• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

epazote

guajolote

Just bought some epazote and boy does this stuff stink. I'm going to add it to some beans. How would you describe the taste? Is it used for anything else besides beans? Has anyone ever picked it wild, I think it grows all over the US?

I only have access to it dried. It has a creosote kind of taste. It actually works well in certain contexts. Or so I'm told because I never eat the bean dishes I use it in at all lest I become a human dirigible.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It tastes like epazote...

Maybe camphor and savory? I dunno, it's hard to describe.

Definitely close to cilantro on the 'acquired taste list', though.

I don't think it tastes anywhere near as strong as it smells. For most, it works better as an herb for cooking as opposed to chopping fresh and garnishing with, though it can be used in both ways.

Usually used in bean dishes (for it's alleged flatulence-reducing properties), especially those containing black beans.

It is also used as a seasoning in many of the fillings for the various corn antojitos - - and less frequently in some moles, stews, and other dishes.

Is what you have fresh or dried?

The dried herb is really no comparison to some picked right off the plant.

edit: double neg

Edited by sladeums (log)

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Nice page, David.

Pretty much sums it up.

guajolote, if you're interested get yourself seeds and plant some...this stuff grows like a mother.

I would strongly encourage potting it (a large pot) - if you let it out loose it'll take over your friggin' yard.

Last year my wife planted some for me in a very large pot along w/ some Siam basil and chives - - the epazote quickly showed the rest of the plants who was boss!

So my wife takes it out of the pot and transplants it to the outside of her flower bed...the plant did well to show it's predominance there and was also the first thing out of the ground this spring.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Of course, I should have known to look for epazote on the slow cooker thread :huh:

I was buying dried in the store, but at checkout the guy told me they had fresh - he even sent someone to get it for me. I really don't smell the petrol, to me it smells like industrial compost. I added some to my beans and to my mole verde, turned out very nice.

David, as usual your site is very informative.

Thanks everybody

I grew epazote for the first time last year. It grew to be about 4 feet tall. When the first frost threatened, we cut it down and hung it in the garage to dry. Just a few days ago I stripped the stems of leaves and put them in a jar. It really smells horrible. I can't emphasize this enough. But after it cooks, it doesn't smell the same. I started using it in my Pork and Beans - Pork Shoulder and black beans, which I cook in my pressure cooker. I used the fresh epazote all last summer, and found no difference between fresh and dried. I add it to the dish towards the end. One of the plants from last year has some new green sprouts coming up. I doubt it will take over our yard, we can't even get mint to do that.