• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How often do you eat Indian food?

Suvir:

You'd be interested to know that my father cooks a Madhur Jaffrey Chettinad Chicken recipe, except that he quadruples the amount of urad dal, and it's very popular among my immediate family and their friends (mine, too, when they've been to my folks' for dinner). More recently, he found another recipe (I forget by who) of a different Chettinad Chicken that is even better.

I would like know which of the Madhur Jaffrey's cook book has Chettinad recipe with urad dal. Cooking with Prashad has no urad dal and I am used to making following this book.

Sorry, Prasad:

It's my father's cookbook and it's uptown at his place. Beats me which of the Jaffrey cookbooks it was. Hmmm...I think it's the semi-soft cover one (sort of a hard soft cover, if you know what I mean) that has intermediate-sized pages and pictures of some dishes inside. That's about the best I can do. And it might even be a false memory, as it might be from the hardcover cookbook...

If I called him, he might or might not remember which one it was from, offhand (doubtful he'd remember the actual name of the book) but it's way too late at night for me to call him about such an unimportant matter.

Michael aka "Pan"

Suvir:

You'd be interested to know that my father cooks a Madhur Jaffrey Chettinad Chicken recipe, except that he quadruples the amount of urad dal, and it's very popular among my immediate family and their friends (mine, too, when they've been to my folks' for dinner). More recently, he found another recipe (I forget by who) of a different Chettinad Chicken that is even better.

I would like know which of the Madhur Jaffrey's cook book has Chettinad recipe with urad dal. Cooking with Prashad has no urad dal and I am used to making following this book.

Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India has a recipe for Chettinad Fried Chicken on p 206. Uses only 1/2 tsp urad dal so this might be the one.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Suvir:

Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India has a recipe for Chettinad Fried Chicken on p 206. Uses only 1/2 tsp urad dal so this might be the one.

I am sure it could be the same one.

Last year Madhur had a luncheon in her country home in upstate NY.

One of the dishes she prepared was a Chettinad style salmon. The sauce was superb. The fish was barely steamed for minutes and everyone enjoyed this dish thoroughly.

This was only one of many wonderful dishes.

Suvir:

I am sure it could be the same one.

Last year Madhur had a luncheon in her country home in upstate NY.

One of the dishes she prepared was a Chettinad style salmon. The sauce was superb. The fish was barely steamed for minutes and everyone enjoyed this dish thoroughly.

This was only one of many wonderful dishes.

Pam

Thank you. Not a big deal. Don't worry. I have the hard cover book and it's not in that. I will look into the soft cover one as well.

Suvir and Skchai thanks for your help, I love chettinad cooking and I actually visited the home of Chettinad.

Prasad

Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India has a recipe for Chettinad Fried Chicken on p 206.  Uses only 1/2 tsp urad dal so this might be the one.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the one.

I think my father uses a couple of tablespoons. We love urad dal!

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...
If you own an Indian restaurant, can you share with us what your meal pattern is?

Would Mac Donalds surprise you?? and irregular to say the least.

Usually after dinner is over you do not want to bother your employees as they have cleaned up the kitchen are tired and looking forward to going home, so you stop at a fast food on the way home or hope your wife has something interesting in the fridge.

In a lot of Indian restaurants, specially at lunch, a staff curry is prepared It could be a simple chicken curry with vegetables or some homey lentils, but it will invariably be different from the a la carte menu as most restaurant staff specially cooks are looking for something different.

I have noticed in numerous places the practice that if something is left over in the saute pan after an order, it is dumped into a communal pot and the staff will eat the resulting hotch potch at the end of the shift with rice, roti or nan. I dont know if this is being frugal but whenever I have tasted this, it was wonderful and always diferent.

Another interesting item I remember is 'Hadi' ( hindi for bones). Sometimes when lamb or mutton is deboned and the chef has the time, he will prepare a light curried stew (almost soupy) with the bones that have some meat attatched to them, this was fabulous with fresh tandoori roti and there were always snide comments about its aphordisiac qualities.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia