• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw Sauce

Fat Guy

Uncooked tomato sauce -- must be done with great summer tomatoes. Just chop them up, add a lot of salt and more olive oil than you think necessary, crushed / finely minced garlic (if you don't want to eat the raw garlic, you could use garlic-infused oil), some basil, some pepper, and let them sit out on the counter for a couple of hours. If you add it to hot pasta it will warm up nicely -- it's a great showcase for good tomatoes.

Uncooked tomato sauce -- must be done with great summer tomatoes. Just chop them up, add a lot of salt and more olive oil than you think necessary, crushed / finely minced garlic (if you don't want to eat the raw garlic, you could use garlic-infused oil), some basil, some pepper, and let them sit out on the counter for a couple of hours. If you add it to hot pasta it will warm up nicely -- it's a great showcase for good tomatoes.

Yes, I do much the same thing except with oregano and a touch of sherry vinegar as well. Sometimes some crispy lardons or pancetta; often with crumbled chevre.

Allie D'Augustine, I see this is only your second post but you'd joined in March. Welcome and please post more often. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I found a recipe for lime and serrano chili sauce that is awesome. It actually tastes great on chicken! Haven't had a chance to put it on anything else...

Could you add it to the recipe archive, please? I just yesterday bought a bunch of juicy limes, and I always have serranos on hand -- so I've got the sauce waiting to happen! Thanks . . . :smile:

aioli (proper pronoun: Luscious)

...made with homemade mayonnaise! Yum! I love making mayonnaise as it is the basis for so many other sauces, especially aioli.

Rant: According to the American Egg Board, "Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the [salmonella] bacteria."

This means that if you eat one undercooked, or raw, egg a day from the day you are born, you could reach the age of 54 years, 9 months before being in contact with the bacteria.

End Rant

Sorry, but when I made my Ceasar salad dressing for my restaurant the health dept made me put, "Made with raw or undercooked eggs" after its description on the menu.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The two all time favorites around here are:

I make a tomatillo salsa that is fairly chunky with lots of jalepeno, onion, garlic and cilantro, sometimes with some parsley thrown in or other green stuff like basil or mint. It is a take off of some stuff we used to get in a little cafe in Tampico.

The other is a Chiapas marinade recipe out of Zarella's "Food from My Heart". It is called a marinade but it is also used thinned as a sauce, mixed with crema, etc. It is basically anchos but has ginger, allspice and other stuff. I think that sauce would be good on dog crap. This is one of the few recipes that I never stray from on pain of death.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The two all time favorites around here are:

I make a tomatillo salsa that is fairly chunky with lots of jalepeno, onion, garlic and cilantro, sometimes with some parsley thrown in or other green stuff like basil or mint. It is a take off of some stuff we used to get in a little cafe in Tampico.

The other is a Chiapas marinade recipe out of Zarella's "Food from My Heart". It is called a marinade but it is also used thinned as a sauce, mixed with crema, etc. It is basically anchos but has ginger, allspice and other stuff. I think that sauce would be good on dog crap. This is one of the few recipes that I never stray from on pain of death.

Uncooked tomatillos? Never tried that. Good idea.

Sorry, but when I made my Ceasar salad dressing for my restaurant the health dept made me put, "Made with raw or undercooked eggs" after its description on the menu.

Because what if the one egg in your salad that you serve to one customer is the egg that has the salmonella. Your customer doesn't care that there were 19,999 good eggs.