• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw Sauce

Fat Guy

Uncooked sauce, salsa crudo . . . what are your favorites?

I'll start:

Chimichurri.

I've been using a packaged version but I'm sure it will be better if I make my own. Anybody have a good formula?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

salsa verde

chopped herbs (usually basil and parsley, but I'll use whatever's in the garden and a lot of the time that means thyme, oregano, mint, instead of basil) with garlic and olive oil...options include anchovies, capers, preserved lemon

and this one thing that I think should be chopped by hand

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Chimichurri

2 cups flat leaf parsley chopped fine

4 fat garlic cloves (or more to taste) chopped fine

2-3 jalapenos seeded and chopped fine

1/2 cup white vinegar

1 teas kosher salt

ground black pepper to taste

1/4 cup good quality olive oil

Combine all ingredients let sit 1 hour to develop flavors.

Do not refrigerate.

If any is left over bring back to room temp before serving.

Besides Gloria's Mexican Roasted Tomato Salsa Fresco....Vinaigrettes...I make a million kinds....Paprika soy, Ginger/Balsamic (use ginger juice, amazing with good balsamic, good soy a little sugar, canola and sesame oils), parmesan vin (with lemon, garlic, reggiano), etc. Good with salads, good with fish--well, except the parm. .

Scamhi, what happens if you make a ton of it and eat it for like a month? Does it deteriorate a lot?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

scamhi's recipe is great - I use half cilantro and half parsley, and use rice wine vinegar. After a while chimichurri will turn black like pesto, I think freezing would work well though.

Is there any evidence of chimichurri evolving from salsa verde?

pico de gallo is another great uncooked sauce; and that Catalonian sauce with the peppers and almonds; and mayonaise

Edited by guajolote (log)

CW Spencer - waht exactly is a "parmesan vin"?  It sounds like it would be good even without knowing what the ingredients are.

good red wine vinegar, lemon juice, raw garlic, kosher salt, and grated reggiano. it's basically caesar dressing without the cloying egg. But use fresh lemon, good red vinegar (EVO makes a good one), fresh cheese and fresh garlic...for a nice change use green garlic.

Theres a turkish sauce/dip thats made with red peppers, tomatoes and walnuts, but its name escapes me. Its awesome with pita bread.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This discussion points up how many great and important sauces are, in fact, uncooked, that is to say, raw.

Jason, possibly muhummra (I'm sure I've spelling even a variant of the variants incorrectly) you're talking about? I've had a similar thing from an Armenian chef raised in Iraq ... only no tomato. Red pepper puree (sometimes a little spicy), finely chopped walnuts, pomegranate molasses. Unbelievably delicious.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Theres a turkish sauce/dip thats made with red peppers, tomatoes and walnuts, but its name escapes me. Its awesome with pita bread.

You're thinking of Muhammara (var. Mouhummara, M'hammara, etc.)

I like Paula Wolfert's recipe (see below) and it definitely benefits from sitting for at least a day; really helps the flavors meld. Sometimes I just use sambal oelek in place of the whole chili.

RED PEPPER DIP WITH WALNUTS AND POMEGRANATE (MUHAMMARA)

Adapted from "The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean"

by Paula Wolfert (HarperCollins, 1994)

Time: 30 minutes, plus overnight refrigeration

2 1/2 pounds red bell peppers

1 small hot chili, like Fresno or hot Hungarian

1 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely ground

1/2 cup crumbled wheat crackers

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses, more to taste

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, more for garnish

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons olive oil, more for garnish

1. Roast peppers and chili over a gas burner or under a broiler, turning frequently until blackened and blistered all over, about 12 minutes. Place in a covered bowl to steam for 10 minutes. Rub off skins; slit peppers open and remove stems, membranes and seeds. Spread peppers, smooth side up, on a paper towel and let drain for 10 minutes.

2. In a food processor, grind walnuts and crackers with lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, salt and sugar until smooth. Add bell peppers and process until pureed and creamy. With machine on, add olive oil in a thin stream. Add chili to taste. If paste is too thick, thin with 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Refrigerate overnight.

3. To serve, let dip come to room temperature and sprinkle with cumin and olive oil.

Yield: about 3 cups.

EDIT: This recipe was reprinted with permission by the author

I prefer raw sauces to cooked and like everything mentioned plus a couple others I can't think of at this moment but when someone else posts it I will say oh yeah that one too! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I prefer raw sauces to cooked and like everything mentioned plus a couple others I can't think of at this moment but when someone else posts it I will say oh yeah that one too! :biggrin:

Shoyu and wasabi?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Shoyu and wasabi?

oh yeah that one too! :laugh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Scamhi, what happens if you make a ton of it and eat it for like a month? Does it deteriorate a lot?

FG

It loses some of its fresh bite after 24 hours. It will keep at most for 1-2 weeks. The parsley color turns dark green and the garlic presence really lets itself be known.