• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Market

plax

The Fresh Market has just opened a branch in Aventura. I went there for the first time today and was impressed with the beautiful layout & merchandising, the gorgeous produce & meats. Anybody have experience with this store? They have branches in North & South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Florida.

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Fresh Market has a design format that makes it appear to be a quaint little green grocer. The lights are fairly dim, produce is well displayed, meat/cheese/seafood/deli counters appear to be well stocked. However, once you look pretty closely, you recognize that they're just OK. Their meat department is fine, but the seafood I've seen is generally pretty bad. Produce is extremely limited. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, stick with that (although Fresh Market may be a bit more competitive on price). Otherwise, FM may be a decent alternative.

Good luck!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I grew up on the Fresh Market. (I'm pretty sure their Lawndale store in Greensboro, NC was the first in the chain.) I still visit when I am in Greensboro to see my folks. My level of culinary understanding has shifted quite a bit, as has the availability of "gourmet" foods since I first entered the Fresh Market, but I still think it's a pretty good store for what they do. Their produce is not outrageously expensive, yet it's at least as good as what you find in a high-end Harris Teeter type market. They carry a great selection of bulk candies, including jelly beans. They were the first people I remember seeing in Greensboro selling truffles by weight, though I don't know whose truffles they sell and doubt they make their own. They also sell a lot of bulk nuts, grains, and beans plus trail mixes and snack mixes. I love their ale nuts and always buy some when I visit. And they were the first folks in town to offer more than one type of coffee, plus they always have at least two types available for sampling.

Their bakery and fish departments leave much to be desired. I was chagrined to find the fish clerk knew far less about fish than I do, and found myself teaching her quality points the last time I stopped in a store. I asked why she didn't know so much about fish yet worked the fish counter. "Oh, I don't like fish. I guess they just put me here. Don't know why." This, and they charge $1-2/lb more for fish than the better supermarkets at lower quality points. As for the bakery, I don't think they bake anything to speak of in-store. I should ask if they use a commissary or some other method of supplying stores next time I'm around.

I have visited the Pembroke Pines outpost of the Fresh Market several times. I'm not overly impressed.

The meats look slightly better than what Publix has to offer. Rather than saying they look better in quality, I'd say that they are cut heartier -- it's the same USDA Choice AFAIK.

The only item on the seafood counter that ever caught my eye was WILD copper river salmon. In South Florida (like anywhere else), most of the salmon is farm-raised. In comparison with Whole Foods I'd say that Whole Foods wins on seafood.

I have had a few of their prepared sandwiches - mediocre.

Their wine selection is decent, however, South Florida Publix branches have stepped up the competition (especially the 52nd & Sheridan Hollywood location). Their produce selection leaves alot to be desired, with the exception of the occasional interesting item like brussel sprouts still attached to the bark they grown.

that's my 2 cents

Rich

South Florida

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Fresh Market in Columbia, SC that I shop at all the time.

However, recently a new Earth Fare opened and I believe it is about to clean Fresh Market's clock !!

:hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...

Greensboro just got an Earth Fare and it has been supremely dissappointing. I still make the 40 minute drive to Winston Salem to shop at Whole Foods, which is by far the best (over Earth Fare AND Fresh Market). However, I rarely make a trip to the beach without stopping for a pound of Fresh Market's Jalepeno Pimento Cheese. They have the best commercially produced pimento cheese I've found. They also sell those chocolate dipped peanut butter filled pretzels, so the store does have some redeeming qualities. :raz:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Yeah, I had to visit Earth Fare right after they opened, while visiting my folks in Greensboro. I was not impressed. My parents were quite excited about it though. If I lived there, I'd probably stick to Deep Roots Market for hippie natural foods, the farm market for produce, and a combination of Harris Teeter and Fresh Market for the rest.

• 7 years later...

Bumping this topic. Anyone have any opinions on Fresh Market today? The one near me is quite "shi shi". They have an excellent selection of baked goods that are quite tasty. I particularly like something they call Kitchen sink cookies - that have coconut, butterscotch chips, oatmeal, raisins...pretty much everything but the kitchen sink.

I like their bulk candies - a great place to pick up gummy worms. :biggrin:

And they have the small packets of spices so you don't have to buy a large amount.

Their cheese selection is ok and more expensive (as far as I can tell) than other stores.

Generally I don't do any regular shopping there but I do like to swing through once in a while and pick up some specialty items.

As I mentioned in the MOthers Day 2011 post we got the whole "picnic" lunch for my MIL there yesterday.