• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A big thank you to @shain for the fig pizza idea!  

Figs, goat cheese and roasted balsamic onions with sage, black pepper 

D38B85BA-D3F6-4D69-880D-C85979B64D92_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1a6531e43f79b294ef7f56522bd4b8d7.jpeg

Just a little mozzarella on the bottom to glue things in place!

What a beauty :)

I love seeing how much variety and possiblities can single recipe concept take.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

A while back, I made this recipe for Country Ham-Wrapped and Roasted Peaches from Deep Run Roots:

IMG_5961.thumb.jpg.d0b68371d0230a902d2623f382bf1ce5.jpg

Peach wedges get wrapped in thin slices of smoked country ham (I subbed prosciutto) and roasted.  They're served on gingered goat cheese (goat cheese, buttermilk & grated, fresh ginger) with a drizzle of balsamic honey and a sprinkle of sweet & spicy pecans. Very decadent.

With inspiration from @shain's peach pizza above, I decided to pizza-fy this recipe today:

IMG_2924.thumb.jpeg.ffea7bb743bd5f0e33d2b9c5f88af511.jpegto fi

I layered the gingered goat cheese mixture over the dough, sprinkled with a little mozzarella and the sliced peaches:

A91D0322-969E-46AB-8A99-764BB8627AF5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e3d7f657dcd2cf77c4c5a331d6b863fc.jpeg

Topped with pepperoni (subbing for the country ham or prosciutto)

D7F5EF2B-1744-4971-ADBD-8B30C40D6996_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b5a31f18fd4b741ce905f0f4a09b4329.jpeg

Baked:

913AA1D2-3173-4EFC-9543-CBE37F91DA1C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.db25e8cf3e6f6ddd24e66481d1aca4a2.jpeg

I added the pecans and drizzle of balsamic honey after baking.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix photo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

This is the first batch of dough I've made with the Caputo (red bag) -- up to this point I'd just been using the King Arthur I normally use for bread. Alas, I also used cornmeal to prevent sticking (I normally just use flour), so that's one variable too many: the crust was certainly decent, but I need to practice with it a bit to get it dialed in, I think. Toppings are just low-moisture mozzarella, basil, and whole grape tomatoes blitzed in the food processor with some salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

DSC_5831.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have found 100% of 00 Cuputo a bit much.

for a medium thick crust, settled on:

165g "00" + 115g semolina + 160g water + 5g yeast

I get the impression you eat a lot more pizza than we do, so ymmv.

• 1 month later...

Cauliflower and tomato chutney pizza

IMG_3151.thumb.jpeg.caceaf76b3bcce977ae14b2979d448b6.jpeg

I slathered a healthy spoonful of tomato chutney over the dough before topping with par-cooked cauliflower that had been tossed with a garlic and red chili-infused olive oil and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella. 

I wasn't sure about this so I only made a small pie and intended to use the rest of the dough for a pepperoni pizza but it works so I made another, just the same 🙃 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

wow I've never even heard about pizza with peaches! looks wonderful

definitely gonna try to cook it next weekend

I guess pineapple pizza is not going to be my fav pizza afterwards, haha

• Like 1

Roy

roymiller.blog@gmail.com

check out my blog :)

Hello @Rou222, welcome to eGullet.

My best pizza (to date) was goat cheese, peaches, fresh sage, with some mozzarella sprinkled on the top.

Edited by TdeV
Edited to add: and garlic, of course! (log)
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, Rou222 said:

I guess pineapple pizza is not going to be my fav pizza afterwards, haha

I'm not a fan of pineapple pizza with tomatoe sauce (I don't hatie it, but I'd prefer a plain slice anytime). However, I never thought of trying it on a white pizza until now. Mozzarella, pineapple, fresh chilies and a sprinkle of five spice. Might need something else to add moisture.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, TdeV said:

Hello @Rou222, welcome to eGullet.

My best pizza (to date) was goat cheese, peaches, fresh sage, with some mozzarella sprinkled on the top.

that sound delicious! 

• Thanks 1

Roy

roymiller.blog@gmail.com

8 hours ago, shain said:

I'm not a fan of pineapple pizza with tomatoe sauce (I don't hatie it, but I'd prefer a plain slice anytime). However, I never thought of trying it on a white pizza until now. Mozzarella, pineapple, fresh chilies and a sprinkle of five spice. Might need something else to add moisture.

yeah, I agree. Tomato sauce isn't the right choice. There are so many to choose from today... I personally like it with a blue cheese sauce.  

• Like 2

Roy

roymiller.blog@gmail.com

12 hours ago, shain said:

Coconut cream for the moisture, I would go with rosemary instead of five spice.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

Inspired by one of the calzone fillings in Modernist Bread, this is broccolini, caramelized onion, and mozzarella. The crust is a 100% Caputo (red bag), Modernist Neapolitan recipe, but no overnight ageing (not counting the poolish).

DSC_6745.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

I forgot all about this one until I was cleaning off my camera's SD card tonight: I had a fresh tomato from one of my colleague's kids, so went with olives, capers, rosemary, mozzarella, feta, and said tomato. The crust was a couple-day-aged Modernist Neapolitan with Caputo red.

DSC_6753.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

IMG_2622_cropped.thumb.jpg.aeb20b89559b26d91f24ae9e256ac54b.jpg

I couldn't find a topic for pizza problems, so I'm posting here.

My dough is made in the bread machine (60% hydration, two 490gm dough balls, 3/4 tsp yeast) and then rested in the fridge for 3 days (up to a week or so). This time I used the first batch after about 3 days. The dough sits out of the fridge for about 2 hours before I try to shape it.

I don't know anything about throwing a pizza, so I usually woman-handle it by pressing, drooping and pulling. Because of the shape of my pizza peel, my pizza is usually shaped roughly 13" (330 mm) square. The pan in this image is 14" (356mm) diameter.

In this case the dough was rectangular (about 16 to 18" on the long end) and I couldn't pull it into a square shape. I ended up folding the dough into thirds and then folding that in half, for a total of 6 layers. This dough was really stiff and wouldn't press or droop at all well. I didn't think to take a rolling pin to it. The pizza above at best was 10" (250 mm) on one side.

When the pizza dough doesn't shape as expected, what do you do?

I had sense enough to lower the oven rack and cooked the pizza for 6 minutes longer (total 12minutes). After cooking, the dough was 3/4" (20 mm) thick. FWIW it has the last of the slow roasted farmers' market tomatoes, grated Romano and Gruyère cheese, lots of black pepper, with an light underlayment of granulated garlic and onion. So it tasted okay, just enormously chewy.

5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

When the pizza dough doesn't shape as expected, what do you do?

If the dough starts pulling back, give it a rest.  Pour yourself a glass of wine or go for a walk around the block so both you and the dough get to relax for 10 or 20 minutes.  Pulling and tugging a stiff dough is just frustrating. 

I'm not an expert at all, so take this with a grain of salt.   I usually make a 12 - 14" circle with a 225g ball of dough that's usually 70% hydration and I don't have a bread machine but I do let the dough balls rest in the fridge for a few days. 

If the dough's been in a cold fridge for several days, it could take a little more than 2 hrs for 500g ball to warm-up/wake-up and be ready to shape, particularly if the kitchen happens to be cooler than usual.  If the ball seems stiff, especially if it feels cool, let it sit longer, maybe in a warmer spot.

I found Ken Forkish's videos that accompany his Artisian Pizza book to be very helpful.  I learned to let the weight of the dough do the stretching work.  The dough he's working with in this video is particularly supple and elastic so he's barely lifting it but I find that the method works well even if I'm letting all the weight of the dough do the stretching.  I don't throw anything, but I sometimes drape the dough over my hands to let it stretch.  If it gets tight, that's where everyone needs a break to relax!

Hope your next crust won't fight back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Thanks @blue_dolphin, I'll look at that video again before I make the second pie.

Still, what do you do if the dough turns into the wrong shape? Smush it together and . . . ?

Oh, I totally misunderstood and thought your dough was pulling back and didn't want to be shaped.  Forgive me for going on so much 🙈

As long as the dough is elastic and happy to be shaped, I just keep working it in the direction I want. 

once upon a time, I tried the dusted peel thing.... I suck at that....

so now I use a typical home kitchen oven, a baking stone, an aluminum cookie sheet, and . . . parchment paper!

bought some round sheets (Amazon) - cost worked out to about $0.05 more than the same "length" off the el-cheapo grocery store parchment.

it has one very convenient side-bennie - while the stone is in the oven getting to untouchable temps, one can see how big to make the pizza...

here is stone, here is parchment round

pizcom2.thumb.jpg.10090c9f7947dada83e0e329c01b0004.jpg

I put the dough on the paper, add toppings, use the cookie sheet "peel" in and out of oven.

this is my "I love black olives" pizza - always slide off paper to cooking rack - if left on paper the crust goes soggy....

pizcom1.thumb.jpg.76a4dbb2fae4efcf8e4fb0862643bf54.jpg

call me chicken, call me anything . . . don't care - parchment works for me!

• Like 3