• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Outdoor Dining

Fat Guy

I have a feeling that, when we emerge on the other side of the forthcoming spate of bad weather, it will be summer. So, continuing in our series of bests (the last one being THE BEST: Fries), let's sort out the best in outdoor dining.

Subcategories: sidewalk cafes, patios/gardens, rooftops, parks, waterfronts, public spaces . . .

Or do you just not like dining outdoors?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's been a while since I had brunch at Miracle Grill, but I've enjoyed it, and it's a nice little outdoor space.

Michael aka "Pan"

I must say that I really enjoyed dining outside at Robertos, even in the shitty weather. I can only imagine what it might be like in good weather.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That's a nice spot because, even though it's a sidewalk cafe, there's very little traffic (car or pedestrian) on Crescent or whatever street that is.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There are couple of places that are nice -

1. HavingCoffee & Muffins on a Sunday, reading the Times, sitting outdoor by the boathouse, near the Duck Pond, Central Park East.

2. Chelsea Piers - I forget what restaurant/brewery is/was - Looking at the Hudson river in the afternoon - Seeing the cruise ships go by .......

3. 3rd floor outdoor deck of Pier 17 at night, looking at the lights of Brooklyn Bridge.

4. Terrace Cafe in the Riverside Park ??

Edited by anil (log)

anil

We love dining al fresco on a warm summer's day or evening.

One of our favorites is Gascogne with its truly charming rear garden. Their $15 3-course prix-fixe lunch/brunch, served Saturdays and Sundays, is a great bargain.

Another place we frequent is I Trulli. The rear garden is attractive and comfortable.

We have eaten many brunches and dinners in Verbena's spacious, pleasant rear garden; however, our last brunch there was so disappointing that we have not been back since.

I Coppi's rear garden is very pretty, and Le Jardin Bistro's is quite nice.

We've been to Uncle Nick's many times and, last year, discovered that they have a garden out back. Sadly, it's not at all attractive.

Ate once in the garden at Grove in the Village. I think the restaurant has changed ownership and name. I presume the garden is still there.

??

You aren't thinking of this, are you?

Terrace In the Sky

400 W 119th St, New York, NY 10027

(212) 666-9490

(212) 666-3471 (fax)

It's much closer to Morningside than Riverside, though.

I have a sort of vague notion that there's some eatery by the Marina, though. Is that right?

Michael aka "Pan"

??

You aren't thinking of this, are you?

Terrace In the Sky

400 W 119th St, New York, NY 10027

(212) 666-9490

(212) 666-3471 (fax)

It's much closer to Morningside than Riverside, though.

I have a sort of vague notion that there's some eatery by the Marina, though. Is that right?

Nope - I think it is seasonally open. Food is not that good - regular fare, but a good outdoor seat and look out on the Hudson River - You could get a hotdog and sit by the bench and get the same views too :smile:

anil

Don't know what the real name is, but it's at the 79th Street Boat Basin in Riverside Park.

Two other places with lovely outdoor spaces are Bryant Park Grill and Barolo (on West Broadway). Unfortunately, both places have mediocre food.

By the way, this is my first post on egullet!

welcome, cleo.

Cafe Centro, in midtown behind the Met Life building, has decent enough food for midday midweek people watching. same for Django on lex and 46th.

i'll second Grove and Miracle Grill, although i don't find the food very moving at either.

the cafe at st bart's in midtown is another decent midweek lunch spot if you're looking for sun.

For me, I don't dine (or eat anything, for that matter) on the street.  In the park or a restaurant garden is okay.  As long as it's not windy.

Me too. Ugh, who wants to get traffic fumes? And have people cursing you for taking up the sidewalk?

And welcome, Cleo! :biggrin:

This is going to be a tough one to answer. I've noticed since the no-indoor-smoking ban was instituted, every restaurant with a bar has rushed to offer outdoor seating. NYC has just become one big outdoor seating cafe.

Am I complaining? That depends if I'm sitting or trying to stroll by.

Cafe DeVille on 3rd Ave & 12th St. just set up outdoor dining. I like the food (French bistro, but unpretentious) & the people-watching, so it gets my vote.

My neighborhood is lousy with outdoor seating. Has been for... 15 years, maybe? Upper west side, that is. I haven't noticed any change here!

QUOTE (elyse @ May 12 2003, 12:21 AM)

Ever notice your butter after sitting out for a while? 

On second thought, DON'T notice! Or wear dark shades.

Traffic Fumes? Noise? What dilettantes!!

Anyone with these complaints ever been to Europe? In Paris they actually "heat the street" with tall kerosene heaters to eat "En Plein Air".

Eating outside rocks!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

Cafe DeVille on 3rd Ave & 12th St. just set up outdoor dining. I like the food (French bistro, but unpretentious) & the people-watching, so it gets my vote.

We had lunch at Cafe DeVille sometime last year and liked the food.

Speaking of French bistros in that neighborhood, I hear that Pitchoune has closed -- as I recall, it had a couple of sidewalk tables -- and that an Italian is going into that space.

Specks of soot combined with anything else found on the street all over the food, the smell of dog and horse shit and piss and exhaust. Those might be the things I object to.

I like al fresco. Had our first outdoor meal last weekend at a luncheonette in Long Branch. Got to enjoy the entertainment of folks coming and going from Jim's Bait & Tackle across the street. :biggrin:

I know this isn't the city, my last outdoor meal there was at Cafe Sorrento on Mulberry last October.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We had lunch at Cafe DeVille sometime last year and liked the food.

Speaking of French bistros in that neighborhood, I hear that Pitchoune has closed -- as I recall, it had a couple of sidewalk tables -- and that an Italian is going into that space.

DeVille has a kick-ass cheese plate.

Ah, too bad about Pitchoune. It will be missed. But I look forward to the new arrival -- thanks for the update, rozrapp!

I actually was on a garden kick a while back, and here are some of my favorite outdoor spots:

The Independent: food can be good, and I like the industrial Tribeca space. Bring on the fumes!

Odeon: Actually prefer outdoors to the rather gloomy indoor space, particularly for lunch.

79th St. Boat Basin: Not under the overpass, though, but in the actual terrace area.

Barolo: mediocre food, but quality people watching. SNL did their wrap parties there.

Rialto (Elizabeth St.): Haven't been in years, but liked the covered garden space.

Le Jardin (Spring/Kenmare): Lovely bistro food, lovely garden (with real grape vines!)

Lunettes et Chocolat: They had a lovely garden cafe last summer with crepes etc. Excellent food.

Bistrot Margot: Interesting bistro menu, excellent garden.

Pepe Giallo (10th Ave): Very nice outdoor garden, for 10th Ave, also very good (and cheap) food.

Pierrot Bistro: Excellent outdoor space, fun eclectic food.

Also enjoyed drinks/snacks at the Parkview at the Boathouse, but didn't eat there. Have had lunch on Mulberry St. for one of the prix fixes, really the only way to do Little Italy (other than moving into DiPalo's and sampling everything, of course).

Hmm. Now I have a garden hankering....