• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Baking Pans (Cake, Sheet, Muffin)

Marlene

"Anchor-Hocking" is also so much fun to say. I highly recommend the Magic Line pans that slkinsey linked to. I have no idea whether Magic Line makes pie pans--we use Pyrex.

I love Magic Line, particularly their removable-bottom cake pans, which I use for all rounds cakes, not just cheesecakes.

Magic Line (manufactured by Parrish's Cake Decorating Supplies) does indeed make heavy-gauge aluminum pie pans, of all sizes. I prefer glass 9" pie pans for the reasons I and others have cited, but I did buy 12 of the Magic Line 4" aluminum pie pans, for individual pot pies and dessert pies. These I got at Kitchen Etc., which also carries a range of sizes in these pans; see Kitchen Etc. .

Magic Line/Parrish's is sold in lots of stores such as Kitchen Etc. and Sur La Table, but to see the entire range of Parrish's baking products I had to send off for the catalog direct from Parrish's; see Parrish's/Magic Line .

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Thanks for all the info. There is an Anchor-Hocking outlet near where my family lives so I may wait to see what's available there before I buy anything online. It also looks like getting multiples of the different sizes would be best, too.

Another question I have is regarding an Angel Food cake pan. This is similar to a pan that my mom has always had. It also comes as a 7" pan. So now I'd like to know what is the "normal" size called for when making Angel Food cakes? 10" or 7"?

Also, there are many non-stick Angel Food pans available but I would think that would be the last thing you'd want with Angel Food so as it bakes it uses the sides to gain height. Am I right in thinking that non-stick is not advisable when baking an Angel Food cake? Or does it just not matter?

Thanks for all your opinions!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Another question I have is regarding an Angel Food cake pan.  This is similar to a pan that my mom has always had.  It also comes as a 7" pan.  So now I'd like to know what is the "normal" size called for when making Angel Food cakes?  10" or 7"? 

Also, there are many non-stick Angel Food pans available but I would think that would be the last thing you'd want with Angel Food so as it bakes it uses the sides to gain height.  Am I right in thinking that non-stick is not advisable when baking an Angel Food cake?  Or does it just not matter?

Thanks for all your opinions!

Non-stick: bad

10": standard

• 1 year later...

HI........

Looking at Kerekes for commercial muffin pans.

Which pan would be the best to purchase for baking large cupcakes?

What would be the normal cupsize for a large cupcake/muffin?

http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=32&pg=1

AND.................where to purchase large cupcake liners/papers?

AND..............any other company that sells commercial style cupcake/muffin pans?

TIA, any help is appreciated!

i would tend to think you could get them at acemart as well...and probably the liners either at the webite you provided the link for or perhaps acemart as well...any restaurant supply place is likely to carry them...not just acemart..im not sure where you live so you might want to try your local yellow pages for restaurant supplies

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

You can get the commercial ones that make 24 at

Kerekes

but they are pretty pricey.

I have the 12 portion ones and the 6 portion ones and simply put them on a sheet pan for baking.

Kitchen Krafts has the 6 portion ones for less than 10 dollars each, do the math.

Kitchen Krafts

I have 6 of these and they are heavy and the muffins bake evenly in them.

The 12 cup ones are Chicago metallic and I have had them for many years - they are available at a lot of vendors.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My muffin pans are made by Chicago Metallic and I'm very pleased with them. I wound up buying them retail (Marshall Fields) and the price was lower then what Kerkes has (I paid about $24.00). I get my muffin liners from Edward Don Company. Theres several suppliers to buy liners from......but you are wise to keep availability in mind.

I have a twelve cup tin. It pays to look around, I found it at a local restaurant supply house selling off what seemed to be cast aways maybe from someone's out of business sale. Anyway, it is a wonderful item and I think I paid something like $ 2.00 for it :wub:

At my day job we use the heavy-duty muffin pans from American Pan Co. They are 12 per pan, with a secondary depression around the cup to allow for jumbo muffins. We use a #6 scoop, and our muffins average 250g unbaked weight (over half a pound), which is big by any standard.

It's their stock # 03027, on this page.

I'm sure they'd be pricey to order, but they'll last you a lifetime of hard use. Ours are ten years old, at this point, and are still straight and square in each direction. And boy, do they take a beating!

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

What do you consider a large cupcake size. I have pans that each cupcake or muffin is about 4 ounces and others tha some people call Texas size that are about 6 ounces. Which size are you looking for?

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I use the foil (Reynolds) extra large baking cups. No muffin pans needed; just place 'em on a sheet pan and fill. The best part is there are no pans to wash... unless you overfill 'em, that is. :sad:

Di

Pastrymama-

That's what I am stuck on............. I have regular cupcake pans.

I would like to bake larger cupcakes.

If you go onto Kereke's site, they have several sizes for Jumbo or Oversized pans.

For ex:

3 3/16 diameter x 1 1/4 deep

3 3/8 x 1 1/2

3 1/4 x 1 1/4

4 1/4 x 1 1/2

And to find the cupcake papers to fit (?)

I am assuming the deeper the better, I don't want a shallow cupcake.

And thank you everyone for your help. I ditto Chicago Metallic, very sturdy.

chromedome- thanks for that site.

the pans I have that I consider a regular cupcake size measure about 2 3/4" x1 1/4" they hold about 4 ounces. The jumbo's that I have are the 3 3/8"x1 1/2" and hold about 6 ounces. I also have the pan that measures 41/4x 1 1/2 it makes a small size cake shape I use it for individual birthday cakes. I think what you are looking for is the 3 3/8 x1/2. The Sugarcraft.com site has papers that will fit these they are 50 pc. $1.69.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

• 1 year later...

I have good quality (magic line) aluminum bake ware and I was wondering if it is broiler safe? I know half-sheet pans are broiler safe, but they are much thicker than a cake pan. Specifically, I am using a 9x13 inch pan. Thanks.

*Edit*

I also have a 9x13 disposable aluminum pan. Would that be better to use? Thanks again.

Edited by Lumas (log)

They are safe to use but may never come clean if you bake grease on them like that at such a high heat. I'm assuming you are thinking to broil meat or fish of some kind.

A low sided pan is best. I would even cover it with foil but then that intensifies the heat considerably too.

A broiler issue I have run into is that my broiler is in the top of the big part of the oven, instead of down under the bottom where you have to kneel on the floor and practically stand on your head to see what's going on in there. Well, when we broil fish it spatters and then when you bake cake you can smell the fish and while none of it dripped into the cake (probably) it's still scary to be smelling salmon when you're baking somebody's wedding cake.

Now if one of my brides read this she'll freak out. We use the black skillet now--we don't use the broiler anymore. :biggrin:

• 7 months later...

checked the archives and it seems that the general consensus is non stick for muffins, aluminum for pans--and I totally agree about aluminum--I have restaurant half sheets that i love and use almost daIly for a variety of things, and ancient round cake pans from WTGrant--does anyone remember this store? It was a 5&10.

My mom gave me a cuisinart muffin pan a few years ago for Christmas and it is such total crap that it puts me in a bad mood to use it--I just spent 15 minutes scraping some double corn muffins out of the pans--they are a botch--not a single one has a clean bottom to it.

I originally was greasing them with crisco--then tried pam which worked a litttle better for a while, but now isn't working either.

And the worst is cleaning it--I have to soak it for a couple of days and then scour really carefully each little dratted cup.

So anyway--it's new pans for me--what non stick are the best? And price is important--I do not shop in Williams-Sonoma or any pricey kitchen store--I want value plus quality, please!

thanks--Zoe

• 9 months later...

The time has come to replace my baking sheets. I'm looking for recommendations for type/brand.

If it makes any difference, I seldom make cookies, but use the sheets for baking fish, chicken, fries, etc. Also, would it be prudent to have a couple unrimmed sheets? If so, any brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The Wright Table

Becoming a better home cook, one meal at a time.

• 1 month later...

I've been getting some inspiration online and have decided I need to bake some cupcakes this weekend. I really want to make minis, but didn't have a mini muffin pan. So after work today I hit a couple of my favourite cook shops. At the first stop, the only ones they had were super cheap light-weight no-name things. Pass. So off to the second store.

They had three options. Chicago Metallic, DoughMakers, and Cuisinart. I have a few pieces of each of these lines and am happy with the results from all of them. My dilemma, however, is that no two were alike.

The Chicago Metallic appears to be the same diameter as a standard muffin, but much shallower. The Cuisinart is about the same size as a Two-Bite Brownie (everyone know those?), and the DoughMakers is about twice that size. Yet they were all labelled "Mini".

From what I've seen, all of the standard tins are the same size, and the jumbos look the same too. Why the confusion with minis?

What size do you guys consider to be mini?

(for anyone curious, I bought both the Cuisinart and the DoughMakers, so I'd have variety)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?