• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

stagis

• 1 month later...

I forgot all about this one until I was cleaning off my camera's SD card tonight: I had a fresh tomato from one of my colleague's kids, so went with olives, capers, rosemary, mozzarella, feta, and said tomato. The crust was a couple-day-aged Modernist Neapolitan with Caputo red.

DSC_6753.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This clever method for making caccio e pepe pizza is worth a whirl.

@Chris Hennes did something quite similar following the recipe in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza and shared his result just upthread here.

He had much more success than I did when I tried it.  The ice is supposed to melt into hot, starchy water which turns into a cheesy sauce when you add the grated pecorino Romano cheese.  Much of my crust blistered up, pushing the water into a small, deep pool in one corner.  I sprinkled the cheese on and shook the pizza as directed but just got a glob of thick cheesy stuff in that pool surrounded by hills topped with dry cheese.  I think I'd need a lot of practice to get it right!

Edited to add this photo of my sorry attempt.  I made it last year but I was too embarrassed to post!

IMG_1945.thumb.jpeg.e7298716612be9b505eb084be3615953.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

for me , the best pizza Ive had , and have had it several times,

is at Pepe's in NewHaven.

as I recall , they don't do round.

they do pan-ish

delicious those pizzas were ;

Bacon , and the other White Clam.

both at the

same time of course.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Chris Hennes did something quite similar following the recipe in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza and shared his result just upthread here.

I wouldn't really call it a success, though, I'll certainly never try it again. My most successful caccio e pepe pizza was my first, just adding Romano to the béchamel in a white pie and hitting it with a lot of black pepper at the end.

• Like 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1249031372_Pizza12-15.thumb.jpeg.2c194ae67e59f7df4416adc4d1eb32a8.jpeg

Really my best effort yet. Topped with a Sicilian cherry tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh local basil, olive oil. Cooked on the baking steel, blasted with the broiler for the final minute or two.

Total cook time about 4.5 minutes, which I think may be as short as it can get, though I'll shoot to shave another minute off. Still trying to figure out the best shelf for the steel when I want to use the broiler, which is super strong. My first pie on this evening might've been a little too much time under the broiler, though it still tasted good...

552968996_IMG_30852.thumb.JPG.16add555d324d7359da558d972a93ef5.JPG

But even approximated a round pie.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I highly recommend that you give this one a go. It's one of our favorite for years.

Lightly cooked tomato sauce, dry mozzarella, strong blue cheese, tart apples, fresh thyme. Lots of pepper after baking.

PXL_20201128_124200483.thumb.jpg.c991257e014ab4c149b92aeb403697cc.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...

Pizza night last night; always a time for reckoning.

I made and used a dough that had fermented overnight, but without refrigerating it. Just shaped, benched, and used. slightly lower hydration, KA Sir Gallahad flour (like 11.7%) - trying to get to the NY style crust. This did not achieve that, nor was it as good as the last crust I made. Still tasty, though I had a little trouble with the roundness on this one...let's call it Pizza al Taglio.

1793811645_Pizzaaltaglio01-08.thumb.jpeg.f89dd44a3f555d3728b3753359e59d3e.jpeg

Much more architecturally circular...

1572105299_Pizzaround01-08-21.thumb.jpeg.074961aa9f38f6bf88db5c167129dd9f.jpeg

I know, I know - parchment. I'm a wuss.

1024225768_Pizza01-08IMG_3295.thumb.jpeg.7f2d29305540e920a8723e0b920afe07.jpeg

1179044155_Pizzaup01-08-21IMG_3296.thumb.jpeg.b3d761f07274053ae424dcff7449f1f9.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

nost ovens have a window in the door.

if you drop that steel on the glass , well ...............

very difficult to replace.

some time ago I used patio ' bricks '  in my oven for baking bread

these are the oblong ones , and quite heavy 

two on the bottom rack ,  two on the baking rack , and one on each side of the baking rack

that's 6 patio bricks.  

I realized there might be a problem removing them 

when cold of course 

so I got a 3/4 " piece of plywood , put that on the open oven door

it was just a little bit smaller than the full door.  

covered the glass of course.

never had a problem , the board was like insurance 

kept me nimble and focused 

• Like 1

“Quattro stagioni” (except all are winter, and found in my fridge):

12’ - Tuna with onions

3’ - Pork belly roast with olives

6’ - Baked ham with olives

9’ - “Grünkohl” - boiled kale with Speck

B3A9BFE8-9DC0-4B13-887F-BD255D69997C.thumb.jpeg.91c2c2dbf8fb3f5e3c3480781623b80a.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

• 1 month later...

The crust is made using beer, one of my favorite ingredients to get a crisp crust with pockets of air inside the dough.  This one is topped with fresh mozzarella and a pesto made with walnuts.  I like the sweetness that the walnuts add to pesto.

Walnut Pesto Pizza.JPG

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, David Ross said:

The crust is made using beer, one of my favorite ingredients to get a crisp crust with pockets of air inside the dough.  This one is topped with fresh mozzarella and a pesto made with walnuts.  I like the sweetness that the walnuts add to pesto.

Walnut Pesto Pizza.JPG

This is the pizza dough recipe I use most of the time,

For the Pizza Dough-

4 1/2 tsp. dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 tsp. sugar

1 cup ale, warmed

1 tsp. salt

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

-Add the dry yeast, warm water and sugar in a small bowl and stir. Let the yeast bubble and "bloom," about 5 minutes.

-Pour the yeast mixture into the base of a mixer and add the warm ale.  With the mixture fit with the dough hook, add the salt and slowly add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  As the dough starts to come together during mixing, slowly pour in the olive oil. 

-Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and put the dough into the bowl.  Toss the dough to coat with the oil, then loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap.  Let the dough rise in a warm place about 2 hours or until doubled in size.

-Shape and add your pizza toppings then bake

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

When using artichokes as a pizza topping, how do you prepare them? I haven't decided whether to make Neapolitan or grilled pizza, but it will be something that cooks hot and fast. Can I basically make Carciofi alla Romana and put it on pizza? Or should I do something else?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

When using artichokes as a pizza topping, how do you prepare them? I haven't decided whether to make Neapolitan or grilled pizza, but it will be something that cooks hot and fast. Can I basically make Carciofi alla Romana and put it on pizza? Or should I do something else?

I'd be tempted to use t he pickled ones in a jar, drained and halved.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

6 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Nah, I have two fresh ones to use up from this week's Imperfect Foods order.

I'd make that carciofi alla Romana, and eat it alongside the pizza 😉. Why ruin two things?

66504752_ArtichokesRomana02-23.thumb.jpeg.7f19d87bc26547ca3713de362715077d.jpeg

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I only ever used frozen artichoke hearts for pizza (fresh ones have better usages, IMO, and pickled ones have a distinct flavor that I didn't want). I sliced them and gave them a brief pan fry with butter and chilled them. They didn't seem to soften much further in the oven. Very tasty over a white pizza, finished with lemon zest and just a few drops of juice. 

IMG_20200823_223116_1.thumb.jpg.8d5a57ccc2d5972abaa6d34dc4153e5d.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

17 minutes ago, shain said:

I only ever used frozen artichoke hearts for pizza (fresh ones have better usages

Maybe you get good frozen ones; the frozen I've tried here - tasteless and useless.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I categorically reject the notion that I should only seek a "better use" for these artichokes. Maybe if they were some rare, exotic plant that might make sense, but that's not the case. I have some artichokes. I want to put them on pizza. That pot of @weinoo's certainly looks good, and I bet I could turn its contents into a pizza topping :) .

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org