• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banaspati/Vanaspati

skchai

I've recently become interested in greasy things and my interest was piqued when I got ahold of the Dalda cookbook published by Lever Brothers Pakistan, where every other recipe calls for Dalda banaspati. Being that banaspati seems to refer to ghee-flavored hydrogenated vegetable shortening, one would expect that it would be a relatively recent invention and thus have to an English name rather than "banaspati". Can anyone tell me when and how it was invented, as well the origin/meaning of the name? Thank you . . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

From the Hindustan Lever Website, Indian manufacturers of Dalda http://www.hll.com/HLL_Flash/knowus/oilsfa...fats_dalda.html

" Dalda - for healthy cooking

Launched in 1937, Dalda Vanaspati has been the Indian housewife's trusted companion for tasty, healthy cooking. Considered as an embodiment of mother's love, Dalda has always been associated with purity, quality and trustworthiness.

In 2000, Hindustan Lever launched Dalda Activ, a healthier version of Vanaspati, primarily because it contains twice the amount of healthy fat (poly unsaturated fats) and also actively reduces the unhealthy fat (saturated and trans fat). As a result, food cooked in Dalda Activ does not congeal on cooking and, hence, no layer of fat is formed.

The product was developed through the process of interesterification, a fat modification procedure, which changes the melting and crystallisation properties of the fat. The process has been perfected for Indian conditions at Hindustan Lever's Foods Innovation Centre.

In 2001, Hindustan Lever launched Dalda Classic, which with its butter aroma is targeted at consumers in the South. "

As to Vanaspati, all I could learn was that it means 'vegetable ghee'. Regular Ghee or Pure Ghee or Desi Ghee as it is sometimes called in India is clarified butter and hence an aminal product. So my guess is when the Dalda folks started selling they used vanaspati as a marketing ploy to appeal to the purist hindus. Dalda Vanaspati also became very popular in India as it resembled real or desi ghee in many ways, was inexpensive in comparison, could sustain higher tempratures for longer duration and did not get rancid as quickly as desi ghee.

But in later years, I think in the early 80s it lost its popularity because of the abundace of unhealthy fats it contained. But you can see how the manufacturers have addressed that.

Edited by BBhasin (log)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

From the Hindustan Lever Website, Indian manufacturers of Dalda

Dalda - for healthy cooking

Launched in 1937, Dalda Vanaspati has been the Indian housewife's trusted companion for tasty, healthy cooking. Considered as an embodiment of mother's love, Dalda has always been associated with purity, quality and trustworthiness.

In 2000, Hindustan Lever launched Dalda Activ, a healthier version of Vanaspati, primarily because it contains twice the amount of healthy fat (poly unsaturated fats) and also actively reduces the unhealthy fat (saturated and trans fat). As a result, food cooked in Dalda Activ does not congeal on cooking and, hence, no layer of fat is formed.

The product was developed through the process of interesterification, a fat modification procedure, which changes the melting and crystallisation properties of the fat. The process has been perfected for Indian conditions at Hindustan Lever's Foods Innovation Centre.

In 2001, Hindustan Lever launched Dalda Classic, which with its butter aroma is targeted at consumers in the South.

As to Vanaspati, all I could learn was that it means 'vegetable ghee'. Regular Ghee or Pure Ghee or Desi Ghee as it is sometimes called in India is clarified butter and hence an aminal product. So my guess is when the Dalda folks started selling they used vanaspati as a marketing ploy to appeal to the purist hindus. Dalda Vanaspati also became very popular in India as it resembled real or desi ghee in many ways, was inexpensive in comparison, could sustain higher tempratures for longer duration and did not get rancid as quickly as desi ghee.

But in later years, I think in the early 80s it lost its popularity because of the abundace of unhealthy fats it contained. But you can see how the manufacturers have addressed that.

Thank you! :smile:

skchai, have you cooked from the Dalda Cookbook?

Did you use Dalda?

What did you think?

What recipe did  you try? 

What do you think of Dalda?

Suvir,

Unfortunately, Dalda products are not even available in my area (Hawai`i). I ordered the cookbook from an e-retailer. As for the recipes, I have tried a few, using either Crisco or butter or some combination thereof in place of vanaspati. Most of the dishes seem to be fairly standard Moghul cuisine (except of course for the use of vanaspati instead of desi ghee). I found some of the halva recipes interesting - for instance a marrow halva. Their

paratha recipes turned out reasonably well for me. The curries and pullaos used too much vanaspati / ghee for my taste but perhaps it is there for reasons of tradition rather than commerce.

There is a sequel to the Dalda cookbook (somehow smaller in dimensions) that contains recipes for Middle Eastern, Indonesian, and Thai (even in Pakistan!) dishes.

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I am actually glad Dalda is not available in Hawaii.. It is not all that.... But maybe I am being very extreme. You should have the option to make your own decision. I hope soon you can find it in Hawaii and then decide if you would want it in your pantry or not.

As must be clearly and amply evident, I am no fan of Dalda. :sad:

I am sure the recipe book must be great to have. I would be confident myself if I were cooking with it and simply using Canola, ghee or even butter in place of Dalda. IN fact, you may really have a much better end product. So, do not let the lack of availability of Dalda hamper your forays into the world of Indian cooking. You seem already to be someone with great experience. Amazing that you can cook parathas, believe me when I tell you that not many Indians either know or make the effort to prepare these in their homes today. Kudos to you. :smile:

Did you get the sequel cookbook yet? Have you cooked with it? What do you think?

If ever you need any particular recipe or have any specific question, you should feel free to post here, we have a great set of eGulleteers that make this forum one where people can find quick and reliable information related to Indian cookery.

Thanks for your posts in the Indian forum. A formal (late) welcome to eGullet and to the Indian forum.

