• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does Anyone in Chicago Actually Eat

Hopleaf

I don't know a single native Chicagoan (suburbs included on this one) that likes deep dish pizza. Anyone I've ever ordered 'za with, eaten 'za with or prepared 'za with has always preferred thin crust...the thinner and crunchier the crust the better.

Where did this deep dish phenomenon start? the dreaded Gino's East? At any rate, it gives pizza eaters in other cities the wrong impression. "Chicago-style" becomes "quasi-Chicago-style." People in, say, Denver are wading through pound after pound of stringy melted mozzarella and bitter, unseasoned marinara with glints of joy in their eyes and visions of Hizzonah da Mayuh diggin' into the same mess.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I kind of like deep dish pizza once in a great while - but only if the crust is worth the eating and worht the space in my stomach (one piece can be the end of the eating experience). Some deep dishes, like Gino's East, really do suck but if you like the crusts of a regular pizza from a regular joint then chances are the deep dish is just more of it!! It's a once-in-a-great-while thing but you can find decent deep dishes!!

:cool:

I kind of like deep dish pizza once in a great while - but only if the crust is worth the eating and worht the space in my stomach (one piece can be the end of the eating experience).  Some deep dishes, like Gino's East, really do suck but if you like the crusts of a regular pizza from a regular joint then chances are the deep dish is just more of it!!  It's a once-in-a-great-while thing but you can find decent deep dishes!!

:cool:

so what're some recommended places to go, beanpod?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

hmmmm??

Good question.

Pizza taste really depends on personal choice

once that is achieved then venture out of the box and go deep dish even a small size to try it!!

Then take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning!!

:biggrin:

hmmmm??

Good question.

Pizza taste really depends on personal choice

once that is achieved then venture out of the box and go deep dish even a small size to try it!!

Then take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning!!

so, I gotta go deep dish fishing? :sad:

I guess so - but it can be fun - just feed the animals outside the leftovers of those deep dishes you do not like - or give them to your father-in-law!

:laugh:

yeah, he's like Mikey (from the Life cereal commercials). Stan'll eat anything.

I think deep dish pizza is enjoyed by the young, male and drunk. All that grease and starch is good at mopping up beer. Enjoyed by rugby players.

No, strike male...I seem to remember a couple of tipsy pizza orgies at Gino's a looooong time ago.

Now? Well it's still better than tofu, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Wait a minute, are you guys saying that Chicago pizza is not synonymous with deep dish? You can actually get New York style pizza in Chicago?

Personally, I actually enjoy the deep dish style, once in a while. I like the Lou Malnatis and original Ginos.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wait a minute, are you guys saying that Chicago pizza is not synonymous with deep dish? You can actually get New York style pizza in Chicago?

Personally, I actually enjoy the deep dish style, once in a while. I like the Lou Malnatis and original Genos.

I like both. The only drawback, for me, in re to deep dish is that you arent able to eat as many pieces as eating a thin crust pizza. Gino's, Uno's, Malnatis, Pizzano's and sometimes Edwardos have very good to excellent deep dish...

The thing that amazes me about real Chicago deep dish pizza is that a single slice can contain more than 1000 calories, including, if you choose your toppings well, the USRDA of everything.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I heard today of a Chicago company that will deliver pizzas anywhere in the world in self-heating packaging. Anyone know who these might be? Apparently the pizzas are anything special but the packaging and novelty value are...

The thing that amazes me about real Chicago deep dish pizza is that a single slice can contain more than 1000 calories, including, if you choose your toppings well, the USRDA of everything.

Of course, you don't have a problem with that, do you???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Gadds! What is this Pizzano man? Can it be? A link, to LOU MALNATI'S?

Welcome brother! You've finally crossed over! You see the light!

I do prefer thin. But Lou's deep dish is damn good.

If Hopleaf and Beanpod can keep hitting one witty volley after another, they will soon become the Steve and Edie of eGullet. Ooooooooh, you say potato, I say patato...

I don't know a single native Chicagoan (suburbs included on this one) that likes deep dish pizza. Anyone I've ever ordered 'za with, eaten 'za with or prepared 'za with has always preferred thin crust...the thinner and crunchier the crust the better.

And how is 'za different from real pizza?

Being the cheese lover that I am, I must confess that I absolutely LOVE stuffed pizza. Back in high school I used to work the phones at Edwardo's pizza in the northern suburbs and one of the perks was being able to make and take home pizzas whenever I wanted. Damn they were good. But I think Lou Malnati's has one up on Edwardo's....mmmmm hot cheese. :wub:

*edited to change 'deep dish' to 'stuffed' pizza. I do not particularly care for deep dish style, it's the stuffed that I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEE. Thought you needed to know that :biggrin: *

Edited by Elizabeth_11 (log)

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

And how is 'za different from real pizza?

you hold the piz and add an apostrophe.

If Hopleaf and Beanpod can keep hitting one witty volley after another, they will soon become the Steve and Edie of eGullet.  Ooooooooh, you say potato, I say patato...

I usually side with old Hopleaf when it comes to pizza but I don't mind the deep dish thing as long as I like the crust - but he always wins!!

:rolleyes:

:smile:

I like hot, freshly made pizza, with good cheese, sauce, and toppings. Period. Quibbling about thickness is for tourists.

:wink:

*Ducking to avoid the slings and arrows of outraged crust partisans*

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I hate deep dish pizza. All that crust makes me feel like I'm eating a loaf of bread. Thin and crispy. :wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

:smile:

I like hot, freshly made pizza, with good cheese, sauce, and toppings.  Period.  Quibbling about thickness is for tourists.

:wink:

*Ducking to avoid the slings and arrows of outraged crust partisans*

Go ahead and Stand Tall. No crusts whizzing past your ears from this direction!

The Lady has Spoken, and the Lady is, as always, right.

(I hang my head and admit to once going to Navy Pier)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com