• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Foods-- nomimono

torakris

I just noticed the new Choya (umeshu) line up includes a brandy based umeshu targeted to men and a carbonated umeshu with kokutou (black raw sugar) in a can.

I would love to try the second one......

I recently had Kirin's ume flavored chu-hi and really enjoyed it, my favorite was the yuzu flavored one though. Kirin chu-hi line up

Next month Kirin will be introducing 2 tea based chu-hi, right here.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

For those interested in discovering more about umeshu, this weekend's Japan Times has a great article on the recent boom.

Sweet Tipple Comes of Age by Yukari Pratt

The writer did a good job by correctly identifying ume as apricot, rather than the more common rendering of plum. Now if I could just get our local liquor store to carry the Choya brand with the plums, I could make some ume pound cake.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 2 weeks later...
Another interesting drink I just noticed on the shelves:

Shochu with black sesame seeds

That actually sounds interesting. If I see it I will buy it and let you know.

I bought something called La Tomato at YaMaYa about a month ago hoping it would have some real tomato flavor. Unfortunately it was disgusting and artificial tasting :sad: So I am a little wary or buying other gimmick liquors.

Dydo also launched Kabosu-Yuzu drink in Japan.

You may have chance to find this product also in Marukai.

Homepage of Dydo company

http://www.dydo.co.jp/dydo/release/060303.html

Japanese female born and grew up in Kansai area (western Japan incl. Osaka,Kyoto) now living in Tokyo for 10 years. Love to cook and go for dining esp.Italian,Korean and Chinese.

My blog themed on cooking and dining in Tokyo:http://travel.web.infoseek.co.jp/blog

• 1 month later...
Dydo also launched Kabosu-Yuzu drink in Japan.

You may have chance to find this product also in Marukai.

Homepage of Dydo company

http://www.dydo.co.jp/dydo/release/060303.html

I am going to keep my eye out for this one!

Have you tried it yet?

I have already got this from Marukai in LA!!! It is soooo good! It tastes just like the Skytime Yuzu Beverage from JAL! I think it is the same actually, same company that makes it at least.

• 3 weeks later...
Evertime I'm in Japan, its always Suntory or Boss coffee from the vending machine in the morning, and calpis sometime during the day.   At last year's beer festival in Tokyo however....I discovered the best beer I've tasted in my life.   Koshihikari from Niigata.   I think its beer made from Koshihikari rice.

All I can say is WOW...super smooth, crisp, flavourful and a nice finish.  Absolutely amazing.  Dunno where to buy it in Tokyo though....but I will look for it next time!

Was it this?

I found some others too, such as this and this.

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this drink at Uwajimaya in Seattle. I had no idea what it was when I grabbed it - I'd never seen it before, so I thought I'd give it a try. Imagine my surprise when I looked at teh ingredients, and saw listed: water, fructose, and CHILI PEPPER. I don't read Japanese, so I don't know what this is exactly, but it had a peppery, cinnamon-like taste. Not really spicy, just sort of peppery with a subtle chili flavor.

gallery_33373_2451_410989.jpg

Cool can!

I have never seen it but sounds good. The name is:

tansan (carbonated) bombe (a gas cylinder)

and on the right it says:

umasa bakuhatsu (basically "delicious explosion") :biggrin:

Thanks for the translation, Kris! I would definitely say that it was a delicious explosion! Also, after peeling off the English ingredient list sticker, I saw a website for this particular product: http://www.suntory.jp/BOMBE

Again, it's all in Japanese, so I have no idea what's going on... But it looks cool!

Thanks for the translation, Kris! I would definitely say that it was a delicious explosion! Also, after peeling off the English ingredient list sticker, I saw a website for this particular product: http://www.suntory.jp/BOMBE

Again, it's all in Japanese, so I have no idea what's going on... But it looks cool!

now I can see what was on the left of the bottle, it contains guarana. This is a South American seed that has ben popping up in quite a few drinks here, and according to this website I have linked to all over.

• 1 month later...

Some drinks I have had recently.

Pepsi Carnival, I wasn't prepared for the orange color!

Fanta's Loves Berry--this was really good

gallery_6134_2590_33749.jpg

and I as I type I am drinking this one

gallery_6134_2590_366.jpg

a lemon tea, I am worried that this was a summer product I missed. This was really good but I found it at a drug store for 75yen (half of the 150 it normally would be) so i have a feeling it is the last of the stock..... :sad:

The pepsi had a sort of non-descript flavor, it wasn't really orange tasting which is why the orange color threw me off. If I had drunk it straight from the can I never would have known it was orange. I was sipping it really slowly trying to figure it out, the closest I came up up with just cheap generic cola flavor... :hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...
Guess what I found at Marukai today.... Yuzu-Lemon drink that tastes exactly like the Skytime Yuzu drink from JAL ...I think it is the same one....same company at least (Dydo).

It was delicious!!!!  now I dont have to fly to Japan just to drink it :biggrin:

Picture of Yuzu-Lemon drink

I picked a bottle of this up yesterday and I'm drinking it now. It's really quite pleasant. It went down really easily. I'll have to pick up more next time I'm back at the market I got it at.

Cheryl

• 3 months later...

I found this in the supermarket yesterday, yuzu green tea. I liked it, the green tea had a subtler taste than most green tea drinks and there was a just a hint of yuzu.

gallery_6134_4148_235429.jpg