• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does Anyone in Chicago Actually Eat

Hopleaf

but he always wins!!

:rolleyes:

How I wish that were true.

It is true when it comes to pizza thickness - right?? :laugh:

yeah, you're right. You win. (see, people, I mean, do you see!?!?) :biggrin:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Does Carmine's in Evanston still exist? Is there a difference between "deep dish" and "stuffed". I seem to remember liking the latter, but its been 20 years and a million brain cells. I think I fit Maggie's stereotype of the typical consumer of this dish in my college days. And its not just good at sopping up beer, it also kills the munchees! :biggrin:

As for the difference between pizza and 'za, here's an east coasters observation of midwestern dialect. Whenever possible cut off the first portion of a word, as in:

Pizza = 'za

Spaghetti = 'ghetti

Soda = pop

Coming to Chicago at the end of the month, where should I eat after the Cubs game on Saturday May 31?

Prefer the super thin-super crisp variety but will crave deep dish (only sausage, however). Lou's, Uno's and Ricobene's are good. I think it is because of the whole crushed tomatoes on the top rather than the sauce. I think stuffed pizza has two layers of crust and the cheese and toppings are between the two crust layers and there is tomato sauce on top.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Does Carmine's in Evanston still exist?

Do you mean Carmen's? There's one in Evanston and one in Rogers Park across from Loyola. They have good, but inconsistent, pizza.

I have never heard of two layers of dough. Usually a stuffed pizza has a crust, usually with some cornmeal in it, shaped into a "pie shape", then the toppings, then the cheese, with crushed tomatoes on top.

As for the difference between pizza and 'za, here's an east coasters observation of midwestern dialect. Whenever possible cut off the first portion of a word, as in:

Pizza = 'za

Spaghetti = 'ghetti

Soda = pop

I r'zent dat acuzashyun. Yer genralizin' again. We don' talk like dat, we juss type like dat. So, go o'er by d'ere and get yerself some good 'za.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Do you mean Carmen's? There's one in Evanston and one in Rogers Park across from Loyola. They have good, but inconsistent, pizza.

I have never heard of two layers of dough. Usually a stuffed pizza has a crust, usually with some cornmeal in it, shaped into a "pie shape", then the toppings, then the cheese, with crushed tomatoes on top.

Yes, Carmen's. Carmine's is that place in NYC with the huge portions, my bad. Sounds like you've nailed what I was thinking as stuffed pizza.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I think deep dish pizza is enjoyed by the young, male and drunk.  All that grease and starch is good at mopping up beer...

Ahhh, perhaps this explains my obsession with Uno's pizza when I was in college (not in Chicago however). Last time I had it though, it seemed to have lost much of its allure...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I confess I instantly fell in love with Chicago deep-dish pizza with my first taste over 20 years ago. That blessed event occurred in a joint that remained my hands-down favorite until a few years ago, Gino's on Rush Street (it's not affiliated with Gino's East, or at least has not been for many years if it ever was). Sadly, in the last four or five years, each visit was worse than the last, and now I generally go to Pizzeria Uno or Due instead. Incidentally, let no one think that the pizza served in the Pizzeria Uno chain is the same is what is served in Chicago....the crust is totally different, making it a different--and totally forgettable--pizza altogether.

As for stuffed pizza, never cared for it much (with one shining exception), although in theory that's just the sort of thing I should LOVE. The exception is Edwardo's stuffed pesto pizza. I hope they still make--it's been years since I've been to an Edwardo's, but it was the only thing I ever tried there that I thought was good. I've always found Giordano's disgusting....

I'm taking a trip to Chicago next week.....looks like I'll have to try Lous Malnato's!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I regularly take all out of town guests out for deep dish pizza. They seem to expect it, and it's my chance to eat it several times a year. Uno's will always have a special place in my heart. Gino's lost something in the move. Lou Malnotti makes a great deep dish. During my ten years of exile in Denver, 1-800-LOU TO GO was a life safer. I rarely eat deep dish now that I live in Chicago again, and I rarely ate it when I lived here before. But for some reason I really missed the stuff while I lived out of state.

My first post after hearing about this site from a net friend last week. I'm thrilled beyond belief to have found you guys. Fellow Chicagoans discussing pizza, food, beer and even Hopleaf! (Mmmm, Chimay)

• 2 months later...

Awbrig, THANK YOU so very much for posting about Lou Manati's. I *finally* made it to the one on Wells earlier this week. I have to admit that the thought of putting butter in pizza crust sounded quite crazy to me! It was so tastey! The consistancy was suprizing to me too, a yummy butter hint in each taste! I think that my sister in law and husband got sick of me sayin' "Are you going to finish your crust?" Spalding, you'll get nothing and like it!! :raz:

Thanks again!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

Awbrig,  THANK YOU so very much for posting about Lou Manati's.  I *finally* made it to the one on Wells earlier this week.  I have to admit that the thought of putting butter in pizza crust sounded quite crazy to me!  It was so tastey!  The consistancy was suprizing to me too, a yummy butter hint in each taste!  I think that my sister in law and husband got sick of me sayin' "Are you going to finish your crust?"  Spalding, you'll get nothing and like it!!  :raz:

Thanks again!

Welcome, Chzhead!

Yum. Butter in the crust. Yum.

Er, beware! If you share one of these with a few of us Heartland Ladies, there is no way! we're sharing the crust.

Let's hear more from you.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggiethecat, you are too fast! I'm originally from Milwaukee but transplanted to Austin. We're in Michigan City to visit family. I dragged 2 people into the city with me, little did they know what was in store for them!! I've got another question for you, have you tried any informal cooking classes in town? If so, is it worth it?? Or have you heard of any that are good? I think that we'll be up here again next year.

Lou's is now at the top of the list for me as far as deep dish!!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

I don't know a single native Chicagoan (suburbs included on this one) that likes deep dish pizza.

You do now, I love Lou's but really don't like many others. Lou's crust is buttery, crispy and has a hint of cornmeal. The sauce is chunky and tart. Sausage covers the whole pie. Again, I love it.

On a side note, sausage is only popular as a pizza topping in the near Chicago regional area. Everywhere else in the US, pepperoni is the #1 topping.

I do not like most of the other deep dish pizza joints though.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"