• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

stagis

People put prosciutto on pizza, which is about the same cost per pound as a good soppressata.

What a waste, to each their own.

I like lobster on pizza.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

People put prosciutto on pizza, which is about the same cost per pound as a good soppressata.

I like lobster on pizza.

Well, my comment was directed at the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza.

I think that's dead wrong.

So, okay:

In my view, the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza, is dead wrong.

Edited by heidih (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like lobster on pizza.

Well, my comment was directed at the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza.

I think that's dead wrong.

Perhaps I should have stated it more clearly.

So, okay:

In my view, the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza, is dead wrong.

And I'd just like to add that I think Wolfgang Puck would agree.

• 8 years later...

Okay, not ordinarily something I would do, but for various reasons I am making a corn and zucchini pizza. There are recipes scattered about for such a thing. Almost all suggest a pre-cook for the zucchini or summer squash. About half the recipes pre-grill the corn before cutting the kernels from the cob and then topping the pizza. Many recipes just tell you to put raw kernels on the pizza. What would you do? I can pre-cook the corn kernels (no grill these days) but do I need to?

Yum! I've used leftover thawed frozen corn as pizza topping. Didn't bother pre-cooking it, just chucked it on. I've also used leftover cooked corn on pizza. Can't recall it being noticeably different. 

Yah, thanks for reinforcing what a bad idea this is. The zukes have been ribboned, salted and patted dry, then fried so the edges are a bit crispy. I don't think they will be too wet. I'm more worried they will be burnt. Sorry to hear that the Chinese love corn on every pizza. That I would never have guessed. You will all be happy to know that the other pizzas are tomato and radicchio. Both my husband and my nephew are vacuum cleaners and will eat it all. The reason for all this is that one out of four people are in need of pizza with no tomato sauce or cut tomato. There will be plenty of cocktails and wine, and home made peach buttermilk sorbet for desert, which I have already started in on before dinner. Cheers! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yah, thanks for reinforcing what a bad idea this is. The zukes have been ribboned, salted and patted dry, then fried so the edges are a bit crispy. I don't think they will be too wet. I'm more worried they will be burnt. Sorry to hear that the Chinese love corn on every pizza. That I would never have guessed. You will all be happy to know that the other pizzas are tomato and radicchio. Both my husband and my nephew are vacuum cleaners and will eat it all. The reason for all this is that one out of four people are in need of pizza with no tomato sauce or cut tomato. There will be plenty of cocktails and wine, and home made peach buttermilk sorbet for desert, which I have already started in on before dinner. Cheers! 

Photos are mandatory

13 minutes ago, Ashen said:

Apparently corn on pizza is a big thing in Japan too, although they also add Mayonnaise.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/mayonnaise-pizza-dominos_n_2495421

Round here if it's not corn, it's durian!

I like durian, but not on my pizzas, thank you.

I've seen the mayonnaise thing in Japan. Sweet Kewpie mayonnaise at that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, Ashen said:

Apparently corn on pizza is a big thing in Japan too, although they also add Mayonnaise.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/mayonnaise-pizza-dominos_n_2495421

Where is the Mr. Yuk icon? I'm aging myself by actually remembering this commercial.

Seriously though, if millions of people like corn on pizza so much, it might be worth a shot. Mayo, probably not so much, although it seems to work with Mexican street corn.

I'd also be interested to hear how @Katie Meadow's corn and zuke pizza turned out.

> ^ . . ^ <

Much to my own surprise it was very good. My husband, nephew and his wife all thought it was great. I briefly sautéed the corn with garlic and cilantro and some roasted poblanos. The recipe called for candied jalapeños. I made them the day before, but they turned out to be of such high heat that I decided against using them. To compensate for the pickling part, I added a little japanese pickle to the corn. The zucchini was sliced in wide thin ribbons USING A CHEESE SLICER NOT A MANDOLINE and sautéed in a little olive oil until the edges were a bit crispy. When building, half the pizza had a modest coat of tomato sauce and the other half was simply brushed with olive oil. The mozz went on first, then the zukes, then the corn. It really was quite tasty. You could call it South of the Border Flatbread if the idea of corn pizza is disturbing.

One thing that interfered with my ability to assess the final result was that I couldn't see it. We are having a freaky hot spell here in the bay area so we ate outside (lovely!) By the time my husband brought the corn pizza out it was pretty dark. I am one of those people who likes to see my food, and a couple of atmospheric candles don't cut it. But even the most skeptical of the four of us (me) thought it was yummy. Of course I am a person who is not to be trusted. Although I am mostly a pizza traditionalist and minimalist, I do have my quirks: I really like pineapple on pizza, with or without ham.

• Like 7

Being one of those who likes corn in most all applications, my first thought is, "well, why NOT corn on pizza?" 

And my next thought is some sort of iteration of Mexican street corn, with crema and cotija.  And tomatoes. 

