• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

stagis

9 hours ago, Victoria36 said:

Ever tried shrimp, crab and lobster pizza?

I made a deep dish, square pie, stuffed crispy crust shrimp, crab and lobster pizza, with a pizza sauce and cocktail sauce mixture with old bay seasoning in the sauce..

Mozzarella cheese and diced tomato and with pesto.

I made it at home, I made my first $500 on it, selling it by making it at my restaurant.

:)

Not my thing personally, but I'm all in favor of anything that makes you money and attracts attention to your business.

My first step  at one of my jobs, immediately after culinary school, was running the under-performing pizza station. I was utterly shameless in throwing anything we had left over onto a pizza, and finding combinations that made some kind of sense to me. My proudest moment was probably the time we found a bunch of frozen squid while doing inventory. The Athens Olympics were underway at the time, so I stewed the squid, cooled it in its sauce, and then put it on a pizza with black olives, red onion, diced tomatoes and feta. I called it "The Olympian." :)

About half the people who looked at it made faces of disgust, and said "Oh my GOD! Squid? On a PIZZA?"

The other half looked at it with faces of delighted incredulity and said "Oh my GOD! Squid... On a PIZZA!" and cleaned us out.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, Victoria36 said:

I made a deep dish, square pie, stuffed crispy crust shrimp, crab and lobster pizza, with a pizza sauce and cocktail sauce mixture with old bay seasoning in the sauce..

I made it at home, I made my first $500 on it, selling it by making it at my restaurant.

A favorite local place (sadly closed now) used to have what they called a DelMarVA Pizza on their menu - shrimp and crab (no lobster).  We ordered it often.  But it was a white sauce pizza, not tomato sauce - I do not care at all for the combination of seafood and tomatoes.  It was cooked very carefully and the shellfish was still tender and sweet and not overcooked and dry.  No matter what kind of sauce you use, overcooking is something that you would have to really be careful about.  People will buy it once out of curiosity, but won't spend the money again if it is dry.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Victoria36 said:

Welcome to Egullet and congratulations on your success.   I’m a great fan of seafood in red sauce, it’s a staple of North End Italian food (I’m originally from Boston).  You sort of lost me with the cocktail sauce and old bay.   Love to see pictures of this or other things you make.   Where is your restaurant?

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

A favorite local place (sadly closed now) used to have what they called a DelMarVA Pizza on their menu - shrimp and crab (no lobster).  We ordered it often.  But it was a white sauce pizza, not tomato sauce - I do not care at all for the combination of seafood and tomatoes.  It was cooked very carefully and the shellfish was still tender and sweet and not overcooked and dry.  No matter what kind of sauce you use, overcooking is something that you would have to really be careful about.  People will buy it once out of curiosity, but won't spend the money again if it is dry.  

Crab Pizza is sort of a thing around here (DC).   I made a version for last years seven fishes in the Ooni Pizza oven using a jack Mornay sauce as the base.  I’ve only had two Crab Pizzas other than my own, and would be interested in anyones input with more experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could be tempted to try a seafood pizza - we're veddy fond of shrimp, clams, oysters, scallops, Ches blue claws . . .

my Flammekuchen uses creme fraiche - that tends to thin down/melt, not sure it's a good base for a "white pizza"

I can see popping the pizza&sauce in a hot oven to get it started, then add the seafood later so it does not rubberize....

so....whadda' ya'll use for a seafood "white pizza" sauce?

(I'm from Philly - not much history of white pizza to judge,,,,,)

• 5 months later...

I guess I think a pizza is dough and marinara and mozzarella with a few seasonings. 

A pizza with potatoes? Like can I have some carbs and some more carbs? How is that attractive? 

Let’s just throw anything on  pizza crust and call it a pizza. Fair enough I suppose but that wouldn’t fly in Northern NJ and with good reason. 

I used to get a slice of white pizza with potato at a pizza place in Morristown. Don't knock it until you try it, it was delicious...they used (probably) Yukon gold potato, sliced very thin, and had roasted garlic, also. Ligurians eat pasta with potatoes and pesto, so it isn't so weird.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

I used to get a slice of white pizza with potato at a pizza place in Morristown. Don't knock it until you try it, it was delicious...they used (probably) Yukon gold potato, sliced very thin, and had roasted garlic, also. Ligurians eat pasta with potatoes and pesto, so it isn't so weird.

In Alberta, "perogy* pizza" is a popular local offering: potatoes, sour cream, bacon, green onions, etc. Not to be outdone, a regional perogy manufacturer offers pizza-flavored perogies.

I can't say much, because here on the East Coast most pizzerias offer a "donair pizza," which is also an affront to purists everywhere. :)

*The favored spelling/transliteration in that location.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I haven't seen it in Nova Scotia however in both Quebec and Ontario one can enjoy either a pizza poutine (fries with sauce, cheese and pizza toppings) or a poutine pizza (a pizza with fries, gravy and cheese curds). I'd love to see Jon Stewart rant over that (if you haven't seen it check out his Chicago deep dish pizza vs. New York slice rant).

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@MetsFan5 

I understand exactly what you are saying 

there was Pizza , over time , in an area 

and that pizza , was red sauced .

believe me , plenty to work with , right there !

then , I had occasion to visit 

pepe's in , New haven , on purpose 

and , well  , the clam pizza 

\

and the bacon pizza 

fantastic crust , perfectly cooked 

with an exceptionally outstanding 

' bottom crust ' 

the sky is not the limit 

but a few additions 

would be surprising .