How difficult do you find it to purchase Indian ingredients in Hawaii? What kind of sources are available to you? How long have you cooked Indian food?

Suvir,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and your greetings. I have already learned a great deal by participating in these forums and am sure I will learn much more in the future. My answers are interspersed with your comments/questions:

I am actually glad Dalda is not available in Hawaii.. It is not all that.... But maybe I am being very extreme. You should have the option to make your own decision. I hope soon you can find it in Hawaii and then decide if you would want it in your pantry or not.

As must be clearly and amply evident, I am no fan of Dalda.

I am sure the recipe book must be great to have. I would be confident myself if I were cooking with it and simply using Canola, ghee or even butter in place of Dalda. IN fact, you may really have a much better end product. So, do not let the lack of availability of Dalda hamper your forays into the world of Indian cooking. 

Having never tried Dalda products, I was wondering what you found deficient about them. Is it (1) their lack of overall quality, (2) opposition in principle to the use of ghee substitutes, (3) swadeshi opposition to using "Indian" products made by foreign-owned Unilever, or (4) something else?

You seem already to be someone with great experience. Amazing that you can cook parathas, believe me when I tell you that not many Indians either know or make the effort to prepare these in their homes today. Kudos to you.

Thanks for saying that - I'm not sure I deserve any kudos! I simply enjoy cooking things I have never tried before and happen to love Indian food.

Did you get the sequel cookbook yet? Have you cooked with it? What do you think?

Yes, I did get the sequel. There are in general a lot more foreign recipes in the second volume than in the first. I have tried to cook a few of the dishes, including the Indonesian / Malaysian rendang (dry coconut milk curry) - seems to my nonexpert judgement that the foreign recipes are fairly authentic, though rendang is more Malaysian style (dry Indian-style spices) rather than Javanese (wet spices such as lemon grass, galingale, etc).

If ever you need any particular recipe or have any specific question, you should feel free to post here, we have a great set of eGulleteers that make this forum one where people can find quick and reliable information related to Indian cookery.

Thanks for your posts in the Indian forum. A formal (late) welcome to eGullet and to the Indian forum.

Thanks, and a million more thanks in advance to you and all the members of this August forum.

How difficult do you find it to purchase Indian ingredients in Hawaii? What kind of sources are available to you? How long have you cooked Indian food?

Actually it is quite difficult to find Indian ingredients in Hawaii. Despite being one of the most culturally diverse places on earth, one thing we lack is a great deal of Indian culture! Our best North Indian restaurants (IMHO) are run by a Fijian NRI and our best South Indian restaurant (again IMHO) is run by a Malaysian NRI, so you get the idea.

There is no specialty Indian grocery store in the entire state, as far as I know! The only options we have for ingredients are to try (1) natural food shops, which carry some Indian ingredients, (2) pan-Asian supermarkets, such as 99 Ranch Market, or (3) order off the web. A Tamil friend of mine actually stocks up on MTR products when he visits his sister in Michigan because there is so much more available there than here!

So, all in all, a pretty sad situation, but we hope things will get better soon.

I have cooked Indian food for nearly 20 years (since I was a college student -so this dates me)! My first exposure was through Time-Life's Foods of India book, Madhur Jaffrey, Julie Sahni, etc. I spent much of that time in Northern California, so the access to ingredients problem was hardly as acute. After returning to Hawaii (where I was raised), I've tried to keep things up with some difficulty. The web has been a real godsend in that regard - providing me with access to recipes, retailers, and of course communities like this one, as well as a steady diet of cricket, Bollywood, etc. as a side-effect.

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

(2) opposition in principle to the use of ghee substitutes

In our kitchen, I remember folks saying that Dalda just did not bring out the essense of the cooking - If oil was needed for some cooking, it would be locally available oil.

anil

Suvir,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and your greetings.  I have already learned a great deal by participating in these forums and am sure I will learn much more in the future.  My answers are interspersed with your comments/questions:

As must be clearly and amply evident, I am no fan of Dalda.

I am sure the recipe book must be great to have. I would be confident myself if I were cooking with it and simply using Canola, ghee or even butter in place of Dalda. IN fact, you may really have a much better end product. So, do not let the lack of availability of Dalda hamper your forays into the world of Indian cooking. 

Having never tried Dalda products, I was wondering what you found deficient about them. Is it (1) their lack of overall quality, (2) opposition in principle to the use of ghee substitutes, (3) swadeshi opposition to using "Indian" products made by foreign-owned Unilever, or (4) something else?

Skchai, we learn from each other. Thanks for your posts. Dalda is a key player in the Indian pantry. I am grateful to you for having started this thread. :smile:

Firstly, Dalda is bad for the body. That is something I am always acutely attentive about in my cooking. Indian food is deeply imbedded in the ayurvedic traditions and this makes most Indian cookery largely healthful and good for mind, body and soul if cooked in true sincerity to the countries ancient traditions.

I have done so many things that go against the Swadeshi movement, that I hardly feel I should worry about Dalda and multinationals from outside of India. In fact, I have many things that I love dearly, that I would have to sadly give up if I were that fanatic about all things Indian.

And to some extent, I do enjoy the flavor that ghee lends to dishes. And actually, if used with care, sesame, peanut and mustard oil can elevate tastes in dishes to levels one would never reach using Dalda.

I shall add to this thread as I think of more reasons. But these are what come to mind immediately.

I shall address some of the other points you raise after eating dinner. It is wonderful to have be a part of this community. And again, thanks for making a grand effort in continuing your passion for foods from India even as you find it challenging to find ingredients locally. You shall inspire many and you have given me comfort in knowing that there are those that will go through great effort to create what they enjoy.