• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Foods-- nomimono

torakris

This sounded interesting

gallery_6134_4148_318155.jpg

Canadian Gold (apple flavored tea with maple syrup)

It was so awful I couldn't even finish it!

There is another apple tea out there that is quite good, but this had this awful fake apple taste at the first sip then you tasted the tea then it was followed by an even more awful fake maple flavor.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

The new drink Black from Kirin Lemon

gallery_6134_4148_585780.jpg

As the bottle says it is an unforgettable flavor, and I am wishing I could forget it...

At restaurants with self service drink counters my 6 year old son likes to put a little bit of everything into his cup, this is what it tasted like. :shock:

I can't believe that I bought Pepsi just so that I could get one of those magnets! :shock: I stopped drinking soda when I moved here because there are just too many tasty tea drinks, but alas, I fell into the marketing trap. After I saw Torakris's post, I went looking everywhere for the Pepsi bottles with the magnets and finally found them after looking in several different stores. I got the same type as Torakris's blue one, but in red. Getting free little trinkets with your drinks is pretty fun! :biggrin:

I remember a number of years ago suddenly those black sodas were very popular, then suddenly the were gone. I doubt they are any better now, either.

My mission today is to find some of those magnets!

• 1 month later...
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=bizarre&id=5395624

IVE GOT TO HAVE SOME!

Have any of you had any yet?

I've been following all the news of this on blogs since it was announced and also am in the 'I've GOT to try this' camp!!!

I'm a huge fan of cucumber spa water, cucumber in Pimms, cucumber anything. Sadly I think the US market is never going to see this, we're just too puritanical about our sodas. It seems like if it's isn't brown, clear or orange it's not likely to hit our shelves.

If anyone finds this online to buy or would be willing to ship, I'd be willing to pay premium for a bottle or two :)

I had some yesterday! :raz:

I spent the day cooking yesterday with a Korean friend of mine and I saw it at the supermarket when I was picking up ingredients so I took a bottle to her house to try.

The color is cool! in both senses of the word. :biggrin:

This is definitely a summer drink and the only word that I can think of to describe it is refreshing. I will definitely be buying it again and so will my friend.

I can't imagine what it would cost to ship from Japan but if anyone really wants it and can wait a month I will be touching down in Cleveland in 27 days! It is also currently on sale at my local supermarket for 98 yen ($.80) a bottle from the normal 150 yen, so let me know.

What a coincidence that my co-worker showed up with a bottle soon after I read the original post! It's a really cool color and generated a lot of "sugoi!!"s and curiosity in the office. I thought that it tasted more like melon flavored candy than cucumber and it was a lot sweeter than I expected. It tastes more like syrup than a refreshing cucumber water beverage, but I think that I will drink it again. If anyone has ever smelled Bath & Body Work's Cucumber Melon line of products, the smell of this soda will be familiar. I'm definitely planning to bring some back home for my friends to try.

I wanted to bring some to the States as omiyage, but after checking out a grand total of 7 convenience stores, I came out empty handed! :angry: The drink has been a big hit, I suppose!!

Water Salad is a Japanese beverage from Coca Cola co. Japan.

Is it sweet? Does it taste like salad? (I see tomatoes.........)

it was a lot sweeter than I expected. It tastes more like syrup than a refreshing cucumber water beverage,

:sad: That is disappointing. I love cool cucumber lemon water; I had hoped it would be similar. (Target has a cucumber water )

I wanted to bring some to the States as omiyage, but after checking out a grand total of 7 convenience stores, I came out empty handed!  :angry:  The drink has been a big hit, I suppose!!

Check your supermarkets, these are the only place I can find it at currently.

I can't imagine what it would cost to ship from Japan but if anyone really wants it and can wait a month I will be touching down in Cleveland in 27 days! It is also currently on sale at my local supermarket for 98 yen ($.80) a bottle from the normal 150 yen, so let me know.

God would I love to try a bottle. PM me if you think you can fit one in your suitcase. Should be easy to mail to Toronto from Cleveland....a nice 3 hour drive.

officially left egullet....

• 2 months later...

I cannot believe this day has finally come! I was at one of the konbiniyas (specifically, Izumi-ya) here on the weekend, and spied bottles & bottles of Dakara which came with Pigling Bland figurines.

Pigling Bland is a character in the Beatrix Potter books who loves to dance ballet. Here's a picture of what the figurines look like (I have no idea what the blog says): so cute! There are 6 different figurines.

Anyway, I bought 4 bottles just for the piggies (I gave 2 to my friend who is as obsessed with Japanese cutesie figurines as I am). The best part is, Pigling spins!! When you slide the magnetized bottle or fridge towards Pigling, the magnetized Pigling figurine spins as it's pushed away. SO CUTE :wub:

I wish Gatorade & all those gross North American sports drinks tasted like Dakara & Pocari Sweat! :angry:

Edited by chocomoo (log)

• 1 year later...

I had that one as well, but I was disappointed - what I really wanted was a mint julep I guess. Next time I'll add bourbon. I usually enjoy the Kirin World Kitchen series. Yesterday I had a great new juice from Tropicana: "White Blend", with white grapefruit, peach, lychee and a couple of other juices I forget. I was just the thing for my burgeoning cold. Stopped it dead.

• 7 months later...

Next Monday Coca Cola Japan will release their newest: green tea coke

according to the article:

Rival Pepsi Cola is countering with another exotic cola - Japanese basil-flavored "Pepsi Shiso," which hits stores in late June.

Gokuri grapefruit beverage is still my favourite grapefruit beverage of all time.

They just came out with blood orange, and also a peach one. The blood orange was good (not as tart as blood orange juices can be), but grapefruit still kicks a**. I've not tried the peach one, yet.

Gokuri grapefruit beverage is still my favourite grapefruit beverage of all time.

They just came out with blood orange, and also a peach one.  The blood orange was good (not as tart as blood orange juices can be), but grapefruit still kicks a**.  I've not tried the peach one, yet.

That is one of my favorite drinks!! I haven't noticed the blood orange one, I'm going to have to check it out. I have really been enjoying the blood orange hi-chu.

• 3 weeks later...

They just came out with blood orange, and also a peach one.  The blood orange was good (not as tart as blood orange juices can be), but grapefruit still kicks a**.  I've not tried the peach one, yet.

That is one of my favorite drinks!! I haven't noticed the blood orange one, I'm going to have to check it out. I have really been enjoying the blood orange hi-chu.

Haven't seen the blood orange down this way yet, been looking for it since I saw the post. I have to agree with you both, the grapefruit is awesome!

The wide top kind of reminds me of drinking Mickey's Big Mouth beer, too.

I'm drinking the new Pepsi Shiso as I type this and really like it. It is a hard to describe taste but it definitely has a shiso/herbal taste. My (American) nephew wanted to spit it out on the first sip as he didn't care for it at all.