alton. or not? While working so hard to impress us all with your linguistic olympics, I kinda missed the point?...

I'm a product of too many obscure Dennis Miller rants and Ignatius Reilly's dirty hunting cap.  Forgive me for appealing to the intellectually dysfunctionals in the audience.  They outnumber the straight guys however, three to one.

umm...you do realize that Reilly's gone, and Dennis Miller is a sportscaster now? And the intellectually dysfunctional don't buy as many books as the "enjoy a coherent sentence" crowd, CWS. So, do you like Alton. or not? While working so hard to impress us all with your linguistic olympics, I kinda missed the point?...

I like Alton. If you could read my posts you'd understand that.

And, let's just be clear, I could give a damn about appealing to more people so they buy my prose. Let's just call what I do here "mental masturbation." I'm not going to start posting like one of the more intellectually stimulating pundits around here. If my stuff is over your head or causes you vertigo there's but one solution...But thanks for the press.

I wish everyone would just get it off their chests so we can move along. Was that a coherent sentence? Loosen up, yo.

CWS, I read your replies again..and anyone that reads can see that you changed your tone in the middle..unless you call people names when you LIKE them??

Anyway, I had a wonderful mother's day today, and I suspect yours was hectic and unfulfilling... but the truth is, I read your responses, you seemed to go from offense to defense, and I was trying to figure out how you really felt about Alton Brown..who, incidently, I think adds a great voice to FN, and has a great book.

edited, as it was pointed out that I was a bit rude.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I appreciate your posts.  But isn't it Ignatius T.?

Ignatius Reilly is the totally self-absorbed lard ass (I'm thin) who thinks it's his god given right to pontificate on subjects that mean very little in the real world (I see a correlation to a lot of the posting here) from A Confederacy of Dunces. And Dennis Miller could take the word "the" and turn it into a four paragraph litany about the plight of the Shiites. Lest we forget, I'm not Michael Rhulman.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

Ignatius Reilly is the totally self-absorbed lard ass (I'm thin) who thinks it's his god given right to pontificate on subjects that mean very little in the real world (I see a correlation to a lot of the posting here) from A Confederacy of Dunces. And Dennis Miller could take the word "the" and turn it into a four paragraph litany about the plight of the Shiites. Lest we forget, I'm not Michael Rhulman.

Yes, and as I mentioned, Ignatious will never rise again, John Kennedy Toole is dead. And I guess the talents of Dennis are impressive to you..to me,that's why he's some obscure sportscaster now, but I guess to some his ability to ponificate are worthy of attention.

Ah, it's neither here nor there...I'm just a regular reader, needed some clarification of your opinion on Alton...I suspect its just an exercise: if someone says black, CWS will reply white...that' s ok..it keeps some people interested..it just makes this old lady tired! :cool:

Sorry to be self-absorbed, and pontificate (we'll leave my ass out of it) but it is Ignatius T. Reilly.

Otherwise, :laugh:

Edited by elyse (log)

Sorry to be self-absorbed, and pontificate (we'll leave my ass out of it) but it is Ignatius T. Reilly.

Otherwise, :laugh:

It's Ignatius J.

Edited by Kim WB (log)