• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Thai Curry Paste

Hi,

I made a wonderful red curry with chicken, potatoes, and green beans thanks to mamster's recipe.

But now I have a ton of curry paste left over. I've read it only keeps for 2 days in the fridge after it's opened. Is this true?

What about my tamarind concentrate?

Edited by jogoode (log)

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Whoever told you that???? I've kept the paste in my fridge for ages, and it's still okay (although perhaps not quite as strong as it once was). Tamarind concentrate also keeps just fine. But you'll probably find lots of ways to use THAT, so it shouldn't be an issue.

However, it's the coconut milk that does not keep more than a day or 2.

oh my god, i'm embarrassed to admit it, but i've had various colors of thai chili paste in the fridge for years. i've noticed no difference in flavor, although i do try to buy a new tub about once a year when i think about it. it's not expensive, and if it's available, why not. but certainly at least 2 months. if not a year.

Homemade pastes I freeze

store bought I refrigerate

not sure why :wacko:

because you don't add preservatives when ya make them at home?

stuff don't grow in that stuff. because it's too acidic. or something. or not. :blink:

That makes sense, Thanks!

I knew there had to be a reason for it, I just didn't feel like exerting my brain at the moment :wacko:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That makes sense, Thanks!

I knew there had to be a reason for it, I just didn't feel like exerting my brain at the moment :wacko:

you're too pretty to think. you just let tommy do all the thinkin round here and everything will be OK. K?

oooohhhh! Thank you!

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I buy Maesri curry paste, and don't even keep it in the fridge. According to the label, it contains no artificial colors or preservatives, and the ingredient list confirms this. When I lived in Thailand, I never knew anyone who refridgerated the stuff.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

How do you keep your palm sugar from becoming concrete?  It's worse than brown sugar.

Uh oh, sounds like a job for...M I C R O P L A N E!

jeez, i've got to get a life. :raz:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

My palm sugar is always like concrete.

I buy it in those cute little discs and just grate it when I want to use it.

what disc? i have mine in a tub. if i could get out even a *little* i'd use suzanne's microplane idea. but damn, it don't come out. i would love a "disc".

I got my palm sugar at a local Asian market in poker chip sized pieces. They had it in a tub as well but I had heard about the problems breaking it up.

Anyways, my microplane went through the poker chip sized palm sugar like a knife through butter.

My palm sugar is in a glass jar. I take the lid off and microwave it for about a minute at half power. It gets soft and sticky so it is hell to measure but that is the only way to get it out of a jar. I can't find the discs.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose