• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme have arrived !

chopper

It is good to here that Krispy Kreme has what sounds like a quality product with good taste entering the market.

The next chance I get I will get a dozen.

I have long ago given up on Dunkin Donuts. I found the taste is way too artificial.

I have noticed that Dunkin Donuts have been disappearing throughout Montreal.

and strangely enough I know of only one Dunkin doughnut store in Toronto. This is strange because I think Toronto has a bylaw that requires there to be at least 1 doughnut shop every 500 m on any major thoroughfare.

One of the great thing to do in Toronto is drive out to the Krispy Kreme shop in Missiaaauga, set up a lawn chair acoss the street, and watch the people in the drive through start to fight. :laugh:

Is this going to be the draw to L'acadie Blvd?

I personnally cannot stand them.

I hate when large corporations take over food industries... I think it was a couple of months back I was reading the latest release from Macdonald's... how they were planning on creating a one dollar meal very soon... can anyone imagine the processing ????

I wouldn't be suprised if Krispy offers those great vietnam beans that have almost killed the coffee market.

Last year I drove to North Carolina with the family, in the smallest and larger towns, I could not find any (and I mean any) stores that offered anything better than krispy kream and fast food joints. That, is truly a sing of the declining empire.

It I have noticed that Dunkin Donuts have been disappearing throughout Montreal.

and strangely enough I know of only one Dunkin doughnut store in Toronto.  This is strange because I think Toronto has a bylaw that requires there to be at least 1 doughnut shop every 500 m on any major thoroughfare.

One of the great thing to do in Toronto is drive out to the Krispy Kreme shop in Missiaaauga, set up a lawn chair acoss the street, and watch the people in the drive through start to fight. :laugh:

Is this going to be the draw to L'acadie Blvd?

There are, they are all Tim Horton's :biggrin: . In fact, I know of two Tim Horton's here in Oakville, side by side. :blink: The Krispy Kreme location in Mississauga is a riot - . I remember when it first opened, you could wait in line for over an hour just to get donut. Not this girl. Although, I must confess, I had my first Krispy Kreme donut in Las Vegas this weekend and it was pretty awesome :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I hate when large corporations take over food industries... I think it was a couple of months back I was reading the latest release from Macdonald's... how they were planning on creating a one dollar meal very soon... can anyone imagine the processing ????

I wouldn't be suprised if Krispy offers those great vietnam beans that have almost killed the coffee market.

Last year I drove to North Carolina with the family, in the smallest and larger towns, I could not find any (and I mean any) stores that offered anything better than krispy kream and fast food joints. That, is truly a sing of the declining empire.

You have a point there. It's always disheartening see large chains squeeze out smaller businesses that offered a better product but didn't necessarily have mass appeal. Makes it harder to find "real" food. :sad:

I have yet to eat a Krispy Kreme but at this point I'll try anything. Quality wise, Dunkin has been on the decline for awhile now and I never really liked Tim Horton's.

As for McD's, they are now struggling because it has taken them this long to offer "healthy" meals (ie, small, expensive salads) and a cheap menu, much like what Wendy's has been doing for years.

Per capital, Canada has the biggest concentration of donut shops anywhere in the world.

------------

Steve

Which is why we all need to be skilled in Basic Life Support, cause God knows we can't get an ambulance! :laugh:

Per capital, Canada has the biggest concentration of donut shops anywhere in the world.

------------

Steve

Which is why we all need to be skilled in Basic Life Support, cause God knows we can't get an ambulance! :laugh:

True, but you'll likely find a cop at any donut shop corner :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have long ago given up on Dunkin Donuts. I found the taste is way too artificial.

In Minneapolis, Dunkin Donuts have all but disappeared. However, most of the old Dunkin Donut stores are still donut places -- all independent (and not under the DD name) run by Vietnamese immigrants. They make wonderful donuts, and most of them do sandwiches at noon.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I do agree large corporations have ruined the American food and restaurant market and it is creeping outside the US borders. I for one would like to see more independent restaurants and I do support them. But KK doughnuts are highly addictive and hard to resist when they come fresh from the fryer.

In Minneapolis, Dunkin Donuts have all but disappeared. However, most of the old Dunkin Donut stores are still donut places -- all independent (and not under the DD name) run by Vietnamese immigrants. They make wonderful donuts, and most of them do sandwiches at noon.

BTW, my girlfriend told me that there are now Krispe Kream like installations in most club price/costco in Quebec (she confirms the one in St Hubert). Exact same real time equipment as krispy kream, apparently they taste exactly the same... Of course, the kids were sampling big time, she said she had to tie them to the cart just to keep moving, while everyone was crying for more...

I know that the KK opened up yesterday, but i swear to mars that i saw a lady carrying not one, but TWO boxes of KK on sunday.

yeah, i tried a segment of a KK yesterday, and it was good, but waiting in line for over an hour...? uh... okay...!?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Hey Identifiler,

I saw one of the KK like installations in the Price Costco at Brossard, but they are nothing like the one in KK. This machine is maybe one meter wide, makes donuts the size of toonies and coated with cinnamon. They are good, but not really the same a KK.

Riboflavinjoe,

Two boxes of KK is nothing. The first time I went to TO to pick up some KK, we were 4 guys, and bought 18 dozens (18 boxes) to bring back to Montreal. We crazy about it then! But now I can maybe have one, once in awhile!

Riboflavinjoe,

Two boxes of KK is nothing.  The first time I went to TO to pick up some KK, we were 4 guys, and bought 18 dozens (18 boxes) to bring back to Montreal.  We crazy about it then!  But now I can maybe have one, once in awhile!

I think what Ribo (if I can call him Ribo) meant is that he saw someone with two boxes on Sunday, a couple of days before opening day. That is, from what I've heard, that they started distributing sample (whole dozens !!!) before opening. :smile: They know, if they are able to make people taste them, they are sold! Just to make their point, I live in Michigan and my brother from Montreal came for a visit and tasted KK donuts, I had, for the last three years, to bring some back everytime I go back home to visit... Finaly, I won't have to do that anymore! :rolleyes:

Kareen

kareen, that was an astute observation, it was exactly what i meant. and sure, go ahead, call me ribo, internet people usually do...

that story of bringing donuts to montreal all the time reminds me of back home in labrador.

whenever someone was going from goose bay to the coast, they were always requested to bring something back from goose for family, since products on the coast are so expensive. you'd see people going with cases of toilet paper, and so on, and recently, (speaking of donuts) goose bay got a tims, so now people are always going with a box of timbits...

hee hee and haw haw...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I have been on the Atkins diet for a week (no carbs..anything bread related is a big no no) but my 10 year old daughter begged me to take her to Krispy Kreme. We waited in line for only about 10 minutes (I have never waited in line for doughnuts). As we got towards the front of the line an employee came out offering free samples. Although I shouldn't have accepted because of the diet, I took one for research purposes only....

Perhaps it is because I haven't had a piece of bread in almost a week but that doughnut was orgasmic!

Note to self: Return to Krispy Kreme to put back all the weight

Wow, my first post on this board, and it's in a thread about DONUTS, of all things... :huh:

Anyway, I'd just like to say that, yes, KK is great - I've been to the location in Mississauga. But, in reference to the sub-title on the thread, I really don't think that TimHorton's should feel threatened at all - they sell an entirely different product and their marketing has been incessantly promoting soups, sandwiches & combe deals. I think that the donuts part of the business is taking a back seat... (and with good reason.)

Raspoutine, I guess the point is that while they are very tasty donuts indeed, who eats donuts?

I liked the one I had but will I go back? I doubt it. I never go to Tim Horton's or Dunkin Donuts so the arrival of a higher quality alternative is of only passing interest.

Now if Rosalie would only open a drive-thru window for the hamburgers and fries... That would be fast food that would interest me.