• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How often do you eat Japanese food?

Yeah, yeah I know I just stole the thread idea from Suvir and the Indian board, but I liked it.

So.....................how often do you eat Japanese food?

In your house?

In a restaurant?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

About once a week, always in a restaurant - As a poor student bazzillion years ago I ate ramen noodle package nearly every other day. In NYC, it is mostly noodle soups, or sashimi.

anil

Yeah, yeah I know I just stole the thread idea from Suvir and the Indian board, but I liked it.

So.....................how often do you eat Japanese food?

In your house?

In a restaurant?

I go from time to time for noodles (tempura soba, for example) to a local place in my neighborhood, the East Village of Manhattan, which is chock-full of Japanese places (mostly specializing in sushi and sashimi, which I seldom eat). I'd say I have Japanese food once every 3 weeks or so.

I seldom cook but my father used to make nice Japanese broiled food (fish, eggplant slices, etc. - sorry I can't give you Japanese names for the dishes, but I hung out with a Japanese girl one summer who said my father's Japanese food tasted just like it did at home, for whatever that's worth [if it was just being polite, it was a good act :biggrin: ]).

Michael aka "Pan"

I eat Japanese food like, every other day....

If you count the snacks I munch on and the things in my fridge.

I go out to eat sushi/sashimi at least once a week. I'm in LA, so it's a total sushi town.

About once a week. All cooked at home since I don't think there is a Japanese restaurant where I live. There's one place with Tokyo in it's name, but it's more Chinese with a little teppanyaki-style cooking for show.

When I was working at the office I had Japanese food probably 2 or 3 times a week for lunch at nearby restaurants. Mostly domburis, ramen, teriyaki and curry, but also sushi for a treat. Now that my budget has shrunk (and one of the better places has closed), I do Japanese 4 or 5 times a month. Unless you're counting snacks, then it's every day - Japanese snacks ROCK!

I don't cook much Japanese food at home, though I used to make okonomiyaki quite often. Cooking Asian food in general has just never come naturally to me.

If I don't have something (anything) Japanese at least once every three days, I start going batty. Senbei, Melty Kiss, a bowl of soba - anything will do. And when I cook non-Japanese meals, I often find myself preparing a pot of Japanese rice on the side.

At home usually twice a week, in a restaurant only once a month or so. Nothing too exciting or new, but the old standards I remember from childhood. Shioyaki style fish, misoshiru, curry rice, nikkujagga, yakisoba, somen, ramen, udon, onigiri, maki, oyakudon etc. I didn't spend enough time in the kitchen with my grandmother or mother, but my mom is moving into my area soon, so I hope to learn as much from her as possible. I often make gohan with non-Japanese meals. I have green tea and/or mugicha almost every day. I always have a supply of Japanese snacks, condiments, sembei, tsukemono and furikake. Unfortunately my husband has taken to experimenting with furikake on everything from popcorn to pizza and eggs. :wacko:

I guess it doesn't really count since i live in Japan and have but little choice to eat it every day, either for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack.

We eat it out much less often maybe 1 to 2 times a month.

In restaurants, almost never. Maybe once, twice a month? Sushi in a restaurant, maybe once a year.

But that's probably because we eat it at home so much. Two, three times a week for dinner, plus whatever leftovers the boy brings home from his job. I usually make a trip to Chinatown or Koreatown once a week to pick up Japanese ingredients - much cheaper than any J supermarkets. At my office, too, there's usually someone's omiyage (souvenirs) lying around - senbei, candies, mochi.

Yesterday I arrived home from a week in Central America, not realizing how much I missed Japanese food until I caught the scent of curry rice wafting down the hall of my building. A welcome surprise after many meals of rice and beans. Now I'm ready for some agedashi tofu.

• 2 months later...

As any who follows the dinner thread can tell we have really been on a Japanese food eating spree.

Pretty much 3 times a day now. You can figure out the Yamaguchi finances by the way we eat, the poorer we are the more Japanese food (because it is the cheapest) :biggrin:

I have actually been enjoying it, I had been off Jaapnese food for a while :blink: