• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terraces

Lesley C

Again Lesley, you forgot Café Méliès. The only real terrace European style on the Main. For Brunch, Diner , Supper or just drinks.

See you !

Edited by Rex (log)

Alexandre G.

Look Rex, I'm all for Cafe Melies (I have a somewhat personal connection to the place :smile: ), but a terrace at Meleies? Aren't the tables inside? Don't they just open the windows onto the street?

And eatboy, have you dined at La Maree recently?

Lesley, Melies has a terrasse. I know this because I have sat on it, Rex knows this because he has been the manager at Melies for the last four years. If you still have doubts, drive by later on, I'm quite certain they'll have it set up on such a nice sunny day.

Cheers.

La Bastide have a good corner terrace, very secluded once the foliage as taken root.

A bit outside of the city, Derrière les Fagôts (in Ste.Rose, Laval) also have a nice suburban al fresco set-up...

Michel

Rumours have been flying that La Bastide is for sale. Does anyone know what that's all about? Oops, this sounds like a new thread. :unsure:

On the terrace front, Le Castillon has a great terrace, as does Hotel de la Montagne. Not sure if they serve food on the terrace of de la Montagne? It might just be a bar.

I drive by Bice every day and must say that the terrace seems to be more of a seasonal extension to the main dining room. By that I mean that it is walled in as well as covered by a tent. Not exactly al fresco dining.

Is the communal table outside Toqué! used for food service or is it reserved for other purposes (Drinks before, or after dinner and so on...) ?

Isn't everything for sale, if the price is right ?

Michel

La Bastide! Come on down! You're the next contestant on the price is right!

a-hem...

is the paris beurre terrase worth investigating? i ate there a few weeks ago when it was still quasi cold, and the food was acceptable...

is the jardin nelson nothing but a terrace? and does curly still put the ass in terrass?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

When you eat on the terrace a t Bice you definitely feel you're outside.

The terrace at Paris Beurre feels a bit to me like sitting next to someone's garage. La Petite Ardoise has a nice terrace out back, but again I feel I'm in the back alley. Jardin de Panos has a great terrace out back as well.

Chopper, yes I think Toque!'s terrace is for drinks and coffees.

Oh I forgot, Boris Bistro has an amazing terrace.

What about Crossanterie, on fairmount, west of Parc???  I think?  It's been a while, but definitly a treat.

Isn't it calles 'Figaro' ? I don't know... these charming little places are always a mystery as everyone has a different name for them :blink:

As for Boris Bistro - yes, how could we forget? I really enjoy having lunch there in the summertime.

Ribojoe, have you ever eaten at the Jardin Nelson? I went once a few years ago - and to my embarassment, I took some visiting family. In short: (and I hope I don't offend anyone) we had terrible service, bland food, and the rag that the bus-girl used to clean the table smelled so bad that I fetched some paper towels & soap from the bathroom and cleaned it again myself. It was very unpleasant - and at the end, there was a nice hefty bill to boot (considering what we ordered).

Needless to say, I haven't returned.

I wonder if the place that replaced the long-departed 'Le Bouchon' will end up with a nice patio - after all Le Bouchon had a very nice terrasse :) I don't even know what it's called now, but it's the same location (mont-royal & st-laurent)

yah, grillit, my wife and i agreed that we would not bring our dollars to jardin nelson again. the rag wasnst smelly, but most everything else was... as you say, considering the dollars we gave them.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Grill-it, you're talking about Savannah. Great restaurant, nice terrace.  :smile:

So it's worth the visit? I haven't yet been...

Another nice terasse that just pooped into my mind is right up the street from Savannah. It's called Le Lychée and it has a beautiful patio with comfy couches & cushions and such. I've only been for late night drinks once, so I have absolutely no idea what the menu is like. But the decor is quite something - I think they have nearly 40 Roboscans (fancy programmable stage-lighting units) as well as some pretty pojections. I get the feeling they're trying to ride the fence between restaurant and club...has anyone eaten there?

The new chef at the Lychee Supper Club is Giovanni Apllo former chef/owner of Tentation. I hear they have completely revamped the menu. That place is FUN.

Anyone been since Apollo took over?

And yes, Savannah is certainly worth a visit.

here's one vote for Luigi Totarella's " Restaurant sans nom" . The terrase is hidden in the back and lunching in the summer is like beeing part of the SOPRANOS. The food is very o.k. but the decor wins it all; bodygards, Ferrari, pastas etc.

Luigi doesn`t serve gelatos there but he once went the Dairy Queen across the street to get a sundae for my daughter.

The terrace at Les Chèvres is not openned yet and we do not plan to serve food on it. There will soon be a cocktail and amuse menu specially for that space and we will open it at five everyday. It will be great to push the vegetable concept further; red beet kir, celey martinis, yellow tomato and sea lettuce salt bloody marys etc.

And eatboy, have you dined at La Maree recently?

Lesley C,

February was the last time. The food and service were excellent as always. I will be in Montreal in 2 weeks and plan on eating there again. Why did something happen recently? Has the food or service gone down hill?

Leslie, I would have to add Les Ramparts and Il Cortile as nice terrasse. Not truly a terrasse, but the upscale cafe on the last floor of the Musee de Pointe a Calliere is not bad on nice day overlooking the port.