• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril inks five year deal

jhlurie

As a lay-person, I'm not sure why everyone says Emeril's show is so much worse than other cooking shows. It is tacky and silly. And even I can see where he makes short-cuts without explaining them. But doesn't everyone do that? (I once would like to see a t.v. chef tell people -- "You should let the onions sweat for another 5 to 10 minutes but I don't have time for that.")

Other than Alton Brown, who do you think is doing a good job actually cooking on their show -- and why?

Mario. Res Ipsa Loquitor.

I know you like Mario. And I like Mario.

But I can't forgive him for teaming with that moron, Rooney. (What's the deal with Rooney -- does he own the Food Network or something? Why does he keep appearing on the shows?)

And Mario no ipsa loquitor. I mean, he can barely speak English at all. It makes his shows painful to watch. Doubly so when Rooney is on.

And substantively, I'm not sure I see so much of a difference in the actual cooking information imparted. (Although Mario points to the map of Italy a lot.) But then again, I'm not paying that much attention, and, what the hell to I know anyway.

Edited by Stone (log)

I agree.  Mario.

Yes, but even Mario doesn't explain everything - mostly due to his time limitations. His food would be much better served by an hour as opposed to 30 minutes.

Sara Moulton as well.  It may not be the prettiest, most complex food on the planet, but she explains things well, in my opinion.

Agreed, Pixelchef. She explains everything - too much so in my opinion... but I probably have a little more knowledge than the average housewife. :wink:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Mario. Res Ipsa Loquitor.

I know you like Mario. And I like Mario.

But I can't forgive him for teaming with that moron, Rooney. (What's the deal with Rooney -- does he own the Food Network or something? Why does he keep appearing on the shows?)

And Mario no ipsa loquitor. I mean, he can barely speak English at all. It makes his shows painful to watch. Doubly when Rooney is on.

Rooney is the Enos to Roscoe P. Coltrane equivalent in Mario Eats Italy. Roones also shows up in Alton's repetoire so you'd have to bash him too. I think we'll leave that up to Tony. I think he works as a great cat scratching post for Mario's dark side.

From an interview with FoodTV Canada:

And what about Steve Rooney? Your "buddy" on Mario Eats Italy?

Mario: Steve Rooney. He's Canadian. I met him through Mean Streets Production, which does the Good Eats show. He was the real cook behind the making of the show. And Mean Streets did the first two seasons of Mario Eats, and they said "Why don't we try giving you a cohort or buddy?" and he was the one they brought in and it worked out really well. He's funny. Anyhow, I really had fun with him. His wife had a baby and now he's moved back to Canada.

Yes, but even Mario doesn't explain everything - mostly due to his time limitations.  His food would be much better served by an hour as opposed to 30 minutes.

I agree about Mario as well, I've cooked more of his food than anyone else's (second is Sara). Re: an hour, that's the assumption and he usually says how long something is going to cook. Occasionally though he does say that he's cooking in real time like with pan flashing squid and octopus.

I like Sara as well and I too find her to be unchallenging but she has good ideas which translates very well to the average homemake. For instance, my folks and family simply worship any of the recipes I've made from her though they were easier than pie.

p.s. I used to say easy as pie but have you tried to make a truly great pie crust? It's not that easy and it's a lot harder than Sara's recipes.

I think everything's been said about the guy...Anything else is redundancy grounded in a cry for attention.  Look at me...Look at me...

I was so NOT going to post anything on this thread, having said what I needed to on previous threads.... HOWEVER....

CWS, I assume you are probably younger than me... I am forty 'friggin' four.... emphasis on friggin... which is like 305 or something in dog years, anyway...

In my day, tv was black and white and Gypsy Rose Lee had her own talk show... those were the days... We also had an incredible tv chef/instructor named Julia who taught Americans that food is actually something good to eat.... Julia's success of course inspired tv spin offs...one notable one being Graham Kerr a/k/a The Galloping Gourmet....

Graham, in a word, was a fop. Cute, silly, handy with the double entendres and lascivious grins.... In my opinion, he did absolutely nothing to advance cuisine of any kind, and more often mangled his dishes with an overindulgence of clarified buttah. But his tv shows were popular with the ladies... and in his own way he encouraged homemakers "to kick it up a notch..."

Years pass.... As Fukui san says... "Whose cuisine reigns supreme...?" We all know the answer... Julia is revered for her brilliance and Graham never amounted to much more than the Trotting Gourmet... or was that the gourmet with the trots...

My take on Emeril, is that he is a decent chef with a very engaging personality, and he has great potential. In the Julia special on PBS he showed her how to make a darn good New England Clam Boil.... In those moments you saw Emeril the chef and food enthusiast, not the Man with the Bam... In drum lingo, pardon the pun, he's got the chops...

I don't like the show Emeril Live, for reasons others have stated, but I think, like Oprah, he could clean up his act and have something special... I don't begrudge Emeril his fame and fortune, but it IS time to put the baloney away and bring out the prosciutto.

ohhh. thank god...I thought she was going to put me in my place. i guess that award will go to msramsey today. thank you msramsey for blocking the pm so I couldn't come up with some catchy retort to your last comment.

Let's just say i've already got those.....

Emeril, dead subject or cow shit fertilizer for our dark sides. I still assert that the guy is a mute point. Let's just let him collect his checks be done with it. I think their are plenty new fish in the sea of food neglect. Let's fry them instead.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

1. I may just change my screen name to dull Henckel, because it makes me giggle.

2. Emeril didn't ink a 5yr deal so much as take a sweaty forefinger, dip into a banana cream pie and make his mark on the bald head of FTV. Face it, spatula fans, he be the backbone of that channel.

These putzes in the board rooms want to make money for the network so they can justify their jobs, they got a good reliable dog and he's running good track.

those "putzes" want to make money so they can have a network. i find your analysis laughable at times.

I'd like to see that nice Anthony Bourdain a-sittin' at the old Emerilbar, that's what I'd like to see ... but could somebody clue me in if this should begin to happen on account of I don't watch the show and wouldn't know otherwise.

Thank you in advance for any help,

I remain,

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Personally, I don't think we should be so angry at Emeril being successful. We should instead be angry that he hasn't done more with that success. So he had to pull schtick like "BAM" to get to the top. Fine. The question is, once you ARE at the top what do you do with it? Besides a shitty sitcom, I mean.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Emeril inks a deal, good for him. He may not be my personal cup of tea – but how many hometown Americans spends hours on a website debating the virtues of Veyrat & Passard, where Wylie Dufresne started, say Oh-toe instead of Ot-to, tasting menus with wine flights in Omaha, Nebraska, etc, etc……….

Face it, if you can get people interested in “ANY” food tv – something good will come of it. Sure, you’ll see some growing pains in the beginning but as with any network – there will eventually be something for everybody. Geez, I have WineTV at home, go figure.

Say what you want about Emeril though – I respect his work ethic.

These putzes in the board rooms want to make money for the network so they can justify their jobs, they got a good reliable dog and he's running good track.

those "putzes" want to make money so they can have a network. i find your analysis laughable at times.

Then my work is done tommy.

Emeril inks a deal, good for him. He may not be my personal cup of tea – but how many hometown Americans spends hours on a website debating the virtues of Veyrat & Passard, where Wylie Dufresne started, say Oh-toe instead of Ot-to, tasting menus with wine flights in Omaha, Nebraska, etc, etc……….

Face it, if you can get people interested in “ANY” food tv – something good will come of it. Sure, you’ll see some growing pains in the beginning but as with any network – there will eventually be something for everybody. Geez, I have WineTV at home,  go figure.

I respect his bank account.

I respect his bank account.

Face it, if it's not Keller, you have harsh criticism for them all.

He got that bank account, as you say, through hard, legal work...not what you would choose to do with your talents and skills, but what he chose to do. You've chosen a career in the Private Dining Sector, not every chef would make that choice... its a choice of how you want your career to proceed...and while you are a talented writer, I love your similies and metaphors, is there any way you would consider a different adjective than "fucking"?

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

You've chosen a career in the Private Dining Sector, not every chef would make that choice... its a choice of how you want your career to proceed...and while you are a talented writer, I love your similies and metaphors, is there any way you would consider a different adjective than "fucking"?

read my last post about Chicago and no, that's a word I coddle like an oxygen mask on a crashing jet

The private sector gig, as you call it, is taking its toll on my life. Why do you think I started writing? I'm a cash house chef by nature.

Ok, you're right. I'm boxing myself into a corner with all of cursing and hate. It's just easy I suppose. If it means anything I'd shake Emeril's hand and eat his food in his presence...Hey, that's the best I can do. At least I realize I have issues. Maybe one day, when I've sold a couple books and you meet me at a ghetto bookstore you can slap my face. I'd have deserved it by then.

"He is, by professional standards (whatever you think of his recipes, his food or his delivery) neither a punk, nor a pretender. He put in his time "

That was my point. No doubt he is a successful professional chef even if he doesn't cook much these days, and if you don't like the show don't watct. He's not an idiot.

Oh hopeleaf...man was i really tuning in to your commentary...that is until i saw you put The Black Hole Sun girl herself (otherwise known as the queen of clean--Rachel if it comes shrink wrapped and chopped Im buying Ray-- into the same catergory as Bourdain and Alton Brown.  Of course to each his/her own.  But watching her cook reminds me of why I'll never make in food television.  I don't smile when I fucking hack at my finger with a dull Henckel.

I didn't necessarily mean to group Rachel Ray in with the likes of Brown and Bourdain (that almost sounds like a Wall Street law firm) as if the three are of the same ilk. I was just mentioning who I thought they should re-sign instead of Emeril. I like Rachel's 30 Minute Meals. Of course she's not in the same category as some of the more established chefs on the network.

On another note, I find your metaphors funny and entertaining. Plus, 'fuck' or any derivation of the word is simply wonderful. It's the best, most used, word in the english language.

And lastly, one more thing about Emeril. If the network had shown one iota of insight, they would've re-signed him (since they just had to) for 90 new episodes of Essence and only 26 new of Emeril live. That would've diminished the obnoxious presence he exhibits on the Live show and increased his exposure on a show that people can more readily accept.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway