• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril inks five year deal

jhlurie

I used to be a fan of the Food Network.

But then, Emeril took over.

Gone are the days of David Rosengarten (and "Taste"), and Julia re-runs. Now we've got schlock on America's Best and All Emeril, all the time. Maybe they should rename the network to Emeril TV? Then he can be a true media mogul.

Underneath all that lard and smoke and mirrors he may be a talented chef, or even a chef with something special. What gets me though is why he thinks he has to act that way. I think he gives the average viewer less credit than the viewer deserves. There's a fine line between boorishness and brilliance, and he routinely crosses the line from idiot savant to village idiot.

Cheerio,

Soba

Just to get back to someones comment ....

Alton Brown is not a chef, he never claimed to be a chef and he does not WANT to open a restaurant. He is just a guy who has a great show, likes food, teaching and movies :smile:.

As for Mario (St. Mario), he is also great but I thought his shows got cancelled since I haven't seen him on TV for a while now, is this correct?. MM is a great show.

Everything I wanted to say about Emeril has already been said. Good for him but "Emeril Live" gets on my nerves these days ,I used to like it a lot and he is one of the celebrity chefs who got me going for my love for food and I thank him for that. "Essence of Emeril" is much better and more interesting for me. On the culinary side, his recipes are very good and eating at his restaurants has been a wonderful experience.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

As for Mario (St. Mario), he is also great but I thought his shows got cancelled since I haven't seen him on TV for a while now, is this correct?. MM is a great show.

I would ponder that the lack of Mario-Vision is moreso his choice. I don't see many other chefs able to turn out 3 dishes in, almost real-time while extolling the sunny climate of San Marzano, the historical significance of Sauce Bolognese, Wine-making in Tuscany, and unemployment compensation for NY businesses.

I would ponder that the lack of Mario-Vision is moreso his choice. I don't see many other chefs able to turn out 3 dishes in, almost real-time while extolling the sunny climate of San Marzano, the historical significance of Sauce Bolognese, Wine-making in Tuscany, and unemployment compensation for NY businesses.

Good point Gordon. You know what he's done that got me wanting to buy him real estate in the region of his choosing? He's gone back to the kitchen. Good for him. He's good in re-runs too.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

Hell people who has time to watch tv anymore....ever since I started school I am freakin lucky if I get home in time to watch the second show of cooks tour on friday night....as for emeril, who's that?, lol....Oh by the way doesn't anyone ever watch Jamie "the prison bitch" Oliver? I bet Tony does.....j/k tony.

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

Oh what the hell is this?  Eclair boy is on television talking about patty shoe again.  He's got that fuckin' I love my life because I"m getting strange every night look.  Smiling in my face, talkin' about patty shoe.  Evil shit.

Chef, flip to the weatherchannel, put the remote down, take a deep breath, a long pull on your beer and chill. I mean, if he really bugs you that much, don't just sit there and watch him while the stupid shit he does gets under your skin. Get off the ledge, man!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Oh what the hell is this?  Eclair boy is on television talking about patty shoe again.  He's got that fuckin' I love my life because I"m getting strange every night look.  Smiling in my face, talkin' about patty shoe. Evil shit.

Chef, flip to the weatherchannel, put the remote down, take a deep breath, a long pull on your beer and chill. I mean, if he really bugs you that much, don't just sit there and watch him while the stupid shit he does gets under your skin. Get off the ledge, man!

I'm so disgruntled with the decline in programming quality and intelligence that I had a friend come over last week and block the channel with the 'parental code' control. Only he knows the code. FTV has lost me for good.

is this on tfn or the oprah show - which he was on about 4:30 edt this afternoon. she was doing a whole food theme show - he uncle's fried catfish, popping in on her memphis neighbor's to see what they were cooking then emeril comes on to make okra and shrimp gumbo with andouille and green onion cornbread

sorry if this adds to your #$*&^)!@ angst chef

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh what the hell is this?  Eclair boy is on television talking about patty shoe again.  He's got that fuckin' I love my life because I"m getting strange every night look.  Smiling in my face, talkin' about patty shoe. Evil shit.

the Travel channel? Well the Travel Channel is telling me that more tornadoes are on the way. That's in addition to the 60 that ripped through here a fews days ago and killed as many people in Jackson, Tn. Maybe I'll just go cook.

Oh by the way doesn't anyone ever watch Jamie "the prison bitch" Oliver? I bet Tony does.....j/k tony.

Hey, watch it! I happen to like Jamie. Not his show, but I love his recipes.

I agree...

It is easy to make fun of the guy but IMHO he is a great cook and almost all his recipes that I tried work perfectly. He is energetic, loves food and inspiring. The "Naked Chef" is amuch better show than "Oliver's Twist" though. I also really admire (YES I KNOW THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CULINARY PROWESS PER SAY) what he did with 15 and the effort and personal cash he invested in this non-profit place. The best for him.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Oh what the hell is this?  Eclair boy is on television talking about patty shoe again.  He's got that fuckin' I love my life because I"m getting strange every night look.  Smiling in my face, talkin' about patty shoe.   Evil shit.

the Travel channel? Well the Travel Channel is telling me that more tornadoes are on the way. That's in addition to the 60 that ripped through here a fews days ago and killed as many people in Jackson, Tn. Maybe I'll just go cook.

Actually, on the travel channel at 4 (edt) would be Great Chefs. A fine, fine show.

Oh what the hell is this?  Eclair boy is on television talking about patty shoe again.  He's got that fuckin' I love my life because I"m getting strange every night look.  Smiling in my face, talkin' about patty shoe.   Evil shit.

Actually, on the travel channel at 4 (edt) would be Great Chefs. A fine, fine show.

They should call that damn show "How to Over Garnish with Heavily Pimped-Out German Guys."

They should call that damn show "How to Over Garnish with Heavily Pimped-Out German Guys."

True.. you would think they would have shows with these chefs.  Nope.

[edit:  they do have a couple]

They throw a genius into the mix every once in a great while...like I saw Roger Verges doing some artichokes Barigoule and I think I remember seeing Jean Georges doing his orange zest crusted shrimp....but you have to weed through the shows to find these guys.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

I think the best way to deal with Emeril besides using the guy in an occassional schticky situations like on eGullet is to let him fade away in to the mire without all of this back and forth.  He did pioneer a thing or two so let's let him have his cake...I just  personally refuse to watch him eat it.  But we're goddamned forced to if we want to tune into food television.

I think your last point is the big one: that the abundance of Emeril has taken over the TV network. It's certainly chased me away from turning on the channel (as has the station's east-coast centricity, which means that there are many shows I can only see at weird hours... but that's another thread).

I don't begrudge the guy his success. I mostly feel sorry for him. He's obvious a serious chef who loves his business... and he earned admiration more for his ability to say BAM! than for what he does best. It's like having someone gush over you for folding your napkins cutely and paying no attention to the perfectly cooked meal.