H'mmm. Retiring to ponder same.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

At first the the thought of corn on pizza made me sort of crank my head to the side in bewilderment.

But I did survive tuna on pizza in Spain–so why not?  I'd give it a try. :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

43 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

At first the the thought of corn on pizza made me sort of crank my head to the side in bewilderment.

But I did survive tuna on pizza in Spain–so why not?  I'd give it a try. :smile:

Here, the tuna pizza comes with corn!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Here, the tuna pizza comes with corn!

Yes, but the Crayfish pizza does unfortunately not ... but they have mayonnaise under the cheese. Ever since living a Japan I do like seafood/sweetcorn/mayo combination a lot. Maybe we could petition for adding sweetcorn ?

WP_20170702_09_50_05_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the pizza list from the menu of my local pizza place. (I think if you click on the image you will get a larger version.)

20170902_135042.thumb.jpg.a653c189ce03bc2831d9e2dbf208e5ca.jpg

There isn't a single mention of corn, but please believe me every darn one has corn except (so far) the mixed fruit pizza  and the durian pizza (not that I've eaten either, but I have seen them.)

They will hold the corn if you ask (and they remember to tell the people who assemble the things).

Note: "Hot" here means 'popular', not 'spicy.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yes, but the Crayfish pizza does unfortunately not ... but they have mayonnaise under the cheese. Ever since living a Japan I do like seafood/sweetcorn/mayo combination a lot. Maybe we could petition for adding sweetcorn ?

Pizza Hut here is doing crayfish pizzas at the moment. Whether or not they have corn, I don't know. I never go there - just seen the advertising. Disgusting food pre-assembled and partially cooked in a factory 1000 miles away, frozen then microwaved.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

Found it. I knew I took a picture of the advertising.

59aa53bce944c_crawfishpizza.thumb.jpg.db0782e58c792b9ed53fde134373a69e.jpg

Looking more carefully, I see that it's described as 麻辣小龙虾比萨 (má là xiǎo lóng xiā bǐ sà), mala being the classic Sichuan taste from cillies and Sichuan peppercorns. I see no corn (but they may be hiding it! That would be typical!), but I do see peanuts. Seems like some sort of mutant Crayfish Kung-Po Pizza.  No respect for Sichuan or Italian cuisine, that company!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Here is the pizza list from the menu of my local pizza place. (I think if you click on the image you will get a larger version.)

I would love to taste the Shrimp and Crab and Black Pepper Beef, sans corn and mayo  for my order, please. :) I'd like to add a little thin sliced onion to the Shrimp and Crab along with a little garlic. I want to add a few hot peppers and more thin sliced onion to the Black Pepper Beef one, please. I love reading menus. So many food fantasies going through my admittedly warped little mind. :D

Have you tasted any of these, liuzhou? If so, how are they?

Seafood on pizza seems weird to some, but I have made Pepe's (New Haven, CT) clam pizza on homemade crust to Micheal Stern's (Road Food) description of it for many people, and they love it. My beloved nephew was skeptical, but pronounced that I'd "pulled it off" in spite of his doubts. Sooo good.

> ^ . . ^ <

19 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Have you tasted any of these, liuzhou? If so, how are they?

Unfortunately, yes. Only one. The classic bacon one. I did manage to persuade them that I really, really didn't want corn on it. I should have asked for no pizza on it, too. It was horrible.

They cook them one at a time on one of those stupid, small conveyer belt ovens which are nowhere near hot enough. THe base is more like sponge cake than like pizza crust. The "cheese' was processed gloop and the topping wasn't any form of bacon I've ever seen before or since.

Years ago, we had an excellent pizza place in town. Best pizzas I've eaten outside of Italy. No one went but me! So, of course, they didn't last long. Weeks after it closed, Pizza Huit opened its first store and the locals were lining up along the street, waiting up to two hours to get in for their foul imaginings of Italian food. I wanted to weep.

In the last couple of years, there has been an explosion in pizza places, but I'm sure no one who works in them has ever seen or eaten a real pizza. They've just seen pictures and decided that what the pictures lack is some CORN!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I've done some pretty shameless things with pizza in the line of duty (ie, in the interest of using up odd bits left over from other parts of the operation). They mostly tasted okay, if you were able to wall off that part of your brain from any ideal image of what pizza is supposed to be. 

I think my proudest moment was when I stumbled across a case of squid in the freezer. The Athens Olympics were underway at the time, so I braised the squid and put it on a pizza with fresh tomatoes, black olives, red onion and feta. I called it "The Olympian." About half the people who came through said "OMG...squid? On a pizza?" and shuddered and moved on. The other half said "OMG!...Squid!...On a pizza!" and ordered it. To me, that was a pretty big win. We eventually ordered in more squid (smaller quantity) and put it on again, because people kept asking. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning